reset directions please

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by rbedd, Sep 7, 2007.

1. rbedd

rbedd New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    I have never reset my RS-TX60 but since it won't load the downloaded schedule into the Tivo I guess this is the next step. Please someone tell me how to do this. I am prepared to lose all settings. Thanks,

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Have you tried rebooting the TiVo? How are you connected? phone line or ethernet? If ethernet, wired or wireless?

To reboot the TiVo, you can do two things.
    1. Hard reboot. Pull the power plug, unplug the USB ethernet adapter, wait 30 seconds, put the USB adapter back in, plug the TiVo into power. Now, try to connect to download guide data.

2. Soft reboot. Go to TiVo Central, select on Message & Settings, select Restart or Reset System, select Restart the Recorder. You'll be asked to press thumbs down 3 times and then press enter.

If you are connecting via a phone line: Do you have Voice over IP (VoIP), such as Vonage or Skype? or a regular phone line? If you have VoIP, I recommend you buy a USB ethernet adapter for your TiVo. Otherwise, you'll have to add some special prefix codes in your dialing string to slow the modem down to work with VoIP properly. I don't know these off the top of my head, as I never use them. You'll have to do a search to find them.

It is possible that the phone number that you have been using has been discontinued. Try using a different number.

Good luck,
    robomeister

3. rbedd

rbedd New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    I use a hard land regular phone line with no Voip or other potential interference. I know TIVO connects to the phone as I can see the phone line light up for the period of downloading. BUT the downloaded info doesn't show up in the schedule. I have contacted TIVO who told me cuz it is a Toshiba they can't help me and sugstd I go online to find out how to fix it - which I assume is the reset.

I did pull the power cord and wait but not 30 minutes. I will try that next.

If that doesn't work, I will do the reset as you instructed and hope! You will hear from me and I really appreciate your responding.

Any other ideas?

4. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    You don't have to wait 30 minutes, just 30 seconds. :) That gives time for most of the electronics in the TiVo to lose power and get reset. If you don't wait long enough, they could remain in their stuck state.

You may want to repeat Guided Setup. This will reset most of your settings and give you the opportunity to change the dial up number.

Have you tried using a different dial up number? It is possible that your TiVo is dialing, but not connecting. There was talk of TiVo discontinuing many dial up numbers, so your chosen number might now be disconnected. Has your dial in procedure changed? Do you just dial the 7 digits of the phone number, or do you need to dial 10 digits? Do you need to dial some number to disable call waiting or voice mail?

Do you have broadband internet access? If you do, you could get a wired or wireless USB adapter to connect your TiVo to the TiVo home base.

Good luck,
    robomeister

5. rbedd

rbedd New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Classic bad luck - my reset got hung up and it won't come off the "resetting - could take an hour". 10 hours later I called TIVO who said to unplug - I did - went back to the same place. I fear this is cooked. I may have to replace hard drive. Thoughts?