Research on TiVo: What percentage of TiVos are connected to a home network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dammad, Aug 13, 2008.

How is your TiVo connected?

1. Network (of some variety -- WiFi, PLC, Ethernet)

97.6%
  2. Modem

2.4%
  1. dammad

dammad New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I'm doing some investigation for my company considering using TiVo as a means of getting an application to home PVR users. One question that often comes up is:

what percentage of the TiVo user base are connected with a home network (rather than a modem)?

Home networks are approaching 50 million households in the US, so I've always assumed that most are on networks, but perhaps there are still a lot of modem users out there 'lurking'.

As anyone seen any numbers from TiVo on the home network penetration?

2. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    An additional question would be of those that connect via modem, how many are Series 1s?

3. Poochie

Poochie New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Could you try to get this information directly from tivo themselves? Might be a lot more accurate to do it that way - I'd imagine their servers would know stats on dialup vs access via the user's ISP.

You'll likely get some selection bias in your poll results (one way or the other - although I'd *guess* more toward the "home network" option) due to the fact that this poll will be seen by the folks browsing this forum, not the entire Tivo user base.

With that said, I voted anyway. Best of luck.

4. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Yeah I think it's best to see if TiVo could provide this info... I suspect this web site is a bit biased toward home network connectivity. :)

5. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    I agree with the other responders. This forum is probably biased toward home network connectivity...

However, high speed networks are relatively inexpensive and easily available outside of rural markets. Unless your product has a specific rural market, I think you can assume most people will have a high speed network with some of them being very high speed, fios for example.

I also agree that Tivo may be very forthcoming with this information. It may even be in their SEC filings.

Al

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    TiVo has thrown some of these numbers around in general terms in investor calls, most of which are probably transcribed online.

but yah - I have broadband and thus use this forum and thus my DVRs are on broadband. I would do a SWAG at 30 to 40% of networkable models - S2/S3 but that may actually be high

7. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    This poll will give you very little in REAL data, and will probably skew more toward the network side. The people using the modem are the group more likely to not come on this website.

8. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Sure, everyone else is right about the skewing of poll results and I think Zeo is right that this number has been mentioned in quarterly calls at least a couple of times (SeekingAlpha is a good place to find call transcripts).

...but c'mon, do I have to be the first person to ask/beg for a hint of what application this might be that you want to bring to us TiVo users? Inquiring minds and all that... :)

9. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Here's an interview with Tom Rogers, TiVo CEO, from December 2007.
    As of January 2008, TiVo had 1.73 million standalone subscribers, so that's something north of 43% and growing.

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    How is my Tivo connected to what?
    I can connect to the mother ship via modem, but have Tivos connected to a network for MRV and TTG/TTCB

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I am guessing the outside world, WRT the TiVo service and online content providers. My TiVos are connected to broadband, FWIW.

12. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    No doubt you can do it that way; the question is why would you?

13. wedenton

wedenton Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Some of us can't get/afford broadband.

14. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I had inferred "connected to a network" to mean that the network was connected to the outside world. I now see that that's not necessarily the case.

15. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    It says TiVos that "are connected with a home network (rather than a modem)". That naturally means connected to the "mothership", nobody uses a modem in their home network.

And wow this is a lopsided poll. :)

16. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Even within the TiVo community, I still would not have expected this result.

17. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I would, especially here, this forum is loaded with tech types who tend to be early adapters and love their toys.

In polls like this we are likely not a proper breakdown of the populace in general.

18. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    Yeah, this was probably a predictable result considering the likely composition of TCF users. If you're tech-savvy enough to find this website, you're probably tech-savvy enough to be heavily into a variety of Internet uses, most of which require broadband.

I share a house and keep a bunch of toys in my private space. There's a cabinet full of goodies in front of me, and everything except for the LCD panel and AVR have wired connections to the Internet (I've used wireless, but it's too slow and laggy for my tastes): HTPC, TiVo Series3, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, HD DVD player. Many newer television have Ethernet connections for various uses (network media playback, convenience web browsing)--if I had one, I'd connect it too :).

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    thank God :D

20. dammad

dammad New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the replies/thoughts. I agree the poll was biased given the online forum, but had not been able to find the TiVo conference call information despite digging around their quarterly..

PDHenry: Many thanks for digging that up. You are d'man. 43% is pretty good connectivity so will help my management.

Alas I can't tell you the app right now and the reason I didn't ask TiVo directly is because we are trying to decide 'if it is worth it'. I think at 43% is might be a good opportunity, so hope to be able to say more later.

Dammad