Right Virtural Channel, Wrong Digital Channel

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by A2JetGuy, Oct 26, 2014.

1. A2JetGuy

A2JetGuy Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Right Virtural Channel, Wrong Digital Channel....

Technically TiVo is using the word "Frequency" when more accurately they should be using "Digital Channel".

New Detroit OTA Channel 14.1 (WHNE) is correct in the channel list and in the guide. What is wrong is that that tivo is using the wrong "frequency" for this channel. The correct frequency for channel 14.1 is frequency 20, but tivo is using 14 as evidenced by >TiVo Central >Settings > Channels >Signal Strength-Antenna. This page shows: "Channel 14.1 WHNELD Frequency 14" when it should show: "Channel 14.1 WHNELD Frequency 20". Because of this frequency error, the TiVo is trying to tune in Channel 50.1 WKBDDT, which is already on Frequency 14.

I tried to report this to the "Tech" at tivo, but they have no idea what the difference is between Virtural and Digital channels. He kept telling me that there is no difference and that TiVo doesn't support antennas.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Wow, that incompetence is unacceptable from someone who is a "tech" for TiVo!

I would report the error on the tribune website, which is where TiVo gets its guide data from. I've notice the changes take effect much faster than reporting them to TiVo, both personally and on their website.

3. A2JetGuy

A2JetGuy Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

I submitted an email to zap2it/Tribune via their "Contact us" email. I'll post if I receive a reply.

4. MMG

MMG early adopter

Dec 11, 1999
    Birmingham,...
    I'm in Birmingham Mi and channel 14 and its subchannels are listed twice. As 14-1, 14-2, etc. they're also in there as *SSN, *WHNE, *THE BOB, *DIYA-TV, and *CORNERS. The named channels map to the proper OTA frequencies but the numbered channels don't. There is still no guide data on the named channels.

5. A2JetGuy

A2JetGuy Member

Jan 23, 2013
    That's interesting. Are you receiving any of the WHNE channels in Birmingham?

I have a Roamio, two Premieres and two Series 3 HDs, all with Guides displaying: 14.1 WHNELD, 14.2 WHNELD2, 14.3 WHNELD3, etc. The program information is displayed, however I don't know how accurate it is. Signal Strength is in the 70's and SNR is 30dbz on the Roamio, however, no picture, just a V53 error.

WHNE recently moved from a transmitter in Flint to a transmitter in Detroit, as well as changing their digital channel from UHF 26 to UHF 20. Because of this I suspect the only solution is to wait for the bugs to work themselves out.

What I find interesting is that TiVo refers to UHF 20 as "Frequency 20", when the frequency is actually around 510 MHz. I discussed this with two tivo "techs" today, both of which insisted that Channel Number, Digital UHF Channel and Frequency were all one-in-the-same. The second one suggested that I contact the manufacturer of my antenna. That's when I turned to the Forum.

6. MMG

MMG early adopter

Dec 11, 1999
    Birmingham,...
    I wasn't at first. I had the exact same problem you were until I did a channel re-scan. Then I had 2 sets of channels. The ones you describe with guide data and no picture and the ones I got without guide data and with programming. You just need to do a channel re-scan. Hopefully the guide data will show up soon for this second set of channels. Also, I read the channel is transmitting from WMYD (channel 20's) tower in Oak Park.

7. cthomp

cthomp Member

Dec 24, 2001
    MI
    Digital is fixed, but Retro Tv is on 14-2 not 14-1, 14-3 and 14-5.

8. cthomp

cthomp Member

Dec 24, 2001
    MI
    The listings are now correct.

9. MMG

MMG early adopter

Dec 11, 1999
    Birmingham,...
    Good! I reported it 3 times via the web link and finally did it via chat last Tuesday...