Restoring from HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Luckydawg, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Luckydawg

Luckydawg New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Midwest US
    My Series 2 Tivo locked up playing a program and now reboots endlessly to the welcome screen. Tivo is sending me a new one, but I'd like to try to salvage the drives I have and restore my backup.

I have:
    hda - FAT32 6gb hard drive with tivo.bak in the root directory (435mb)
    hdc - 160gb Tivo Drive A (secondary master)
    hdd = 120gb Tivo Drive B (secondary slave)

When I boot to my MFSTools floppy and type

mount /dev/hda /mnt

I get: FAT: bogus logical sector size 55438
    VFS: Cant find a valid FAT filesystem on the dev 03:00
    mount: you must specify the filesytsem type

I can't even get to my restore command. So, how do I get the image off of my hard drive and restore it to my Tivo drives?

Thanks for any help. As you can tell, I know zip about Linux.

2. Luckydawg

Luckydawg New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Midwest US
    Ah. It's hda1, not hda. My instructions had a typo in them.
    :cool:

New problem: Tivo loads, Says "Just a few more minutes" or "installing an update" and then gives me the blue screen of death.

I have restored/re-imaged the drives both jointy and individually. And I've installed them both alone and one at a time.

My restore goes perfectly (onscreen anyway), but I cannot get past the BSOD whether single or doule drives.

And yes, it is a BSOD, not a GSOD.

Any ideas?

3. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    What boot CD and command did you use for the restore?
    How old is the backup?
    I would start by restoring to a single drive without expanding.

4. Luckydawg

Luckydawg New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Midwest US
    I did; I figured it was my primary drive (160gb), so I just did:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

mfsrestore -s -127 -r -4 -zxpi /mnt/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

umount -f -a -r

on my Tivo secondary drive (120gb) using whatever version of Mfstools that would have been out in Jan 06. It worked, but Tivo setup said I only had 41 hours. So, I got a new WD 320gb drive for $90 and ran the above command, and now it shows 155 hours. Shouldn't it be more than that??

I have a new unit for $149 coming from Tivo. I may just add this drive to it because drives are only lasting 14 months in my old unit. This is a new 80 hour two-tuner unit (mine is single tuner) and they are transferring my lifetime subscription. Figure the unit itself is worth $60, and $80 to have a new box is worth it to me.

I'm still wondering how many hours I should get from a 320 gb drive.

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    -r -4 Typo? I am assuming this was -r 4. FYI the -r 4 is not really needed for a 160G drive you will need that option for drives 250G or larger.

Yes for a 120G drive it should be a little more then 120 hrs. 41hrs is about what it should be without the -x expand option I wanted you to try first ;)

My guess 155 hours would be close to the size you would get with the non LBA48 boot CD. The older Linux was only able to access only the first 137G of any drive. Both versions of the boot CD's are/were available for download from DVRUpgrade and probably other places too.

Great deal getting your Life Time transferred and dual tuners for under $200.

I suggest you download and use the new MFSLive CD it has fixed several problems that were in MFSTools2. If you were not getting rid of the TiVo you should make a new backup after the TiVo updates the software to the latest version using the MFSLive CD.

Another suggestion is to go with the single 320G drive. A single drive generates Less heat and puts less stress on the TiVo's Power supply you can add a second drive later when it is needed. Put the new TiVo's original drive away as a backup in case it is needed if you have problems later.

6. Luckydawg

Luckydawg New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Midwest US
    Yep - Typo.

I figured as much. The floppy is much easier to boot to and I thought it had LBA48 support, but I later figured out that it likely didn't.

That's what I thought. For $149, upgrading the hardware was easy.

Will do.

This is what I plan on doing. I will yank the 80gb drive in the new unit and back it up immediately; I'll then restore that image to the new 320gb drive and be done with it. I'm not sure my dual drive mounting bracket will even work in the new unit.

Thanks for the advice.