Revenge - 10/26/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Why am I still watching this? It must be Emily Van Camp, I think I have a crush.

Tyler's Eddie Haskell/Iago routine is really getting old. Plus the guy playing him is a terrible actor.

Wow, barboy sure did a heck of a great job on that swing with just a small toolbox and 2 pieces of wood!

So when the the front desk guy and security guy are reviewing the apt surveillance tapes, front desk guy doesn't notice security guy going into the apt right before computer-genius guy?

2. jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Still thoroughly enjoying the show and I too have a crush on her. :)

3. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Well, I love the concept, I just don't think they're living up to that intriguing premise.

4. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Love the show!

Loved the episode. The plot has definitely thickened, now that Frank is on Emily's trail.

Daniel the poor little rich boy comes across as kind of an idiot. He can't see through the Eddie Haskell routine? I loved Emily giving Tyler the slamdown during dinner. It wasn't smart, but I liked that she wasn't pulling any punches, even though she had to know that Daniel and Ashley wouldn't like it.

5. Archangel00

Archangel00 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah the security footage thing was a pretty big screw up, and yeah this Tyler character/story line and the actor portraying him are awful.

Nonetheless I'm really enjoying it here too.

6. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Is this a female-viewer oriented show?

I have all the episodes recorded but have not watched any yet because it seemed like the kind of show that might get the axe and you get no resolution.

My wife mentioned that a lot of her friends love this show and she wants to start watching it but she thinks it might be something I wouldn't care about. Trying to decide if I should watch it with her or do my own thing while she watches.

Thanks. :)

7. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have no doubt that female viewers make up the majority of the audience. It's basically a soap, but darker and more sinister than most. And the two lead characters -- Emily and Victoria -- are female.

Otoh, they are both very pretty and might appeal to male viewers (and I'm guessing the comments above about crushing on Emily van Camp come from men!). They run the show (both figuratively and literally) and the male characters are mostly just their playthings.

The show has already been picked up for the whole season so you can be sure that we will get to see the entire first season without it getting axed. Whether it lives to see a second season remains to be seen, but we won't know that for a good while.

Did you watch Alias or Veronica Mars? Those shows had female leads but certainly appealed to male viewers. I think Revenge is more like that than it is like Grey's Anatomy.

ETA: Tell your wife to start watching pronto! It's surprisingly good imho and it has a lot of twists and turns so she might not want to be spoiled by reading about it. I watch very few network shows and I've got an SP for this one. This and the Good Wife are about it for me as dramas go.

8. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    I LOVE Veronica Mars. Also enjoyed the first season or two of Alias.

A female being the lead doesn't make me less interested in a show at all. Heck, the best comedy leads on television right now are women (Leslie Knope and Liz Lemon!!!).

Funny you mention Grey's Anatomy. What made my wife say I might not like it is one of her friends commented that she was looking forward to watching episodes of Revenge more than Grey's Anatomy. I don't watch Grey's Anatomy per se. When my wife wants to watch it I'll surf my MMA sites. I'd say I catch about 80% of it though and some of it is really good. I used to not even stay in the room when she watched it but I saw a season premiere or season finale of Grey's that had a gunman in the hospital. It was a 2 hour episode. What an episode that was!!!

A show like Private Practice though, that is just garbage. I couldn't even be in the same room when that trash was on. Was really glad when she dropped it.

As for Emily VanCamp... Wow. She might be one of the most beautiful women I've ever laid eyes on. She has what seems like effortless natural beauty.

9. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Veronica Mars was one of my favorite shows of all time. I don't want to get your hopes up about Revenge, it's not THAT good.

But it's closer in feel to VM than the other ABC shows aimed at women, like Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. It's pretty dark. And it does not revolve around romance and bedhopping. The lead character does have romance, but it's a side effect of the whole Revenge plot. She is pretty sinister and fairly unsympathetic at times. Which makes me love her more!

That's an obvious reason you should be watching this. This show is a great showcase for EVC, more than Everwood or Brothers and Sisters. She is almost playing a dual role. And she looks fantastic, and gets to wear a lot of gorgeous gowns.

But Madeleine Stowe is the main reason I love it so much. She is kicking ass and taking names, and looking fantastic while doing it. :)

10. ClutchBrake

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Madeleine Stowe? I've been in love with her for, oh, 25 years now! I'm definitely in. :)

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I think it's terrible that Madeleine gets tops billing. Emily is clearly the star of the show.

12. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Emily plays the lead role but Madeleine Stowe is the STAR.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm not I get your point. Yes, Stowe is clearly the most recognizable name in the cast and I'm sure that's why she (or rather, her agent) was able to garner her first billing.

IMO, first billing should go to the lead role. That's Emily. Stowe should have settled for the last credit ("and...")

14. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    You'll have to take that up with EVC's agent, for not pushing harder on getting lead billing. :p

EVC has her first true lead role. I'm sure she was thrilled with that and did not mind that MS was getting top billing. MS is an accomplished film actress and they were lucky to get her to do a nighttime soap. And she is killing it.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Actually, I think the actor portraying him is doing a great job, although I am with you in not liking the character very much. There was that scene at the beginning on Emily's porch where he was scared out of his wits, then realized she had scored, made a catty remark, then went back to being scared out of his wits. And the actor shifted between the moods effortlessly.

I can't imagine what Frank thought he would accomplish viewing the security tapes. He KNEW they would show him, and I can see no reason he would expect them to show anybody else...apparently he was looking for whoever set up the surveillance footage of the murder, but that could have been done at any time since she moved into the place. So why call attention to the fact that he was present at her death, in front of a witness?

16. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    None of this makes any sense to me either.

Lydia's apartment is off-limits because the police have considered it a crime scene, or at least have considered it an investigation into her fall. Doesn't that mean the police are doing some sort of investigation?

The newspapers proclaim it a suicide attempt already, but a beautiful woman dressed to the nines in an evening gown just sits at home in her apartment and jumps off a balcony? Please. And she was going through a messy bitter divorce. Investigate a little bit, police. At least look at the security camera video to see who might have been in the apartment with her. Ask the security guards if they saw anybody.

And Frank is supposed to be a total badass security expert, ex-FBI agent and all, right? So he would know about the security cameras, and would know that he was on them. His attitude of being shocked that there was security video made no sense.

17. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I hope the Mark Zuckerberg character isn't really dropping back. His help for Emily is always amusing in some way.

It would be nice if they somehow put and end to the Daniel/Tyler thing. Daniel continuing to be so oblivious to it all is too far fetched. Have they provided a motive on why Tyler is being such a prick?

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, no, he wouldn't have known about the camera that Tyler accidentally planted inside the apartment. From what he said later, I guess he expected to see Conrad slipping in with a hidden security camera installation kit in his hands, and was surprised to see Tyler. I wonder if the writers remembered that Tyler wasn't there to install hidden security cameras; he was there to recover the camera that Lydia had inadvertently stolen from Emily. And as I said before, given his assumption there is no reason whatsoever to expect that the camera had been installed just before the murder, and no reason to expect that it wasn't still there. So what would he reasonably have expected to find on the building security footage, other than incriminating video of himself?

19. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I agree with Rob 100% on everything he said.

And, CluthBrake, I am a single, heterosexual, 30-something male. ;) And I totally love this show. and am in love with Emily VanCamp.

[edit] except for confusing the names part

20. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    You mean Nolan. Not Tyler.

Nolan is the Mark Zuckerberg character. Tyler is the Talented Mr. Ripley character. :p

Nolan broke into Lydia's apartment to get a FAX, I don't think it was about the tiny camera in Shamu. The fax was a list of employees coming from the caterer that hired Amanda Clarke to work that party in the photo where Emily (Amanda) had dark hair.

I know that Frank didn't know about the camera that Nolan put in Lydia's apt (accidentally, it was actually Lydia that put it there after Emily sent it to her unknowingly). I was talking about the security camera footage in the building.

My main question is really: why didn't the police get that security video right away when they started "investigating" Lydia's fall? It doesn't make sense to jump to the conclusion that it was suicide without at least trying to find out if she was home alone or with someone else. She is in an evening gown, for crying out loud! That isn't proper attire to sit at home, alone and depressed.

And my secondary question is why didn't Frank think about the security footage immediately? It was as if it had never occurred to him until Victoria told him she saw the video (the other video, the one from Shamu).