RF Remote Battery Level: Unknown on Roamio/Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sfhub, Oct 18, 2017.

1. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

Has it always been this way?

I could have sworn it used to have the battery level, but when I looked today, Roamio OTA, Roamio Pro, and Mini V2 all had Unknown as the battery level.

Bolt still has the battery level listed as a percentage.

It could have been I had seen the Bolt battery level and just assumed the Roamio's had it too, but I could have sworn they had it also.

On the Mini's they've only ever had 1 remote paired with them.

The Roamio Pro has multiple remotes paired, but only one has batteries currently in it.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There's a bug. Whenever a Roamio does a restart the System Info page battery stops showing the status. Just use the TiVo button and the "D" button and then you'll find the battery status works.

If a Mini has this problem, then it's a new bug. I'll test it.

Mini losing it is a new bug. Same fix: TiVo and "D".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    ClearToLand and sfhub like this.
  3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Yup, that brought it back.

4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    On the Mini, I observed more closely.

When you first boot up (that's when I checked earlier) it does say unknown. However within a minute, it starts to display the battery level without needing to Press "D".

On the Roamio, I have to actually Press "D" or it'll stay unknown for a while.

JoeKustra and Mikeguy like this.
  5. sdmf74

sdmf74 New Member

Sep 30, 2018

Advertisements

I have a Tivo MG2 (DCX900) that shows remote battery level 0%. The above fix does nothing. Any suggestions?
    Tried updating firmware already

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Do you use more than one remote? I use both the TiVo RF remote and a universal IR remote with my Bolt, and if I have been using the IR remote, the system information does not show any battery level until I have been using the RF remote again for a while.

7. Jun 4, 2019 #7 of 13
    sdmf74

sdmf74 New Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Nope. Never used any other remote with my tivo

8. Jun 4, 2019 #8 of 13
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Have you actually verified that your remote is paired and operating in RF mode with that box? When you hit a button, does the light on the remote show as yellow or red? Of course you can always just cup your hand over the end of the remote so it has no line-of-sight to the TiVo, then hit pause - if it pauses, then you know that it had to be an RF signal!

If you "occasionally" see red, that is normal, but if it is too often, maybe it is causing the box to drop the RF stats, just like using an IR remote does.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  9. Jun 4, 2019 #9 of 13
    sdmf74

sdmf74 New Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Yep remote is paired and working in RF mode. Amber light when pushing a button on remote

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    To cause the remote battery level to display in System Information after a restart on my Roamio I hit the TiVo button and "D" button at the same time quickly. Been like that for years. With TE4 the RF remote usually gets "found" faster, especially on a Mini.

11. sdmf74

sdmf74 New Member

Sep 30, 2018
    As I said above pressing the tivo button + D button does absolutely nothing. I've never seen a battery % shown in system information

12. rcoates777

rcoates777 Member

Jun 28, 2005
    JoeK to the rescue again !

My Bolt's remote was not showing battery level. It had ended up in IR mode and this procedure got me back into RF mode. Even better is that now I don't have to be careful with aiming the remote.

I think I got into IR mode while trying to xfer shows between 2 Bolts and using an old remote to operate one of them.

I re-paired the Bolt & remote (by pressing TiVo button and Back button together until solid red light on remote) and now I'm back in business!

Thanks!

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You're welcome, but quickly entering TiVo + "D" does not change modes. If you hold down the TiVo button then hold down the "D" until the LED blinks 3x, that puts it into RF mode. If the LED blink three times when hitting any key, the remote is in RF mode but not paired (at least to the closest TiVo). The best source for these procedures: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Remotes-RF-Pairing-Instructions Note that these methods work with TE3 and should work with TE4. TE4 has a bunch of diagnostic options that I don't trust.

BTW, if a paired RF remote can't find its partner it will drop back to IR mode until it does find it. I have a severe noise environment, so my RF remote drops to IR mode frequently. I can get it back to RF mode by pointing it at the Roamio and it will stick after the second keypress.

rcoates777 likes this.