Returning to Tivo -- Premiere XL or Bolt OTA/cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by snicklefritz, May 30, 2020.

1. snicklefritz

snicklefritz New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I used Tivo for a couple of years but gave it up when I moved and couldn't get OTA signals. I went without TV and streamed on wifi and my Roku. Now I'm picking up a cable deal and thinking I'd rather buy a Tivo with lifetime and pay for a cheap cablecard than have to pay for a cable box every month. (This will be with RCN. Hope it works. With Service Electric, never got the M card to work despite three service calls and countless hours on my end.)

Suggestions are nice but I won't use them a ton. I do care about picture quality but don't have a 4K TV -- my plasma tv will work now.

I feel like I'm entering a conversation and missed so much... what are the tradeoffs between just getting a Premiere with lifetime on eBay, versus upgrading to a Bolt? I really want a device that can get both cable and OTA, even if not at the same time.

2. Mister B

Mister B Member TCF Club

Jan 23, 2011
    El Paso...
    There are many reports of the Premiere having a very poor OTA tuner. It seemed to be especially troublesome in cases where there is multipath reflections of the signal. I myself found it to be almost unusable at only 25 flat miles from the transmitters due to the wind blowing some pine trees in the line of sight. I have had no problems with the older Series 3 units or the Bolt.

3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    A good compromise between the brutally slow and ancient Premiere and Bolt would be a Roamio OTA. My last two lifetime units were around $200 each and have been performing flawlessly for years. You can add a cable card bracket to an OTA Roamio for about $30. If you don't want to bother with that, a basic Roamio will do both without modification.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Only dual tuner premieres can receive both cable and OTA, but they can receive them at the same time. The streaming apps on the premiere are painfully slow.

5. snicklefritz

snicklefritz New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Excellent suggestions. I had a great antenna and towers nearby where I used to live, so reception was ok (or ok enough) with the Premiere XL. I now have awful reception and likely will just use cable for a year.... but I hate getting a Tivo that doesn't have the flexibility for both.

I need to start looking at sources other than eBay, as well, I guess. Buying an old Tivo with lifetime and adding the cablecard at $1.50 a month seems to make so much more sense than paying the company $10/month for the cable box you must rent if you don't rent a DVR or M-card.

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    ... or don't buy anything, cancel cable and get Youtube TV? Unlimited DVR, tons of cable channels and all your locals, no antenna required.

7. snicklefritz

snicklefritz New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I've done OTA when I lived elsewhere and loved it. Sadly I live in an awful place or OTA. I can get two network channels. I've tried outdoor antennas supposed to pull in 70 miles. I've been on the phone with a well known antenna company known for customer service, and I provide my address and after they typed it in to the computer, they said, "oh, you really *are* in a tough location..." And since I lease a townhouse, I'm limited in antenna options.

I've streamed for 5 years but I want some better options. A new cable company is coming to my neighborhood and I want to take advantage of their deal for a year. But if I move, I'll definitely go back to OTA so I want my new Tivo to have both OTA and cable capabilities. If I have cable for two years, what I save with an M card vs a cable box will pay for the Tivo, if not the lifetime.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I can't speak to OTA as my OTA reecption here is virtually nil and I've never had a Premiere, but it seems the Premiere is very old and outdated if the dates below are correct:
    TiVo digital video recorders - Wikipedia
    TiVopedia - TiVo History - look at Premiere links on the left.

Someone at List of Tivo Models commented about how much faster than TiVo mini was vs. their Premiere. I have a 2015 model Mini (TiVo digital video recorders - Wikipedia) and it's pretty quick.

I went from a TiVo HD (no-OLED display) to a Bolt+ via their "once in a lifetime" transfer offer.

I wouldn't bother w/the apps on even the Bolt+. Just get something like a device from Roku if you care about that. (I have a very old Roku 3, an Apple TV 4K and a earlier gen round Chromecast.)

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  9. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    BTW, not sure if you're aware, but there's a sale going on (at least for me) on Bolt OTA and Bolt Vox. Unfortunately, they seem OOS of the Bolt Vox 1 TB.

With the code SAVEBOLT
    Too bad I don't need more TiVos otherwise I'd consider jumping on this deal.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Do note: the TiVo sale ends shortly (tomorrow?).

11. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Oops, I forgot to post a working link. It's at https://www.tivo.com/shop.Deals.

The email I got says it goes thru "11:59 pm PST on June 1, 2020, or while supplies last."

12. snicklefritz

snicklefritz New Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I got one! Thanks for posting. They were indeed out of the 1T drives so I have a 500MB.... but still worth it, and I don't actually save a lot of stuff on the drive. Or didn't the last time I was using Tivo.

So my old Premiere XL with NO lifetime.... send it to the recycling bin? Worth anything?