Revenge - 12/7/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1 of 20
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I could have done without the whole Mr. Miyagi thing, that was pretty silly, especially his "wise" little homilies: "The path of revenge is a rocky road." Or some such nonsense. The plot is starting to get a little convoluted. And I still don't understand why Nolan was conspiring with her in the first place; she sure seems to treat him like shite considering he's helping her out.

2. Dec 9, 2011 #2 of 20
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Nolan is helping her because her dad asked him to and he feels indebted to her dad.

I am betting that either Nolan or the Japanese guy is the killer from the first episode. Nolan might just be pissed off enough by the way everyone treats him. And the Japanese guy is not happy that Emily is so attached to the rich guy and it's clouding her judgment.

3. Dec 9, 2011 #3 of 20
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There's an interesting spoiler concerning the identity of the dead guy on the beach in Ask Ausiello this week...
    According to Emily VanCamp, the original plan was for it to be Daniel but now they're not sure who it is.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #4 of 20
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Emily/Amanda seems to be burning bridges. Looks like she has lost her only two real allies and is really on her own now. Betraying Nolan like that was pretty low. He seems like they type of person who would have been okay with her using the tape, had she asked him. Turns out, seeing as Nolan cancelled his investment with Tyler anyway, that framing Tyler for blackmail probably wasn't really necessary. Amanda's plans are starting to fray a bit.

When is the next new episode? After New Year's Day sometime? My guide data doesn't show any upcoming episodes.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #5 of 20
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, she's certainly becoming less and less sympathetic. And it seems to be a deliberate strategy on the part of the writers (surely they don't expect us to cheer for her when she does this kind of stuff), which leads me to wonder where they're going with this. I suspect Emily is headed for some kind of change of heart, although presumably not one that would affect her overall mission (I doubt they will change the title of the show to Reconciliation)...

6. Dec 9, 2011 #6 of 20
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I felt the same way, there was no need for that burn, one of the few times I've disagreed with the shows logic. I did like that her mentor saw that she's really falling for Daniel, but for me the end game needs to be her with Jack.

7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 20
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Oh that would be a low point, I hate shows that back-pedal on their initial canon, Heroes for one is the gold standard for me.

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 20
    philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Heh

Interesting how the majority of female characters are unsympathetic if not sociopathic and Emily/Amanda is becoming at least seriously damaged by her recent behavior. Most of the men excepting Conrad Grayson & Tyler tend to be of good character and sympathetic. Emily/Amanda's deceased? father, current boyfriend Daniel, the billionaire Nolan Ross and the bar owner Jack are seemingly decent people. While faux Amanda or stripper Amanda and most every other female except possibly the vacuous teen daughter whom I can't stand are not nice people at best. Maybe this is the way soap operas are done. I'm not familiar with the genre.

That said, it's weird that I anticipate the next episode of Revenge with the same excitement that I anticipate Sunday's Patriots football game.

9. Dec 9, 2011 #9 of 20
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    But did they establish for sure that the dead body was Daniel in the first episode? Or was it just an assumption?

10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Seriously, why is that a spoiler? It is talking about something in episode one. Anyway, I'm re-watching the pilot one right now. All episodes are currently available on abc.com. I probably didn't pay much attention during the original airing, or at least not to the right things.

11. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Seriously - because it was in reference to previously posted info that was spoilered. Whatever that person's reason was, I wasn't going to "unspoiler" it.

12. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I think the dead person on the beach is going to be Tyler.

13. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    Tyler's creepy and not even fun to hate. He can be dead. That would be just fine with me.

14. vertigo235

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    That's why I think it him. Unless Daniel becomes evil, and Tyler isn't introduced in the pilot.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's spoilered because it's from a discussion outside of the episode where it was initially mentioned. I'll spoiler my reply also because of the way it was brought up just to be safe.

My issue isn't that because we didn't see it we don't know and now we're wrong, my issue is that if they wrote the scene AS it being Daniel, and built the framework of the first season around that, then backing out of that is not the right way to handle it, and that's very much where Heroes went off track, they went away from their initial canon and tried too hard to retcon it.

16. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Yet another reason that shows should just tell the story in order. I wish they never had that silly flash forward.

17. vertigo235

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I need to go back and watch the pilot again. All we really know is that the dead dude on the beach had Daniel's phone, and Tyler was also nowhere to be seen right?

18. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Back before the season started, a copy of the script was available for free for the Kindle. No longer available, but I still have it. So I looked at it to see what was in the script for the dead person on the beach.

The script calls the body "the dead man" and says he's in a white tuxedo. The final scene in the flash forward is

19. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Now 102 reasons never to wear a tux!

20. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I watched the pilot again a few weeks ago and while it was heavily suggested that it was Daniel, there was no shot of the victim's face and no identifiable or firm evidence to conclusively say it was him. As the season's gone along, I've thought it unlikely they would kill him.

I hope it is not Tyler, because I want him gone long before the end of the season.

As much as I don't want Daniel to die, he also is kind of a worthless character. An aww, shucks nice guy with not much personality. He is playing the rube and it's not all that appealing.