Ringer - 9/13/11 - Pilot

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by caslu, Sep 13, 2011.

1. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Okay, sampling my first new show of the fall season and wow... what a stinker!

Bad acting, cliched and predictable plotting, horrible special effects (the scene on the boat was unbelievably bad), the list goes on... had to cancel the SP half way through.

Definitely not a good choice for SMG's return to television.

2. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    My gf mentioned it, I tuned in after the first commercial. The writing/pacing felt kind of 'off', but I didn't know if that was because of what I'd missed...? Anyway, I abandoned it before it was finished; not really my cup of tea anyway, it would have needed to really wow me to hold my interest.

3. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I wish this show was on either Wednesday or Thursday, those days are looking pretty crowded on my DVR schedule for fall season. I don't see this show getting much better. No season pass set.

4. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    I turned it off half way through. I thought the two twins having a conversion was like a bad sketch comedy with one person doing two parts at the same time. I thought it was neat seeing the Museum of Natural History. Because I was vacationing in New York this summer and that was one of places we went to.

5. dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    I thought it was ok, I will give it another episode or two, but I will agree 100% about the boat scene- you have to see it to believe how bad that scene was. How they can watch that final product and let that on the air is beyond me.

6. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    There were definitely some bad scenes (as mentioned the boat scene was horrific). The jumps in timeline were strange in that I don't think they needed them. The daughter needs to disappear now. The premise itself was kind of interesting.

I'll give it an episode or two more just to see if it improves from the pilot.

7. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    The boat scene was horrendous.

Really. Bad.

Overall, lots of cheese all over the place.

I was so looking forward to this show - I hope it gets better...

8. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I'm 18 mins in, saw this thread and thought I'd peek in to see if it got better.

I was so-so on the premise, but thought I'd sample it. It was reassuring that so many other people had issues with the boat scene. Bad CGI water? yick

She's going to spend the series not knowing anyone's name or recognizing anyone?

I was just about to kill it when Tara Summers showed up ( Katie from Boston Legal) She's got a whacked accent here though, I guess that's her version of "American".

9. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    I can't really disagree with any of the opinions expressed so far, but the twist at the end earned this show a couple of more episodes for me.

10. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    *That's* where I knew her from! Thank you, it was driving me crazy!

I will concur about the boat scene. Very poorly-rendered CG/it's-obvious-we're-shooting-this-on-the-backlot

I did enjoy the pilot episode and will keep watching to see where this goes.

11. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I couldn't get through the whole thing. I felt like I was watching a daytime soap opera. What a bummer - I was hoping to like SMG's return to T.V.

I'm assuming (hoping) that the boat scene looked so bad because this pilot episode was filmed on the cheap.

12. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Same here... was the only part of the show I enjoyed.

13. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    I have to agree with most of you. I thought it was pretty weak all around. I like SMG and really wanted to like this show. I might give it one more episode before I decide.

14. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    It was definitely awkward until at least 40 minutes in. About that time it started to work for me.

15. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Not a great pilot...but there have been a ton of weak pilots that turned into great shows (Castle, anyone?). :)

I'll give it a few more episodes to find its footing.

16. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    I'm in this boat. The sister scenes were gag inducing, and the boat scene was just great for unintentional comedy, but I started to buy in towards the end, and the twist at the very end was solid. Question, I zoned out for a little bit, but my wife mentioned that she thought the husband was involved, too, based on a phone call that he had to quickly hang up when the new Shabon walked in. Is that accurate? All I got was that the old Shabon set it up as way to kill herself off, but didn't get any clues as to who else was in on it.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Siobhan. (I suspect that may be one of the biggest challenges this show has... getting people to spell that name right. ;))

(and technically it should be Siobhán, with the accent over the a, but...)

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm going to keep watching only because of SMG.

I didn't particularly like the first episode of Buffy either.

19. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    SMG fan here - somehow managed to avoid any pre-publicity so I had no idea what the premise was and didn't even know she was playing twins.

I don't disagree with any of you but somehow or other I was drawn in. For a pilot it was moving really slow to start but I'll stick with it and in fact last night thought they should have done a 2-hour premiere.

20. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I think this is one I'll let stack up and see what the opinion becomes... if it's good (a la Lost, though that one started out great) I'll start watching. But if it gets cancelled after a few eps or people deem it continually unworthy, I'll just delete them. Gotta love the tivo.