1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF Dongle, Premiere, Roamio/Mini Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by duncan7, Jan 31, 2018.

1. duncan7

duncan7 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I had my premiere working with the RF remote dongle and the RF remote from a mini. Then I sent my premiere for a HD swap and used the mini in its place for a week. Pairing that remote back to the mini was straightforward, but now that the Premiere's back in service I can't get that remote to associate back with to the dongle. It works in IR mode and I can TiVo-D to put it in RF mode (LED color changes, at least) but the Premiere stops responding. Tried the factory reset on the remote, but I feel like the issue must be on the other end. I can't find any docs for the dongle and everything that comes up as far as putting the TiVo in pairing mode refers to the Bolt/Roamio. Does simply plugging in the USB receiver put it in pairing mode or is there something else required? Is there any status readout in the TiVo screens that indicates the presence or state of the RF adapter on a Premiere?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  3. duncan7

duncan7 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Welp, that got it paired to the Roamio in the same rack and orphaned the remote that had been paired with the Roamio. Whoops, forgot it might be "listening." I grabbed the other remote, reset it (using the next paragraph of instructions from that link), covered the IR window on the Roamio, and tried again, but it didn't work. These devices are in a rack in some conditioned storage on the second floor of my house, and the TVs are almost directly below them on the first floor, so rather than run up and down the stairs to see what's going on the screen (or using the app to at least see when the channel changes using the info tab), I'm going to unhook the premiere again and try to get things working while directly connected to a third TV, out of RF and IR "earshot" of the first two.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Usually there is a pairing button on the USB dongle which you press to pair. There would be a blinking light on the dongle to show its in pairing mode.

5. duncan7

duncan7 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    There's only one button, which works to find the remote. Or so I thought. I'd pulled my Premiere out of my rack and moved it to a TV where an unpaired remote wouldn't interfere with my Roamio. Then I went to call Support and was reminded, for the umpteenth time, that they're on Pacific time. So, since I had it set up, I cleared the remote, put it in pairing mode, and held down the button on the dongle, which seemed to do the trick, as the blink rate changed after a few seconds. Then I put the remote in RF mode and all is good. Thanks for the help!