Retrieve shows from old hard drive (now external) with Hydra

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gbenrus25, May 12, 2018.

1. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017

Advertisements

I recently upgraded the hard drive of my living room TiVo. Before doing that, I transferred a bunch of programs from living room TiVo to another TiVo and after upgrading the hard drive, I then transferred them back to the living room TiVo. All the transfers were doing online using TiVo Online.

I just noticed that a lot of the shows only transferred 10 minutes (even though it appeared they got transferred fine). I no longer have the shows on the other TiVo but I still have the old hard drive. Does anyone have any idea of how I can get the shows from my old hard drive to my living room TiVo? Or at the least, anyone know how I can watch the shows off the old hard drive (like TiVo accepting external drives etc). All the TiVos are TiVo bolts and have Hydra.

Thanks

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I don’t think you can, those shows are lost to the ages now.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Even if the old hard drive, with the shows still on them, is put back in its original TiVo box? (Does putting the original drive back in the original box automatically cause a wipe of the drive?)

4. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

no but it will not be usable until clear and delete to marry it to the motherboard

5. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs

Advertisements

Ahh, that’s cool I thought putting the old drive back in would trigger a wipe of it.

6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And so even though it's the original drive and was married to the motherboard originally, it still would need a clear and delete?

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

that's what clear and delete is it will be like a empty drive

8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I haven't heard which model TiVo yet (or which UI - gen3 or Hydra). I believe the Bolt has been the only model where there have been reports of the drive being reformatted when put back into the same/original TiVo. I don't think anyone has reported this on a Roamio but YMMV of course. You don't need to do a C&DE when you put a drive back into the same TiVo (not sure why that was even mentioned?).

If this is a Bolt then I would agree that you aren't going to have any luck recovering those shows. Earlier models it's more likely but protect yourself by copying the shows on the current drive to a PC or another TiVo to be safe.

Scott

9. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks everyone.

So just to be clear, there's no way I can use the original drive as an external drive with the esata port? I was looking at the models for the esata and it doesn't appear this is one of the models but hopeful.

Also, I did mention in the original post (around last sentence) that it's a bolt using Hydra. Are you sure the bolt automatically reformats even if it was the original drive?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Oops, sorry missed that. No, you can't attach it as an external drive and access the shows on it as that's not how the TiVo handles external drives. And based on the number of posts from users attempting to put the original drive back in a Bolt, I would say that it's a pretty safe bet that it will reformat it unfortunately. You can certainly try it but I'd still be concerned about then putting the new drive back in which is why I mentioned copying the shows off before attempting.

Scott

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    OP could always try migrating the original drive to another drive of 4TB or less using MFS Tools 3.2, then sticking that drive into the BOLT. (Of course, something would need to be done to preserve the shows currently on the BOLT.)

OR does MFS Tools 3.2 not support BOLTs?

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Ok, so that means all shows would be lost then, correct? That was my understanding—once you pull a drive out of a TiVo and then replace that drive with a new one, there’s no going back to the old drive with recordings preserved on it.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe, in olden tymes, you could have later put the original drive back into the same TiVo unit from which it was pulled and all recordings and settings would have been intact. @HerronScott is referencing more recent reports that doing this with a BOLT has resulted in the BOLT viewing the drive as new and reinitializing it, snuffing the recordings and settings in the process.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'll speculate that TiVo now tracks the fact that when it boots up, it finds a drive that wasn't there when it was last powered on. So it formats the drive. My guess.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  15. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Yeah, the new drive has a bunch of recordings on it so unfortunately, that won't work.

Regarding copying the shows from the old drive to a PC, would the files be in a TiVo format on the hard drive or do I need to use a software to get the files?

Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16. rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    How about mount the old drive and the new drive on a Linux computer (just mount them - not boot from them.) Then use regular Linux commands to copy only the recordings from the old to the new. Then return the new drive to the Tivo. It is still the last drive that the Tivo booted from,so maybe it wouldn't see the need to clear anything? I can imagine that the mix of files encrypted on two different Tivos could be a problem with that plan. I think there are people here who understand the encryption enough to answer that.

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, what you could do, as a last resort, is: copy the (non-copyright-protected) shows on the new drive in the TiVo box to your PC (using freeware pyTivo Desktop or kmttg), for safety; take the new drive out of the TiVo box and insert the old, hoping that the old drive isn't erased (and reporting back here of the result!); if the old drive isn't erased, transfer the old drive's recordings to your PC; and then put the new drive back in the TiVo box, transferring the old drive's content that you had saved to your PC back to the new drive. And if it turns out that the Bolt box is erasing the content on the drives when you put them back in the box, at least you can transfer the new drive's recordings back to it from your PC, using pyTivo Desktop. (But then, of course, your old drive's recordings will have been lost, without having done more. :( )

kpeters59 likes this.
  18. CaseyJ

CaseyJ Always read the plaque

Apr 26, 2017
    The OP is using Hydra. I don't think Pytivo or any other method works in copying back to a TiVo with Hydra from a pc. They can be streamed though using Plex.

19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Ah, then go back to Gen3 after transferring shows to the PC. If Hydra is preferred, transfer back to Hydra once shows have been transferring back. (Lordy, it's like gymnastics!)

CaseyJ likes this.
  20. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sorry can't do that. It doesn't use a standard Linux file system. While there has been a fair amount of reverse engineering which has allowed people to create the tools to copy and expand the MFS partitions, I don't think anyone has worked out copying individual shows (and decrypting?) out of the MFS with the drive mounted on a PC (even booting to Linux).

Scott

Wayne Skelton, rpj22 and krkaufman like this.