RG6 Crimping help needed!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stoystown, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Stoystown

Stoystown New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    I am cutting some RG6 coax cable, and it seems no matter what I do, the crimped ends of the cables do not stay put.

Please let me know if you have done this, and if so, what is the best way to put a connector on a coax line. I have a crimping tool from Radio Shack.

Thanks!

2. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    You need to buy the screw on type of connectors, instructions come with the connectors. They work out really well. You won't have any trouble using them. Return the crimping tool to RadioScrap an get your money back.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I don't recommend the screw-on connectors, though some do have success with them.

Best result is from using a hex crimping tool with compound leverage. You also want to crimp twice. Some cheaper connectors are a bit smooth and will fall off anyway, but most of my crimps stay put.

I now have Snap-N-Seal connectors and the proper install tool - this is what the pros use.

4. cbordman

cbordman PP-ASEL

May 14, 2001
    Holly...
    screw-on works much better for me.

5. RaleighDavid

RaleighDavid Call me David...

Oct 1, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Steve - where do you buy your connectors and tools???

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
  7. RaleighDavid

RaleighDavid Call me David...

Oct 1, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks!

8. Stanley Rohner

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Screw on type connectors have worked very well for me. They are very tight(don't fall off) and have remained tight & reliable for years now.

You can go out and buy an expensive tool if you really want to I guess.
    :rolleyes:

9. TivoGeezer

TivoGeezer Snow-ina-ear

Dec 3, 2003
    Danbury, CT
    I have had no trouble just grabbing them with standard pliers, right in the red circle area in the picture below, and giving them a good squeeze.

[​IMG]

10. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    NoVa
    The key to proper crimping is having the proper tooks. If you are buying at RadioShack you want the 278-238 hex crimping tool and the 278-248 Deluxe Coax Cable stripper. With these two devices and good quality wire you can get a good crimp every time. Also, don't buy the cheapy cheap Rg6 that radio shack sells in precut lengths (not sure if they still sell it.) the outer conducter is some sort of foil that seems imposible to seperate and get the connect or the end of the wire properly. At least go for the stuffed marked for sat.

Also, last time I was their Lowes sells the Snap-N-Seal stuff that Steve mentioned.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I definitely don't recommend the standard pliers crimp as suggested above. If you crimp too hard you can damage the inner part of the connector and possibly cause a short. I have never had a problem with a regular type crimping tool, not the ratcheting type hex, except when using the gold plated looking connectors that split.

12. olenwatson

olenwatson YouStupidJesusFreak!

Mar 10, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Some of you probably use hammers to finish off a screw. Completely unprofessional and gerry rigged!

Do you know that the dialectric (the foammy stuff) it important to the transmission of the higher frequencies of satellite? DO NOT use pliers! It will single handedly reduce your signal strength. The ideal crimp uses a uniform compression on the insulators. Thus, even the hex crimps are not the best. If you use screw ons at all DO NOT use them outside. Outside you should have something water resistent. Some connectors have rubber gaskets in the connecting end. Some have gel in the crimping end.

The reason screw on connectors suck(except anecdotally) is that the shielding wires have a tendency to clump one side or the other and the grounding portion often never touches the shielding at all. That is a bad thing. Yes, screw on is cheap but don't ever blame sat technology if you do use them.

Make sure that you get at least 2.2 GigHz RG-6 coax. The best way to ensure smooth insert of wire into connector is to pull the shielding wires firmly and uniformly perpendicular to the wire. This can creates a slight gap between the center foil and the shield wires. That gap will make it easier to put on the connector and prevent bunching or uneven compression. This is the best way to reduce dB loss in a connection.

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    My crimper is identical to the RS 278-242. I use the dollar store crimp connectors , they are plated and ribbed and have rubber O rings in them, 4/$1.00 . Never had bad luck with them.

EDIT: Oh, and I strip using a plain utility knifte, works fine.

14. Stanley Rohner

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Screw on connectors don't suck!!

I've used screw on connectors inside and outside for years now. No problems. olenwatson is full of hot air as far as screw on connectors are concerned. :)

15. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I second the snap-n-seal!

16. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Screw on connectors suck.

Of all possible connectors, these are the worst.

They might work; but they're the least reliable of the bunch. They're designed for consumers who don't want to spend the money for a tool to install connectors with. It's a creative way to provide the ability to install a connector, but it's not a connector you'll ever see anyone professionally installing cable use. Ever. Because they suck.

17. Mike1138

Mike1138 New Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Colorado
    Steve

What crimper did you buy? The one that is $54.80 (part #092-475) or the $29.95 (part #360-044)?

Also, does anyone recommend a rotary cable stripper?

18. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
  19. Dennis Wilkinson

Dennis Wilkinson Active Member

Sep 24, 2001
    East...
    When I did my house a few years back, I did everything with crimp-on connectors. Tools help -- a rotary stripper for the insulation and dielectric, a T-handled tool to help get the leverage to seat the connector properly, and a good hex crimper with compund leverage and the right size for the wire you're using and I haven't had any issues at all with those connectors. All of those tools can be found at Radio Shack or any of the other places mentioned (like Steve, I've ordered from Parts Express. Worthington Distribution also carries some of these supplies.)

Since then, though, I've switched over to the Snap N' Seal stuff for newer cables. Just a much better design, and most look like they're less likely to damage the outside insulator if the wire gets pulled the wrong way inadvertantly.

I avoid screw-on type connectors entirely.

20. Stanley Rohner

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Screw on connectors DO WORK, not MIGHT WORK. They MIGHT work if you DON'T strip the cable properly.

Screw on connectors don't suck!

SHEEESH!!! That swallow guy sure was worked up about it.
    Calm down dude!, relax! Take some deep breaths. It's just a cable connector. Get over it.