rf2Link

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by clivegriffiths, Oct 25, 2007.

1. clivegriffiths

clivegriffiths New Member

Feb 24, 2002

Advertisements

I stumble upon a gadget called a rf2Link that connects the TiVo directly to the sky box for changing channels. I see they can be bought on the pace link website, but with VAT and delivery they are quite pricey at £22.90.

Does anyone know where to get something similar cheaper. I've looked on eBay but can't find any.

BTW, I guess I should also ask whether they are any good/reliable? I haven't had many issues with channel changes over the years, but there has been the odd ocassion and from a visual viewpoint, it be good to get ring of the standard IR cables that come with TiVo.

2. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I use one (I think Pacelink make (made) them so unlikely to get it new and cheaper).

I have blocked the remote sensor on the from on the Sky box so it can not see any remote commands.

If you do not block the remote sensor then it isn't really worth using the RFLink as it is rouge IR commands that tend to cause channel changing issues.

3. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
  4. steford

steford New Member

Oct 9, 2002
    I never used the IR cables - just let the commands bounce round the room and all was generally fine with a few misses here and there. I now have Sky and the rf2link - excellent bit of kit and worth every penny - never a missed change.

5. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Nov 1, 2002

Advertisements

We've been using an rf2link with pass through power for a while with a tvlink pushed in the back of it: simply because it is difficult to get the Sky box in a position where it can see the infra-red directly for those rare occasions when we use the Sky remote.
    Now we've upgraded to Sky+, so might want to use the Sky remote more often, but our setup has stopped working. The tvlink still works if I plug it directly into the back of the Sky+ box, but not when I chain it through the rf2link. The power light still comes on so it is getting the DC, but it seems that the rf2link isn't letting the signal back through. The Tivo is still able to control the Sky+ box quite happily through the rf2link, so if it is the problem it hasn't died completely.
    Any suggestions? Is replacing the rf2link my only option?

6. rickynumber18

rickynumber18 Leaving the building

Feb 28, 2007
    I'd love to use my RF2Link but I have my TiVo controlling my Sky box and a Freeview receiver so I have to use the IR cable that came with my TiVo.

Does anyone know if there's an RF2Link kinda gizmo for controlling two boxes? Thanx.

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    You can buy a mono headphone splitter from Maplins to allow you to continue to use the RF2Link to control your Sky box while using the IR wands to control your Freeview box.

See www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1169&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=headphone splitter mono&doy=23m12

Unfortunately there is no way to control the Freeview box except with the IR wands but as you won't be recording very much from that it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

8. rickynumber18

rickynumber18 Leaving the building

Feb 28, 2007
    Very clever. I'd have never thought of that. In fact I have a Tandy mono splitter around the house, although an "all in one unit" as opposed to the cabled Maplin kind.

I do record allot from Freeview (E4, More4 etc) as I only have FreeSat and not a Sky subscription. I guess I can buy a single IR cable from eBay instead of the mile-o-cable dual one I have now. Cheers.

9. johnnye

johnnye New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    There's no need to replace the dual one - just stick a bit of tape over one of the wands if you're worried about stray IR mucking things up. I've got the same set up, with an rf2link to the freesat sky box and one of the wands to the freeview box and it has never gone wrong on the sky, and only very occasionally got it wrong on the freeview stb, and I didn't bother doing anything with the other wand, although it is somewhere round the back buried in an inch of dust so that may stop the signal ;-)

10. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Why not use both the Tivo wands to control the Freeview box. More IR signals only seem to usually increase the reliability of the Freeview channel changing.

11. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Make sure its a mono one though as allegedly the stereo mink headphone jack spiltters don't manage to properly split the Tivo IR signal output.