RF remote frequency and interference with other devices.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by morac, Jan 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the frequency used by the TiVo Roamio and Slide Pro RF remotes is?

I had a problem where Bluetooth kept dying on my old iPhone 6s Plus 3 months ago. Long story short, I had the phone swapped and the problem went away. That is until this past weekend. The only thing unusual I did this weekend was replace the batteries in my Slide Pro. Since then Bluetooth and 2.4 Ghz Wifi have started failing on my iPhone again, until I toggle Bluetooth off and on.

Since last time to fix this I swapped my iPhone and the problem went away, I'm wondering if it's possible that the Slide Remote somehow damaged or overloaded the Bluetooth chip on the phone. Is that even possible?

2. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    If I carry the tivo slide remote in my pocket, I can't unlock or start my Prius.

Not likely relevant to your query, but I like the story. :)

3. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I thought it used Bluetooth as well?

4. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    It's most likely in the 2.4 GHz band. Most things use frequencies in the 2.4 GHz range: WiFi, Bluetooth, cordless phones… and even most consumer-grade microwave ovens. Why? Because it's one of the few blocks of spectrum that the FCC allows for unlicensed use. The other two commonly used bands are the 900 MHz band (mostly used by old cordless phones and restaurant microwave ovens) and the 5 GHz band (newer WiFi variants and newer cordless phones).

5. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...

Advertisements

If my mobile phone and keys are in the same pocket I can't unlock and open my car door or start the engine. The second I remove one or the other all is fine.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

6. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Well the Bluetooth on my phone died again overnight and the phone wasn't anywhere near the remote. Also when the problem happens it stays broken even if I leave my house.

Is it possible the remote's RF energy could have permanently damaged the Bluetooth chip on my phone?