Returning after MANY years away - need recommendations

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jmace57, Dec 19, 2019.

1. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    This is probably my first post on the forum in 5 or 6 years - maybe more. I was a fairly early adopter of TiVo products a long time ago (right when Series 2 came out). Through the years I bought many, both for myself and family members. In fact I still show at tivo.com several Series 2s (long gone) with Lifetime service and one Series 3 with Lifetime service (I have it, but think it has a bad hard drive). Plus I have a Roamio that was always month to month and is currently inactive. I also have a mini I bought years ago and never hooked up.

At my previous residence, the local cable company used a TiVo-based cable-box, and minis for the other rooms. My wife and I fell back in love with the TiVo interface. We have now moved again very recently and we just have the AWFUL DVR from the cable company. Both my wife and I want to go back to TiVos if we can. The cable provider (Spectrum) DOES have cable cards available.

So, time has moved on and I now see "Bolt" and "Edge" models. We are not huge videophiles needing to store 300 hours of HD content. We are thinking that the "Bolt VOX" would be adequate. Then there is an item called a mini-VOX, which I presume is the replacement for the old Mini? However, and I don't know if it matters, we have 2 of the 4K TVs with 2180 resolution.

I have one main TV, and plan to have perhaps 2 others using TiVo. Is there anything really USABLE that I already have? The old Series 3, or the Roamio (cable enabled version) or Mini? Or should I just trash everything and start over? I presume TiVo doesn't (occasionally) transfer Lifetime service like in the old days?

SO, that's my story. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best reasonably-priced setup?

Many thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  2. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    One other follow-up...is pairing a cablecard with a TiVo still the ordeal it used to be? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Why spend extra $$ for the Bolt or Edge, the Hydra/v21 is so buggy, its not worth it. Just Re-sub that Roamio and you are good to go. What model is it? If its a 6 tuner model, that is cable only. The 4 tuner Basic model can do cable or OTA, 4 tuner OTA is just OTA.

Best subscription is lifetime (now called All-in). $550 for that. Monthly/Yearly would cost too much in the long run. It would take 3 years to reach $550 on monthly and more beyond. You might get All-in cheaper but you need to call to find out. I'd haggle and say its too high to afford.

What's worse now on Bolts running v21 is Tivo Plus, tons of ads.

jmace57 likes this.
  4. pshivers

pshivers Retired

Nov 4, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I'd get the Roamio going and the unused Mini, maybe find another mini on eBay. As recommended, get All In subscription for all the above.

Spectrum will also need to provide you with Tuning Adapter in addition to the cable card for the Roamio so you can receive all their channels.

From what you wrote, that should do well to meet your needs. You will not get 4K from this Tivo setup is the only downside.

Paul Shivers

jmace57 likes this.
  5. Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
    I have 2 Bolt's with M cable cards running on Spectrum. Both were paired on the first call to the number listed during the set up, and have been running without issue for over 1 year. I'm fortunate to live in an area that doesn't use cable cards which seem to be issue prone.

jmace57 likes this.
  6. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    M cable cards ARE cable cards...this don't make sense. Did you mean to say your area doesn't use TA's???

7. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    For lifetime transfers, it does occasionally happen. You'll have to get that Series 3 up and running and connected to the TiVo service periodically (say once every 6 months) in order for it to be eligible for a trade in.

jmace57 likes this.
  8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    In my experience (on Spectrum): No. But the Tuning Adapter (TA), which you most likely will need on Spectrum, frequently is another story, both getting it going initially and keeping it going long term. Has been that way for over a decade (formerly with TWC). And if anything the problems seem to be getting worse based on posts here.

In some regions you can do without the TA and lose only a few channels you may not care about. But in other regions many of the main-stream channels are SDV and thus require the TA. You have shown your location (Bellaire TX) so ideally another forum member on Spectrum Cable TV in that area will tell you whether SDV (TA) is required to get main-stream channels. If you are going to want a TA, the next question is: can your Spectrum region even find one to give you? (That has been a problem for some forum members recently.)

I lived with a TA on Spectrum for ten years, during which it was a PITA, frequently going dead and having to be power-cycled. Hope you have better luck.

9. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    Thanks to all for your replies. I am actually in San Marcos, TX now. I have never even heard of a Tuning Adapter before. I will see if I can get the Series 3 up and running again. If it is the drive, will it automatically format the drive (I know that was sort of a later feature), or will I need to get an image from Weaknees?

Oh, and the Roamio I have is the 4 tuner that can also do OTA.

We have JUST moved to this area 3 or 4 days ago and a just now realizing how horrible the Spectrum DVR is...and the lack of whole home abilities.

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, Series 3 must have a matching model image on the drive. It is also phased out. The Roamio can format and upgrade itself up to 3tb and more, with help of a PC.

Call Tivo CS, you may get a deal on another lifetime or transfer from S3 (doubt they do transfers anymore.)

11. Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
    Sorry, Yes I meant to say TA's.

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You can get an image from either the Upgrade forum here or the S3/HD forum but note that the S3/HD models also had capacitor issues with the power supply. It's an easy fix for around $10.00 if you know how to solder (or have a friend who can solder).

As others have recommended, I would go for the Roamio with Mini's (especially if 4 tuners is enough for recording and watching live TV). You can check back after reactivating and see if they'll offer you a discount on All-in/Lifetime service or the other option would be to pick up a Roamio Plus/Pro used on eBay with 6 tuners and All-in/Lifetime service.

Scott