Returning my first tivo...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rijowysock, Nov 16, 2010.

1. rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010

Advertisements

i bought tivo because of my frustrating cable company... 132$ for cable+hbo+dvr box+dvr service...

figured without the DVR+DVR service it would remove the 9.95 and 6.95 off my account making the tivo about the same price (over 2 years with the PLSR discount on lifetime)

so i get Tivo box (2 weeks late cause Electronics-Expo takes 2 weeks before they ship items)

i go to set it up and the PLSR coupon cannot be entered online now, call up and they do not accept it cause not multi service discount being applied.. thats understandable.. they then tell me since i got the box after 14th that im only allowed to do the 19.99/mon plan since they have started this promo..

i explain i paid the full price 299 for box, and not the 99 promo price... they say that they have no way of checking that and since i am setting up the box today that i pay the 19.99

on top of all this my cable company wants 50$ to send a guy out to insert a card, and basically 8$ a mon for the card+tuner needed...

im sorry but the tivo might be great and all but for a additional 50 here and 100/yr there its just not worth any of this!...

i wish expo would have shipped my damn box on time so i could have signed up online prior to the 14th... everything would be cheaper and more simple then

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You should return the box and check back in after the new year. The current promo is only scheduled to run until December 31. They may revert back to the old plans after that and you can get a Premiere cheaper than $299 if you look around.

3. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    What a cluster! When I got my second S3 I didn't bother to sub it for a few weeks. Now that could have been a disaster. Who would have suspected that there was a deadline looming?

BTW, my buddy bought a Mitsubishi DLP HDTV from Amazon on my say so, only he ended up getting it from Electronics Expo. It was DOA on arrival and they said that all sales are final and he needs to call Mits for service. They send out a tech who says it needs a part ordered. He had a dead brand-new TV for 6 weeks until the guy shows up with the part, replaces it and still nothing. Then he sees that a cable was unplugged. Stay away from Electronics Expo.

4. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    You may want to wait a day or 3. Apparently 6th Ave sold a bunch of $99 tivos a day before the price increase. At first tivo's CS said they'd honor the pre Nov14th deal then today there's a number of reports to the contrary. I'm hopeful there will be a change once all the people who bought from 6th ave call up for service & give them a ear full.

5. t1voproof

t1voproof Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Advertisements

Tivo screwed up. It's unfortunate for everyone who just bought one.

6. ldc3000

ldc3000 Member

Jun 24, 2004
    NC
    That's incorrect. I ordered mine on 11/9/10 from EE and it arrived on 11/15/10. The website only allows for the $19.99 monthly rate, but if you call customer service and tell them the order date, they should honor that date. They did for me. I do believe that the $299 PLS is the MDS pricing and that you wouldn't qualify for that rate if this is your first unit. You should still be able to get the PLS at the $399 rate thou.

7. rbendorf

rbendorf New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I just contacted 6ave.com to cancel my order that I places on 13 Nov 10. I am a long time Tivo user, one Series 2 (lifetime), and one HD (yearly), but will be looking elsewhere when my existing yearly contract is complete. I don't know a lot about Moxi or the other systems, but I am sure that many people will be also looking for alternative systems and plans. With the rapid technological advances in this county, someone will take advantage of Tivo's stupidity/lack of business acumen and develop a superior DVR system to eclipse that Tivo has pioneered.

8. rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    when i tried to even set up the TIVO i kept getting the S02 error, tried the format of software #56 and #57 and still S02, goes to 78% or 98% and then S02 pops up every time.

expo said they would not charge a restock fee so i guess im only out shipping x2 and several hours of my time.

3 hours on phone
    5 hours trying to get the tivo to download the software (getting S02 error everytime)

when i called they said i can only choose the 19.99 option.. such a scam.