Return of $99 Lifetime transfer offer

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by krkaufman, Jul 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Active Series 2 through Premiere units with Lifetime service are eligible, to effectively transfer their Lifetime service, for $99, to a newly-purchased
    BOLT.

See this thread: Summer Breeze Sale of a Lifetime. Save $450!

2. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    Thanks for the heads-up on this.
    As I understand it it's for transfer to a new bolt Vox.
    Thanks Tivo but:
    1. I have no interest in voice controls.
    2. Having to return my Bolt plus to Tivo to fix the seemingly widespread "all front lights flashing" problem leaves me with concerns about the quality of the new Bolts.
    I have 3 qualifying units but I'm not sure if I want to continue into the morass of Bolt and Hydra.

3. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    We have two Tivo Premieres (the 2 tuner models) with 3TB drives in each. Can we use MRV and multiroom transfer between one of these Premieres and a new Bolt?

I believe the 2 tuner Premiere doesn't work with a Mini? But if it works with a Bolt I might upgrade one of the Premieres. Both are eligible and have 3TB drives in them. I think we would be fine storage wise with one 3TB Premiere, one 500gb Bolt (upgrade in a year maybe) and a Mini.

We have been using our basement TV more but it has no Tivo on it so mostly do streaming and whatever clear QAMM Fios gives us. Being able to put a mini down there and do MRV and borrow a tuner from the Bolt would be great. We could also move the mini (or buy another one) to the spare bedroom when we have guests.

4. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Yes, you can do MRV between a Premiere and a Bolt.

Minis also work partially with a 2-tuner Permiere. Although a Mini can't be paired with a 2-tuner Premiere, you can pair Minis to the Bolt and still access shows that are stored on the Premiere from Minis as well as from the Bolt.

jcondon likes this.
  5. jcondon

Jul 9, 2003
    Thanks for the info. It is actually better then I thought.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ditto: MRV (transfers) will work between the 2-tuner Premiere and the BOLT — assuming the BOLT is rolled-back from Hydra after all the initial software updates. (Transfers to a Hydra/gen4/21.* box are possible but can only be queued via TiVo Online. MRV works mostly as it always has with both boxes running Encore/gen3/20.*.)

That said, what with you being a FiOS customer I have to wonder why all the chatter about MRV and not MRS (streaming rather than transfers)? How are your boxes currently networked (wireless, Ethernet, MoCA)? What connectivity do you have at the locations you’re eyeing for Minis?

7. jcondon

Jul 9, 2003
    I thought MRV was multi room viewing? Most of what we want to do is sit down at any one of 3 TVs and view anything on the other two tivos. The TV in the basement has no cable box, Tivo or anything. Very occasionally we will move shows from one Tivo whose drive might be full (although currently not an issue). We would want to move all the shows off which ever Premiere we upgrade to a Bolt to either the new Bolt or the other Premiere.

All TV locations have Coax, Moca and Ethernet (two of them the Ethernet is over the MoCA).

Seeing lots of negative things about Hydra might just skip this promo at this point. Not sure why Tivo makes this overly complicated. Every time I look at it and think I understand it I find out I don't. Hate to waste money and not be able to do what I think should be basic functionality and should not be restricted or require additional hoops to jump through. I spend my days troubleshooting computers and networks. No desire to do that at home when I just want to watch TV.

What we have works except we can't watch Tivo in the basement. Thought maybe I could pick up a Bolt to upgrade one of the Premieres and then a mini for the basement.

Perhaps I wait till they hopefully run this sale next year and see if we even care about traditional Cable/Fios TV. We are streaming more and more each year.

ETA: Moca 1.1 network.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  8. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    You're not required to stick with Hydra. Downgrading is easy on a new unit, since there is no loss of recordings.

You can do exactly that if you want. Adding a Mini in the basement would allow you to stream live TV from the Bolt and watch recordings from either the Bolt or the Premiere.

jcondon likes this.
  9. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    It's also to transfer Lifetime to a new NON-Vox as well... the white TiVo offered in this promo is of the non-Vox flavor. Just sayin'.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What snerd said. Hydra should not be a roadblock for you, since it can easily be rolled-back.

That said, to maybe clear some miscommunication up...
    • MRV (Multi-Room Viewing) is TiVo’s older multi-room technology, which involves transferring programs between compatible DVRs, subject primarily to copy-protection limits.
    • MRS (Multi-Room Streaming) is the newer tech, allowing instantaneous playback via streamed content between compatible DVRs (and to Minis). MRS doesn’t have the same copy-protection issues of MRV transfers, but is only available for Premiere and later DVRs and requires more network bandwidth and better response than MRV. Similarly, Minis rely on streamed content. (TiVo officially requires wired network connections for MRS and Mini streaming.)
    Given you have a fully wired network, and would be rolling the new BOLT back to the Encore/gen3 UI, you’ll have full MRV and MRS functionality. You’ll be able to transfer any non-protected programs from the “donor” Premiere to the new BOLT; and, again as snerd said, your Minis will have access to all content on the BOLT and remaining Premiere, via the BOLT’s My Shows listing, which is mirrored to the Minis.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    jcondon likes this.
  11. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I ended up pulling the trigger. I have two eligible 2-tuner Premieres. 1 tsn was sufficient to apply to two Bolts. I fully expected the discount to apply to only 1 new unit.

12. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    Does it have 4 tuners? If so, I might be tempted to apply it to my old HD?

13. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    Yes.

14. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I think the 3TB drive in the Bolt Plus and via DIY on 4-tuner Bolts may be generating too much heat and causing failures. The 1TB Bolt should have a lower failure rate.

15. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I received a 500GB Bolt yesterday with this deal, but returned it today. It couldn't get a signal on 4 of my channels using the same OTA antenna in the same spot. Tivo is sending me another Bolt, but if it does the same thing then I want my money back and I'll pass on the Bolt.

16. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    3 TB Bolt+ operating for over 1 year without any issues at all.

17. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    Mine went out suddenly at 18 months. I hope your good luck continues.

18. jcondon

Jul 9, 2003
    Almost pulled the trigger yesterday but they are out of the 500GB in Black. Maybe if it comes back in stock in the next few days. Or maybe get the 1TB. Wife and I keep going back and forth on this.

19. ericdkirk

ericdkirk New Member

Oct 9, 2014
    So i got a bolt with this promo for my die'n premier and cant seem to get the website to queue anything if i select transfer all nothing ever shows up in the todo of the bolt. Am I missing something?