Rhapsody on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Solver, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1 of 119
    Solver

Solver New Member

Feb 17, 2005
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

Thought I'd start this thread too:

Good News to Rhapsody and TiVo users.

"8:32AM TiVo teams up with RealNetworks to bring Rhapsody to the living room (TIVO) 5.45 : RealNetworks (RNWK) and TiVo (TIVO) announce integration of the Rhapsody digital music service with the TiVo service giving TiVo subscribers access to over 3 mln songs on demand right from the TiVo remote. The co also announced it and Comcast (CMCSA) are demonstrating a new TiVo service for Comcast DVRs at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show."

2. Jan 8, 2007 #2 of 119
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hmmm... Doesn't Rhapsody use the "Plays For Sure" encryption scheme? Which in turn uses the WMA format? Does that mean TiVo will be supporting WMA files natively in a future software release? Or do they plan to transcode everything to MP3 on the fly?

Dan

3. Jan 8, 2007 #3 of 119
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I would assume this is a HME type app that let's you stream music if you are a subscriber. In this case, I would guess they are transcoding on the fly to MP3 or have already encoded these files in MP3 and its just straight streaming with some type of authentication.

4. Jan 8, 2007 #4 of 119
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Ahh.. I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed this was some sort of integration with the desktop software.

Dan

5. Jan 8, 2007 #5 of 119
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004

Advertisements

It may be Tivo Desktop integration, but since Rhapsody is an unlimited service, it would seem to make a lot of sense to just be a streaming service from Real.

6. Jan 8, 2007 #6 of 119
    colforbin13

colforbin13 New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Chicagoland
    It's too bad I subscribe to the Yahoo! Music Unlimited service and not Rhapsody anymore.

If it is just an add-on for the Tivo Desktop software, I wonder if there will be some sort of hack to get it to work for the rest of the WMA sunscription services (Yahoo, Napster, etc.). If it's HME, I'm sure it will be locked down pretty good.

7. Jan 8, 2007 #7 of 119
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The Rhapsody site seems to not be working correctly.

anyone know what MP3 players work with it? Any user opinions on the service?

8. Jan 8, 2007 #8 of 119
    Cormode

Cormode New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Anyone know when we can expect to see this actually working?

9. Feb 27, 2007 #9 of 119
    Karnwine

Karnwine Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Colleyville, TX
    Hi all,
    Cherry post but a longtime lurker.
    Is there any news on what is happening with this Rhapsody project??
    Is this still going to happen or did something go wrong and noone is talking about it?

10. Feb 27, 2007 #10 of 119
    Joey Bagadonuts

Joey Bagadonuts New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Well, according to a forum moderator here , yes the Rhapsody deal fell through (see post #26). This of course means that the last two supposed deals TiVo had with other companies (Netflix and now Rhapsody) have fallen through so I'm curious to see if the Amazon agreement will suffer the same fate.

11. Feb 27, 2007 #11 of 119
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Do you really think they would announce they were testing it and Amazon would have details on their website about it if it wasn't happening? Please.

Those other "deals" were just agreements to try to work together. Companies do agreements like these all the time that never come to fruition.

12. Feb 27, 2007 #12 of 119
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you are going to look kinda silly when the Amazon downloads goes live. As for Rhapsody - all we know is that Dan believes that deal fell through and both companies have not said anything else since CES I am aware of.

Maybe Dan can give us some detail of how he knows Rhapsody partnership fell through?

13. Feb 27, 2007 #13 of 119
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually I was just confused! I was referring to the original RealNetworks deal TiVo announced way back when the S2 was first released. I had completely forgot that they announced this thing.

So in that post I was referring to the deal from way back in 2002. I have absolutely no knowledge about this particular deal.

Dan

14. Feb 27, 2007 #14 of 119
    Joey Bagadonuts

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Zeo and Rainwater, just to clarify my stance on the Amazon deal (or any future deals for that matter), I do not want it/them to fail. Never have I stated any such thing nor have I intimated any such feelings. I don't plan on using the Amazon Unbox program but I know other TiVo subscribers will and for that reason, I truly hope it sees fruition. Further, I've been a TiVo subscriber for roughly 4 years (I have 3 boxes now) and I've encouraged a few friends to subscribe as well. I am all for anything TiVo can do to advance and strengthen it's position in the DVR market. I do not want to see TiVo disappear. All I am saying is, given TiVo's past track record of deals, whether they were mere conjecture or not, I will believe the Amazon deal when I see it fully operational on my TiVo boxes. Until then, I will view it as another agreement with another company to "try and work together".

15. Feb 27, 2007 #15 of 119
    d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    TiVoPony or TiVoOpsMgr,

Could you shed a little light on the timing of release, etc?

I'm a full $15 a month Rhapsody subscriber who is considering dropping, but if this came on soon, I would renew as I play music all the time (dinner, dinner parties, etc.) through my main enterainment center (where I usually have the TV off when I'm playing music, but would leave it on if this was provided).

Any beta testing possiblilities?

Please advise.

Thanks!

16. Feb 27, 2007 #16 of 119
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    except that you just keep choosing to ignore all the obvious signs that the Amazon deal is far beyond "try and work together" . If Netflix had obtained the download license for its content then we would already be using a Netflix/TiVo downlaod service. TiVo obviously has the setup done to download content - it just needs the content. Have you noticed that UNBOX has the license to download content and the infrastructure to select what content you want and bill for it. You have just picked the wrong pony to bet against on this one, is all. ;)

17. Feb 27, 2007 #17 of 119
    Joey Bagadonuts

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Geez, you're really bustin' my chops there Zeo. :eek: Seriously, I'm not betting against anything. Never said that. To the contrary, actually. What I have said is I truly hope the Amazon deal doesn't fall through like others in the past have and becomes a reality.

Yes, I've not only noticed that Unbox has the license to download content, I've actually used their service to download some Hillstreet Blues episodes to my laptop. It's a great service. I also subscribe to Netflix and that, too is a great service. I've looked into Rhapsody and that looks like a great service, too. The only thing currently missing in these great services is the ability to use them with TiVo.

18. Feb 27, 2007 #18 of 119
    TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    We're hard at work on both the Rhapsody and Amazon deals. We have not announced release dates. Neither have fallen through. Amazon will happen before Rhapsody.

Pony's given some hints already, so I won't add anything more. :)

19. Mar 1, 2007 #19 of 119
    Joey Bagadonuts

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Well, that's good news. :up:

20. Mar 1, 2007 #20 of 119
    jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    too bad the netflix deal fell through.