Retrieving MAK Key from Old Computer

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bridget, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Bridget

Bridget New Member

Oct 17, 2008

Advertisements

I've seen this covered elsewhere but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this from old threads. I recently discovered that after an old Tivo died that my MAK my new tivo wasn't the same as my old tivo...and no calling tivo didn't help retrieve it. I have a bunch of old shows that I never converted to a decryted file format. I've found an old computer with tivo desktop installed that has the old MAK key...old tivo files play on that computer...vista home premium. Obviously, I would love to pull the mak key so i can decrypt the files on a modern computer, etc. I've heard I can use TDCM to pull the mak key from the registry but after installing TDCM I can't see an option to obtain the MAK. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\straylightlabs\tivolibre

That's the link in regedit that will take you to the MAK. Or you can just search your registry for MAK.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Super simple process of installing Windows Virtual Machine, imaging the old Windows hard drive to a .vhd file. creating a 'new' Virtual Machine and using the .vhd file to boot from...

-KP

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Or you can cheat like Joe says, but how's that fun?

-KP

5. Bridget

Bridget New Member

Oct 17, 2008

Advertisements

Hmm. I don't have that link in my registry and searching for MAK yields unhelpful results

6. Bridget

Bridget New Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Ah. For anyone interested, use the most recent version of TDCM. Worked easily
    Thanks for everyone's help!

ggieseke and kpeters59 like this.
  7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That location only works if you have TiVoLibre installed (or perhaps something that uses TiVoLibre).

Scott

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think it was installed with pyTivo Desktop. It's part of Java. The problem with using Search is if you don't check the exact match box, you'll get a zillion answers.