Rhapsody's a Bandwidth hog

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A-1, Oct 28, 2007.

1. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago

Advertisements

Did the free trial and have enjoyed the music, one major problem though.

After Exiting Rhapsody the connection is not broken and contentiously pulls from the Rhapsody server at 204.176.49.116:7288 eating up a lot of bandwidth and when i say a lot I mean a lot I have a 20mbps down 2.5mbps up pipe and it sent it to a crawl . It acts as if it's just downloading the never ending file. Had to reboot the router to get it to stop. I know for sure it was the Tivo as it is on a static IP and all the logs point to it. Once the router was rebooted all was normal.

So, something to watch for. You will notice the NIC light on the back of the Tivo going berserker along with traffic lights on your modem and router.

This would be a Rhapsody service killer for me. Unless this issue is resolve I will not use it. I don't want to have to reboot my router every time I listen to music so I can get my bandwidth back to full strength so I can play xbox or surf without being lagged out by Rhapsody.

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Read your post and tried it on my end.

Doesn't seem to happen to me.

I have a linkys RVS4000 Router, TWC with 20mbps down, 1mbs up. My TiVo's are all Static, hooked to a gigabit switch that in turn is hooked to my router. My SONOS (Another Rhapsody enabled internet device) is hooked up to the same switch as the TiVo's & is also set static. I do have QOS enabled on my Router as well as IPS. My Switch is a MANAGED Gigabit switch from CISCO.

I have had a Rhapsody account now for 2 years.

I use it with my SONOS, as well as on my my computers. Doesn't happen with the SONOS or with my computers either.

I don't think the problem is with Rhapsody though. I think part of the problem might be in the switch/router not correctly handling packet filtering. The problem could have also been in the TiVo and in that when you "disconnected" from Rhapsody it failed to disconnect.

How many times have you tried it? It might have also just been a one off thing too.

TGC

3. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    it does not happen on every connect to Rhapsody via the tivo, but it has happened more than once.

One way to get it to happen is to search for a song play the song so that only that one song is in your queue, then just let the song finish and wait a little while for the Rhapsody software to exit on its own.

could be a failure in the disconnect. when it does happen and i try to reconnect to Rhapsody it gives me a connection error, then i try again and it connects. (will right down the error code next time) but after the reconnect the disconnect does not stop the traffic to 204.176.49.116:7288 only a router reboot will stop it.

I have 3 routers

1. dlink
    2. linksys
    3. netgear

just to test if it was a router issue i hooked up the linksys and the problem occurred on the 4th connect and exit from Rhapsody. I have not tried the netgear router yet but because it occurred on the linksys i have little doubt it wont on the netgear.

4. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    I may have experienced the same thing yesterday with my Tivo DT on my ASUS WL-500g Premium running OpenWrt White Russian - With X-Wrt Extensions 0.9. - I had the PC locked out of the system, it was definitely related to the Tivo and it was active for hours - rebooting the router fixed it. I originally thought the Tivo was just upgrading and I had to go, when I came home several hours later it was the same way with Tivo, router and cable modem very active. The last thing I was doing with the Tivo was using Rhapsody.

5. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago

Advertisements

I have confirmed that this occurs on all my routers and although it does not occur every time i connect and disconnect from Rhapsody it is does occur more frequently when i connect to Rhapsody play one song and then let it auto exit Rhapsody.

6. jwehman

jwehman Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Superior, CO
    You might try PM'ing sstatman, who works at Rhapsody (RealNetworks) and monitors the TiVo Coffee house forum regarding the Rhapsody / TiVo experience.

7. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks, I sent him a link to this thread.

8. sstatman

sstatman New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    It is unlikely that this is the Rhapsody service; it's a web service that is purely RMI. This has to be a client software issue, either in relation to the HME servers, in relation to the Tivo service, and or in relation to the Rhapsody service.

So we'll need to engage someone from Tivo. I'll get the engines started ...

9. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Oh Now I understand better. YES, it does the SAME for me when I do just as you say. I am thinking it is a BUG in the Rhapsody software on the TIVO.

Because I use Rhapsody on the computer. All I use the Rhapsody on my TiVo is just to play the playlists that I have allready created.

Im not for sure what the resolution is. I have called & informed TiVo of this though.

TGC

10. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks! Yeah I really like Rhapsody and would like to utilize the service via my Tivo S3 but until this issue is resolved consider me a customer on hold.

@TGC
    were you able to look at your router logs or active connection when you got the bug to confirm the IP address i listed. I'm curious if your Tivo is stuck on the same IP

11. sstatman

sstatman New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    When the track is done playing, but before you automatically exit Rhapsody, do you still see the high traffic levels? Or do they only start once you actually exit Rhapsody?

12. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    The activity indicators (NIC light, Router & modem lights) continuously show activity as if the.. i guess the song is still playing.

13. jwehman

jwehman Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Superior, CO
  14. sstatman

sstatman New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Can someone confirm for me the specific sequence of events? Is it :

1. Track stops playing
    2. Traffic continues
    3. Rhapsody shuts down
    4. Traffic continues

or

1. Track stops playing
    2. Rhapsody shuts down
    3. Traffic spikes

15. jwehman

jwehman Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Superior, CO
    This one (at least for me)

16. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    For me I'd say the first set is true, however, after the rhapsody shuts down and the traffic continues my other devices are completely lagged. While Rhapsody is active and playing the music my other devices (pc's, Mac, Xbox 360) are not lagged and have no problems sending and receiving packets. After the Rhapsody shuts down and the traffic continues to the aforementioned IP and the other devices are lagged.

17. cmc850

cmc850 New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    I've had similar problems - but worse, as after the Rhapsody app times out, my Tivo is no longer on my network! It's a dual tuner S2 using wired ethernet.

To top that off, when this occurs, I need to reboot the Tivo, for if I don't, my VOIP adapter is also unable to establish a connection - it gets booted off the network.

Ugly. I've confirmed this behavior three separate times.

18. sstatman

sstatman New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I have some good news. A fix for the bandwidth hogging issue is going into test soon, and (assuming no new problems are created) it should be generally released in a few days.

19. Yarrokon

Yarrokon New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Surprise, AZ
    Was this update pushed? I ask because though I have not seen the network issues with the service I setup this afternoon, it did kill the network connection to my tivo trying to play a song. All controls were locked, and had to use the main tivo button to get back to settings and review network. My Tivo could not find any network connections, after restarting tivo, I was able to get TV and Music again.

20. sstatman

sstatman New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    The bandwidth hogging fix should have been released by now, though I'm not absolutely certain of it. Is anyone else still experiencing the networking issue?

The first step is to see if the initial problem was resolved, and if anyone else is experiencing it. That'll tell us if it's something new or particular to your setup.