Revenge S01E05 "GUILT" (10/19/2011)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jeepair, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm still thoroughly enjoying this show.

I do wish Emily would find a better place for her Dad's box of papers. Seems if anyone is interested in snooping around her house, the box would be easy to find.

She should digitize all of the papers and place the hard copys in a vault offsite. Then if she wants to re-read something, she could access the digital images from an encrypted laptop.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I was surprised at how well they handled the "who killed Lydia?" aspect.
    I'm usually not fond of the flashback cold open, but they're making it work.

I was also emotionally invested as we knew Nolan was heading to her apartment while Frank was there, sure it's incredibly cliched, but I'm enjoying it especially as he hears the sirens after he gets there.

3. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I really enjoyed this episode.

But how the heck did Nolan get out of there without being seen by anyone? He arrived in a helicopter!

4. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    I think the helicoper was from the beach area (long Island) to Manhatten heli-port. He then probably took a cab or a car he has there.

Not sure how he escaped the police but I guess there was still time. He did a good job of cleaning up the evidence.

5. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I think Lydia was in a penthouse apartment. It looked like it. I guess Nolan could take the back stairs out, or just blend in with the other apartment residents. I doubt the police would immediately blockade the apartment building, since it looked like a suicide. As usual for a TV building leaper, Lydia's aim was impeccable -- she landed dead center on the only vehicle in the area...

6. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I was bugged by the whole landing on the taxi thing. :) The sidewalk looked pretty wide, and when she fell she didn't even jump outward, she just fell over the railing head first. For starters I don't know if she would really land on her back in that scenario, nor if she would travel so far outwards from the building.

Time to get the CSI's on it!

7. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    If you gotta have someone jump then you gotta have them land on a car. It's just much more interesting than having them go splat on the sidewalk!

The best scene like that ever was in The Untouchables where Elliot Ness pushes Frank Nitti off the building and he lands on a car. ("Did he sound anything like that?" :) *). Especially the way he was "swimming" all the way down.

(* And the best quote after that: Stone: Where's Nitti? Elliot: He's in the car.)

8. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Maybe that was true 20 years ago. But I've seen the car so many times now that I'd rather see the pavement.

9. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Have you ever seen the results of a melon landing on concrete after a long fall? There would be nothing left of the head but mush. They have them land on cars, which have suspension and crushable roofs so there is a recognizable body left. This is TV though, so they can do anything, but I suspect that's their reason for using a car as the "taget".

10. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer Member

Jan 5, 2007
    I want to see the mush! It’s much more exciting.:up:
    They can use other methods to have the body (what’s left) be recognized. :)

I wonder if Emily will soon get caught. Everyone now thinks Lydia caused the first few catastrophes, but after the next few "incidents" they will clearly know it's not her since she is now dead. Emily will have to come under suspicion .

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The security guy needs some martial arts training I guess. He didn't seem to be physically dominating the wafer-thin saggy-eyed housewife as you might expect from a "security guy"

I like that this episode has set up some serious guilt and tension between the co-conspirators now.

12. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    But don't those kind of highfalutin buildings in NYC have all kinds of security -- guards and doorman and security CAMERAS everywhere?

Are we just to assume that Nolan somehow disabled all the security cameras or otherwise escaped detection? Watching Law & Order teaches me that the police tend to ask for the surveillance video from the building after someone dies like that. :p

13. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Could be. I doubt he disabled them. But it would be consistent with the past episodes if Nolan would later hack into the system and change or erase any incriminating videos or other evidence. Convenient TV trope, that.

14. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    We are seriously enjoying this show!

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Watching Law & Order also teaches us that the video footage is only available and/or useful if it wouldn't speed up the plot too much. Another convenient TV trope. :D

16. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    This show is such a guilty pleasure. :)

17. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I admit, I really enjoy this show too. It's a must watch same day show for me.