Return of S03 error on older units

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sfhub, May 13, 2017.

1. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    This is on S3 OLED.

So I hadn't seen an S03 error in ages, even for a box that hadn't connected in months.

I noticed yesterday my area got a guide update to enable the Comcast channel #s above 1000. This essentially increases your amount of channel guide data by 50% (we don't actually have more channels being broadcast, this is just an overlay of channel #s to make navigation more consistent in different markets)

Now my S3 OLED is getting the S03 upon loading program data (last step of connecting to mothership). I am pretty sure the drive is fine. It was reimaged last week and disk diagnostics indicate no bad sectors.

So I am very suspicious that the enabling of guide data for channel #s above 1000 is the root cause of the problem. It seemed like last time we got hit with this problem, there were hints that it was due to guide data size (directv and dish people saw the problem but usually not cable subscribers)

Just posting this as something to look out for. I know a lot of people recently did the bolt upgrade and may be still in the process of moving shows over but might also have other units they intend to keep.

If you are in an S03 situation, your unit won't download guide data successfully (it'll download but "loading info" will fail with S03 error), but will otherwise work. If you repeat guided setup, usually you will be stuck in an S03 loop and you can't access TiVo menus anymore because you are in the middle of the Setup process. I believe you can avoid the S03 loop issue by doing "clear program guide and todo list" but I also recall there was a less invasive way. It may have been switching to OTA then back to cable or it might have been clearing the thumbs up stuff.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Changing from OTA to cable, or cable to OTA, triggers at least part, if not all, of Guided Setup, so I'd avoid that like the plague.

I haven't heard of anyone trying to cure it with "Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions", so I'd be inclined not to risk it, and to resign myself to taking the time to do Clear program information & To Do List

3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    So I was able to resolve the S03 error. I had an image ready to go for reimaging and I had moved all the shows off the unit already, so it didn't really matter that I kept everything intact.

I ended up doing the repeat guided setup and it did the S03 error so I thought at that point I was stuck in the guided setup loop (it won't let you select a new provider while in this loop) and was getting ready to reimage.

I got distracted and when I came back 30 min later, on a whim, I tried connecting again (the guided setup error page has an option to connect again). This time it got to 30% in loading before the S03 error. So I waited another 15 minutes, and tried again. This time it got to 60% before S03 error. Final time, it got all the way done.

I figured I wasn't out of the woods yet, as it only downloaded a few days of data for the initial guided setup. I did another connect to the mothership and it downloaded the rest of the guide without issues.

I recall now why I had in my head about switching to OTA. That is how I cleared up my friend's S03 error that was induced by too much data for a tuning adapter set up. I redid guided setup and chose OTA, which worked, then redid guided setup again, choosing cable. That ended up resolving the S03 error, but that probably was a different type of S03 error.

I know S03 is supposed to be corrupted data, but it seems it is actually a catch-all error for any error that happens during the loading process. It seems when you have lots of data to process, the chances of seeing the S03 error is greater.

It also seems they have somewhat alleviated the problem. Before it seemed like S03 would never go away once you got hit with it. Now it seems like it makes some progress, then if you wait a little bit and start it again, it makes a little more incremental progress. So if you hit S03, just wait a little, connect again, and repeat. Eventually it'll get done processing.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    So just to provide more information on this. At some point I did a clear program information and to do list.

This also resolved the S03 error. However I usually leave this unit disconnected and connect every once in a while. Within a month the S03 error returned.

I believe this all has to do with the Comcast guide data increasing by 50% since they added the 1000+ channels #s.

As long as you are connecting everyday it seems the incremental data will not trigger the S03 error, but if you are connecting every once in a while some garbage is accumulating which triggers the S03 error.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you using cable cards? (plural on purpose since you've got a 648)

Are you using a tuning adapter?

If you're using a tuning adapter, do you know about the lamp timer trick?

6. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    CableCARDs - previously
    CableCARD (singular) - currently
    Tuning Adapter - no, never

Would be curious what the lamp timer trick was anyway.

Clear Program Guide and To Do List allowed all the guide data to be downloaded and loaded again. When it fails with S03 it is usually around 65% of loading.

7. JeffInDFW

JeffInDFW Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    I know its an old thread but I wanted to add a data point. I had not used my Series 3 OLED in several years, plugged it in and got the S03 error. I also kept rerunning setup and each time it got a little further before giving the error. After 3-4 times, it went through.

I kicked cable (again) to the curb, and dug out my old Tivo to go OTA and was really surprised when I found that it did indeed have a digital tuner. Good to have my old friend back.

8. HairyHarry

HairyHarry New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    ...to add another 2020 "data point" to JeffInDFW's note above, I'm getting a service connection failure for the past two weeks now on my Roamio OTA with a new 8TB HD upgrade as of three weeks ago. I've tried numerous manual service reconnects that all fail. I've now unplugged the Roamio's ethernet cable and am waiting the TiVo company prescribed 3 or 4 days to reconnect it and see if service will successfully reconnect.

In addition to the prescribed possible fix, I've noticed another solution from 2017 that I'll try next if need be. It requires a small bit of computer expertise and has to do with the TiVo company server's not linking up to customer router's correctly--that solution is located at [page title] CONNECTION FAILING 12/23/17 [link location] tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/connection-failing-12-23-17.556275/page-3

BTW, so far I've noticed the loss of the program scheduling media guide, while the channel list is fully intact and the one pass list is too except with the media guide lost [empty] the one pass program list is all grayed out. All program recordings are intact and manual recording is fully functional, though without an active media guide manual recording titles become REC followed by the channel number & abbreviation letters, for example: REC 10.1-WYNT

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...