Revenge - 11/16/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    So if Eddie Haskell/Iago didn't want Daniel to come into his father's business, why'd he spike his drink and try to get him fired from the bar?

2. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm not sure Tyler's goal was to get Daniel fired from the bar. I think he had another goal in mind when he spiked the drink.

Tyler is obsessed with Daniel and now we have Amanda (formerly Emily) who seems obsessed with Emily (formerly Amanda). Does she want to be her or do her, it's not really clear.

But if there was ever a reason for hetero men to watch this show, wow. The new girl might be psycho, but she is gorgeous and has no body image issues. Nor is she shy.

3. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Getting falling-down drunk, the first night on the job in a bar, would pretty much assure being fired. It would certainly be expected. If he just wanted to seduce him, he should have had plenty of other, better, opportunities to spike his drink.

4. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree -- of course Daniel didn't actually get fired, strangely enough, but it did seem like that should have been the expected outcome.

Tyler may have wanted Daniel to get fired, I just don't think that was Tyler's primary goal. And even if Daniel was fired from the bar, I'm not sure that Tyler expected Daniel to want to work at Grayson Global. Daniel wasn't working there before he started working at the bar, he showed no interest in working at GG at all. Apparently his goal was to laze around the pool all summer or something. But now he's changing, and it's all due to that evil new girlfriend -- or at least that's how Tyler sees things.

More and more it seems as if it's going to be Tyler on that beach at the engagement party, and not Daniel. I hope. Tyler is just so creepy.

5. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I really thought this show was going to suck but I actually look forward to this every week.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To me, this show is the very definition of "guilty pleasure."

"I hate myself for loving you." :D

7. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Every time I watch this show at least once I see Emily on screen and think "she's a cold, hard *****!"

I hate that I love a show with such an evil premise. This show actually reminds me of a more sinister The OC - the uber rich, isolated society with the never ending onslaught of absurd melodrama.

8. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It is interesting to me that Amanda/Emily seems to have gotten her start at being a heartless manipulator with lessons she received from the warden of the juvenile detention facility. From various flashbacks, it seems like the prison warden may have even tutored Amanda for quite a while in the not-so-gentle art of manipulation. Kind of like the bizarro version of "A Clockwork Orange".

9. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't feel any guilt at all. It's not Mad Men, but I think it's very entertaining, and well done. It's not trying to pretend it's Mad Men.

Madeleine Stowe helps elevate the material. I'm on the fence about EVC. I think she's doing a decent job, but I'm not sure she has the depth necessary to really do justice to such a complex character.

But I like that Emily is not very sympathetic. That's one of my favorite things about the show, that she's not so likable.

10. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    The guy simply enjoys screwing with people's lives to the point where he doesn't always see that the consequences might not align with his over-all plans.

11. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm wondering how much longer Mark Zuckerberg is going to put up with Emily's demanding nastiness. I don't understand why that character continues to help her out, because she can't even offer a thank you to him after complying with her always immediate demands. I understand the guy seems to enjoy schadenfreude, but certainly the law of diminishing returns must be kicking in.

12. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I think he feels a strong loyalty to her father.

I also think he is hiding something from Emily, that there is more to the backstory he told her, and hopefully we will find out soon what it is.

But he's definitely not helping her out to be a nice guy. He hates the people who betrayed her father too, and doesn't mind watching them go down. And he doesn't want her to get caught or get hurt, which I think goes back to his loyalty to her dad.

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I agree about the loyalty but I think there is something else. I think he may have a grudge against the Grayson's as well.

14. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    It looks like her girlfriend is starting to turn on her and the others as well...

15. BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I may have missed this in other threads, but do we know for sure that Dad is dead? Have we seen any definitive proof of his demise, other than Emily being told when she was released?

16. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I think it does suck, but I look forward to it anyways. I like Stowe and VanCamp. And there's a lot going on, much of it "beneath the surface". All the characters seem to have hidden agendas. It's bad, but fun bad.

17. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    It's interesting how Emily's character has grown less sympathetic, although I for one like the ah witch. Going forward I think they're laying the ground for a sympathetic Katherine Grayson back story. They hinted at this in the exchange she had with her son where he gave a 'throw away' line saying that something awful must have happened to her in her past to make her (his mom) the way she is. She's played by the only big name actress so featuring her even more isn't unlikely.

And as to the murdering stripper, the writers can't let her be caught by the police and live because it's too likely that Emily/Amanda's real story will come out. She's next in my death pool.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was surprised she lasted the episode. I was convinced that "going to France" would turn out to be a euphemism for "being murdered by your old prison buddy."