retrieving taped shows from an expired unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by iremain69, Jul 18, 2007.

1. iremain69

iremain69 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi , I have one of the first Tivo units by Philips model HDR 31202. I have long let my subscription expire and mistakenly reset it to factory settings but my recorded shows are still on the memory. When I hook it up to get the shows off it makes me go thru the whole set up process (like in the beginning) before getting back to the "Now Playing" screen....and of course won't let me without subscription. Is there anyway to get to my taped shows off of here so I can get rid of this unit and get a newer one?

thanks

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    :) Remove the tape and put it into your VCR? :)

Sorry about that. I couldn't resist!

Hopefully, a standalone owner can help.

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Subscribe the old TiVo and move off your shows to a VCR then cancel the subscription within the first 30 days for full refund.

4. iremain69

iremain69 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    i thought of that , but they only refund within 30 days on new subscriptions , not renewals and that would be considered early termination...thats what the fine print says

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
  6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Thats a way to do it, but then the Shows are still on the Old Unit.

If the OP only wants to delete the shows thats fine, but if they want to "transfer" them to another unit, they will need to hack the unit and all that to be able to do this.

:D

7. Alarmcluck

Alarmcluck New Member

Aug 5, 2006
    once you get the flag reset, hook the output of the old unit to an input on the new unit. You'll have to play each and every show in real time in order to do this. There's probably a way to remove the hard drive from the old unit and transfer the recordings to something else, but I'm not savvy enough to tell you how.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You don't need to sub, just complete guided setup. You can do that for free.
    Once GS is complete, you can access your NPL.

9. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    GS will not complete unless the unit is subbed, or the non-sub flag is set properly.