Risky to purchase TiVo Mini via Ebay (used)?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by snedecor, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Jan 8, 2016 #1 of 34
    snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm coming back to TiVo after straying to Dish for too long.

I've seen TiVo Minis for ~$120 new, on Amazon, and for less on Ebay (~$50).

I don't know enough about any pitfalls associated with buying them used.

Do they have ESN's or such, locking them to certain devices?
    They don't have hard drives or anything moving that could go bad with time, do they?
    Did earlier models (which might be for sale used) have problems that have been solved by newer production runs?

Thanks for bringing me up to speed!

2. Jan 8, 2016 #2 of 34
    spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I would ask for the TSN and ask Tivo if its got lifetime

3. Jan 8, 2016 #3 of 34
    snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX
    Huh?

I thought TiVo mini's automatically came pre-activated with All-in plan at no additional cost...

Is this not the case? Someone in the know please set me straight!

4. Jan 8, 2016 #4 of 34
    BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Depends on when the mini was originally purchased and activated. Older ones had monthly service charges or required a lifetime purchase. This is why the advice to ask for the TSN so you can check with Tivo what the real situation is.

5. Jan 8, 2016 #5 of 34
    snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX

Advertisements

Thanks, guys!

Did not know this. I'll have to modify my buying strategy...

Any other "gotchas" I'll need to know about?

6. Jan 8, 2016 #6 of 34
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    There have been two models: 62000 and 63000 (the current one). The remote on the 62000 is IR only. The 63000 model remote is RF by default although RF TiVo remotes also can function as IR remotes -- and need to in order to control TV on/off and volume.

Many posters here have been able to get free lifetime on mini's that were previously on monthly subscriptions. The previous owner must cancel their subscription. Then the new owner goes to the TiVo.com website, to their account, and activates it. This does NOT work if you try to talk to TiVo support via phone for the activation -- and they will not even admit such a procedure exists.

Hint, when trying to connect mini and TiVo box, force the TiVo box to connect several times. If the mini gets to a point where it says it can't see a host TiVo, power-cycle it (which apparently is the only way to get it to connect to TiVo).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    sender_name likes this.
  7. Jan 8, 2016 #7 of 34
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    The model numbers are 92000 and 93000.

8. Jan 9, 2016 #8 of 34
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not fair -- I'm older than you! :eek:

9. Jan 9, 2016 #9 of 34
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Hard to imagine that is true.

10. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    It's very risky without having the TSN to check on the Tivo site. Some of the Minis are cable company locked. So, you gotta be careful or you'll have a cheap paperweight. :)

11. snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX
    Thanks, everyone!

Seems like I'm either coalescing to a new 93000, or a used one where I can obtain a TSN to check.

Any horror stories on vendors? Has anyone reading purchased a used Mini successfully in this manner?

Sorry for cluttering the forum, just trying to save a few bucks!

12. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    You can keep an eye on woot.com as they've had sales on refurb minis on and off for a little while now for $69.99 each. I have one that's been working fine for a few weeks now.

13. dslunceford

dslunceford Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    I have a new in box/unopened 92000 that has lifetime...haven't gotten around to putting up on eBay yet (I've had it for over a year now, and haven't used). PM if you'd like to make an offer.

14. snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX
    Don't hold it for me, Steve. I ordered a 93000 new and will try it out on a second TV. If I decide to stay in the TiVo multiverse, I will need more mini's.

I'll contact you then. If it hasn't sold by then, we can talk.

Thanks for the offer!

Cheers!

Gayle

15. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    This is not correct information. Ebay has a "buyer protection plan" which would cover the entire cost if the item is "not as listed". You can get a full refund under such circumstances either directly from Ebay or PayPal. This has been the practice and policy for several years now.

16. dslunceford

dslunceford Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    No worries. Got me to remember I had it and pulled it out to post up on eBay today.... :)

17. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Dude, are you kidding with this? You'd rather have the hassle of this kinda crap? I guess maybe some people do. Not me though.

And it's absolutely the best way to go about it. Always ask for the TSN on these and plug it in on the Tivo website. If you get burned on it by eBay/Seller then it's your own fault because you should have checked it prior to purchase.

18. spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Im with this guy...dealing with Paypal and Ebay on this is a nightmare...they are nothing like Amazon

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I assume you all have actually had experience with eBay's "Buyer Protection Plan", right? I've always been curious as to how it actually works. Could you give specific details to support your positive or negative opinions?

20. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I have had experience with the "buyer protection plan" on 3 or 4 occasions out of hundreds of Ebay purchases. It works fine but sometimes can take a couple of weeks to get your money back. Sometimes it is very quick if the seller is cooperative. In my opinion, it is generally no more of a issue than most product returns on average.
    The point is that there was, in fact, "incorrect and misleading" information posted by someone who was ignorant of the facts and directly stated you would be "stuck with a doorstop" or an otherwise useless item and more importantly a total loss of money.
    I simply provided the correct information and now the ignorant get upset and try to change the argument and without acknowledging that they were mistaken want to say that the process is "too difficult" to get their money back and do so with absolutely no experience what-so-ever.
    I did not correct anyone to insult them or demean them in any way. We all make mistakes and it might sting a bit when we are confronted with them, but the cleaver swallow the sting and learn from their mistakes.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016