Rescuing recordings from a drive that won't boot my Tivo.

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by brichter, Aug 26, 2019.

1. brichter

brichter New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Hi, all.

Tried posting this in an MFSTools thread, and still looking for answers. Here goes:

I have a failed 2TB drive out of my Tivo Premiere, it lasted 6 years so I guess that was pretty good. I already cloned, expanded, and supersized a new 2TB drive from the original 320GB drive which only spent <1 hour in the Tivo before the 2TB upgrade to get the Tivo up and running, but the old drive contains many recordings I'd rather not lose.

I made a dd copy of the failed Tivo drive (dd [if=failed drive] [of=new drive] conv=sync,noerror), and this new drive won't boot, all lights except power are blinking. Not sure if the OS partition is hosed or some other issue. Is there a way to use the new mfstools to verify the recordings are still intact, and if so, copy just the OS partition to the drive I copied with dd? Or maybe copy the media to the new 2TB drive already up and running in the Tivo? Or is the better route to use ddrescue and pray to the Tivo gods for a miracle?

Thanks in advance for all the great info here!

2. brichter

brichter New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    I received one reply, and here is that quote and my response:

No bulging capacitors.
    2TB drive I removed from the Tivo won't boot the Tivo.
    2TB drive I cloned from the removed drive using dd will not boot the Tivo.
    New drive imaged from the original 320GB drive will boot the Tivo.
    Original 320GB drive will boot the Tivo.

Pretty sure given the above data points the issue is drive-related. As per my post, I used dd with conv=sync,noerror, which will replace the missing input data caused by errors on the source drive with NUL bytes on the destination drive. I used dd with these switches to ensure I preserved as much data as possible from the failed drive, since I knew the failed drive will only get worse as it continues to be read.