Retiring 10-250. Have 1 question.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by EJ, Jun 15, 2011.

1. EJ

EJ New Member

Nov 3, 1999
    Minot, ND
    Directv will be installing whole home service for my parents soon. They're replacing a 10-250 with a new DVR to add to a HR20-100 in their theater room. Setting them up for SWiM for the first time. First, is there anything specific I should make the installer do?

Second, they have shows on the tivo they want to save to a DVD recorder. After it's been deactivated, will I still be able to access shows in the list, or must I do it while still act0ive?

My mom's not too happy, losing the tiivo interface, but she'll get the hang of it. If not, I can always get her the new tivo when it comes out in 2015!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can continue to watch shows on the HR-10 after deactivation.

3. EJ

EJ New Member

Nov 3, 1999
    Minot, ND
    Thanks Steve!

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Note that this is not true for the non-Tivo DVRs. Those must have an active subscription and satellite connection to view their recordings.

5. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Incorrect, I've been watching recorded stuff off of an R-15 that was disconnected from satellite over 2 months ago. I did disconnect it before removing the unit from my account, and have powered it up and down several times since then.

I've read that if you remove it from your account while it's still receiving signal that it will be blocked, so best practice would be to remove it before you start swapping in new gear and making changes to your account.

6. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Perhaps it's different with the R15 SD DVR. But I know that the HD DVRs MUST have an active satellite connection and account subscription or they'll stop playing existing recordings after a couple days.

7. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    That's not my experience during a couple of temporary account suspensions (6 months each).

8. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Here's a recent thread pointing out that one does indeed lose access to existing recordings after service is disconnected for a few days ....
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=180144

And this matches my own experience with a couple of DVRs that I deactivated from my account. Even with an active satellite connection, those DVRs stopped playing existing recordings after a few days.

9. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    A number of people have reported that it happened to them. I accept that. It didn't happen to me.

10. EJ

EJ New Member

Nov 3, 1999
    Minot, ND
    All these recent responses have to do with non-tivo units, my 10-250 will playback recorde4d material after playback, correct"?

11. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes.

What with repair/refurbishing and my own units over the years I've had many dozens of HR10's temporarily off-service and they all play back fine.

Claims that DirecTivos have done this are so few that it is overwhelmingly likely some rare and random aberration or simply incorrect reporting.

12. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes. Tivos will do this. DirecTV DVRs will not (unless you're able to keep them powered forever).