Revenge - 2/9/2012 - Perception

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Sadara, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1 of 20
    Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Wow, I can only say wow. At least now we finally get to see where the story line is going to connect with the pilot. At least I saw what was leading up to it. I won't even talk about the preview.

Who do you think took the box out of Emily's house? I have my guess and I think that someone is getting their own revenge.

2. Feb 9, 2012 #2 of 20
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, the obvious answer is (the real) Emily, who signed the note...

3. Feb 9, 2012 #3 of 20
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    The San Antonio DirecTV ABC HD feed was not working all through prime time last night, so my DVR didn't get Revenge and Modern Family. I guess I'll have to pick them up on the iPad app and suffer through the ads.

4. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I couldn't tell the first time through if that was stationary with fake Emily's name, but rewatched it again after your comment and it is definitely a response card to the party left by real Emily/fake Amanda/psycho. I'm not sure why RE/FA turned on fake Emily so much. RE/FA wanted to stop hurting Jack and was going to go after him, but she didn't seem like she wanted to take her anger out on fake Emily.

I am surprised the Fire and Ice party is coming up so soon, but at least we'll know what happens and who got shot! Though I wouldn't put it past them to leave us hanging an extra week on that.

This series really feels like it should be one and done. Wrap it up this season. I don't see how they keep Emily's con going, how Emily continues to find ways to exact revenge without losing her humanity completely, and how to draw out the cover-up of her father's death without it just getting tedious.

On the other hand, I really have to stop focusing on this so much. I do this with a lot of shows where I over-analyze "where are they going" and get frustrated if it doesn't seem like a sustainable concept. It just seems to be really popular (and all three shows I'm thinking of are ABC) to come up with a really clever hook that makes the show really interesting at first but doesn't seem like it can be kept up long term.

5. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I don't see this as being sustainable over more than one season, either.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think it can keep going. Emily will eventually have to come to terms with her fathers death and the people who caused it. Then a new revenge plot can start against someone else.

What I love most about this show is the dynamic between Amanda/Emily and Victoria. I like both characters but both of are sort of the antagonist and protagonist at the same time. Part of me wants to see them both get whats coming to them but part of me also wants both of them to "win".

7. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Maybe next season someone gets revenge over someone else....

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Someone gets revenge on Emily! :D

9. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    I found myself actually noticing the dresses on the show and commented on them to my wife. :eek:

Am I going gay? I thought that was genetic. I'll have to call my nephew and his partner for advice. Will I have to stop watching this intriguing show?

10. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    The stylist on this show is quite good - I think the dresses are beautiful, too.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    If you didn't notice the dresses on this show, I would question your masculinity.

12. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Real Amanda's revenge plans are spiraling beyond her control.
    We could have been "misled" on who was shot.
    My money is on Faux Amanda a.k.a. "The Stripper"* as the shooter. She has already murdered one person the late chief of Grayson Security, Frank.

* We need to see a long, detailed Hi-Def flashback covering her previous job.

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The scenes with young Amanda locked up and CCH Pounder was coaching her made me think that maybe real Amanda is just a pawn in someone else's revenge plot.

14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yeah, I'm wondering what CCH Pounder's character is up to, too, and the same goes for the Japanese guy that trained Amanda. There are definitely a few mysteries that a 2nd season could explore.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It seemed pretty out of character this week for Nolan to show Jack the tape. Nolan has been pretty loyal to Emily. I have to wonder what's in it for him.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Jack's friendship. He was pretty uneasy about withholding the tape from Jack when he was talking to Emily, and when push came to shove he couldn't do it.

17. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Disagree.

First we've been shown multiple instances where Nolan has come to disagree with Emily's tactics. More importantly the writers deliberately had a refresher scene where Jack thanked Nolan for his friendship. How much more setup do you need for a character's action?

18. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I must not have been paying attention. I didn't see the refresher scene. That's what I get for playing with my iPhone when I watch TV.

I know that Nolan has often disagreed with Emily but Nolan is usually right. Emily does often take things a bit too far. This was an instance where keeping the tape from Jack was not taking it too far. He didn't need to see it and I am surprised he would betray Emily like that. I suppose in the end, Emily got what she wanted but she likes things to be done on her terms. If she finds out he betrayed her, I shudder to think what she may do.

19. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Agree this should have been a one-season mini-series. If they drag it out and start putting in all kinds of filler, as so many shows do, it will really spoil the story.

As for the dresses, since VanCamp and Stowe are both drop-dead gorgeous and seem to be poured into each one they wear every episode, I'd say you can be well-secure in your heterosexuality. Hell, those dresses are one of my favorite parts of the show!

20. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    It's not like the dresses are on mannequins. Commenting on seeing them on a 25 year old super hot blonde kinda makes it ok. :D

-smak-