Rescue My Recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Steve-0, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

Feb 8, 2014

Advertisements

So, my Roamio OTA started randomly crashing about a month ago (probably with flashing lights, but I had them disabled at the time). It was crashing multiple time a day.

I had installed a WD Green 3TB drive at least 5 years ago, so it was due for replacement anyway.

I ordered a WD Red 3TB drive and Sabrent dual bay dock / cloner.

While awaiting delivery, I installed what I think was the original 1TB drive that I removed when it was new. That drive triggered the first time setup (I guess because the Roamio had been updated to hydra since it's removal :(). Everything worked fine, including the cable card (with no configuration required).

I cloned the old 3TB Green to the new 3TB Red using the the cloning function of the dock. Let it run overnight and swapped in Red drive the following morning. I got a cable card info screen twice after installing, but I just dismissed it and all was well old recordings intact.

When I got home after work all the lights were flashing, I power cycled it and all was well again.

It's ran for a few days without issue, but after about 9 days it has crashed several times and the crashes seem to be increasing in frequency.

I had replace the wall wart with a 3.0 amp Bolt adapter about a year ago, and yesterday I swapped that with the identical one from my Mini (same age).

I've ordered a new wall wart, but I'm not optimistic. My suspicion is that whatever error(s) the old drive has were cloned onto the new drive.

Is there anyway to error check the new drive without losing my movie library?

Any way to transfer recordings without cloning?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There may be some errors or stuff and that got copied over as well to the new drive. You cannot transfer shows unless its properly running in the Tivo as it has to decrypt it from its drive.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could buy a another cheap tivo even one without service and activate it for a month. Transfer the shows over to the cheap tivo from the roamio ota. Then delete the partitions on the new drive and put it back in the roamio OTA and let it set up as new. Then transfer the shows from the cheap Tivo back to the Roamio.

4. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    You can run a Kickstart 54 to check the drive while in the TiVo.
    TiVo Kickstart Hard Drive Test Information and Instructions
    Or, pull it, put it in your PC or docking station and run Western Digital Extended Diagnostics. Either one of these will not effect your data, unless the drive is really bad. It does sound like power supply issues.

5. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

Feb 8, 2014

Advertisements

So, I've been unable to get Kickstart 54 to run successfully. I get to the point of the alternating green and amber lights, but then it goes back to solid green and continues booting normally.

I was able to start Kickstart 57 (which seems like it could actually fix things) but it ran for less than an hour and crashed.

I've pulled the new drive and replaced it with the original 1TB and it's been running problem free for about 24 hours.

I found something called "Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic". Is that what you're referring to? I'm going to run the tests on both the Red and the old Green drive. Is it capable of repairing anything?

6. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes, referring to "Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic". My 3TB drives took about 7 hours each running on "extended" mode. I believe it repairs bad sectors, you may want to research though.
    Sorry I can't help with Kickstart.

7. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    What is the model number of the Red? A lot has changed with Reds, some SMR some CMR, naming changes, Red, Red Plus...................

8. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Do you know if a "bad sector" can be propagated to a new drive during cloning? I'm scanning the Red drive now, it seems to have settled on an estimate of around 5 hours to complete. Hopefully it will find something, but I'm guessing it won't find or fix file system errors (which seems more likely to have occurred during the clone).

Wish I'd had more foresight and replace this drive a year ago. Lots of my favorite movies on the block. :(

9. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    This is the one you need - Western Digital 3TB WD Red Plus NAS Internal Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, CMR, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD30EFRX

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  10. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Sorry, personally I don't know

11. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    WD30EFAX-68JH4N0 Reading from the diagnostic, as the drive is in bay 2 of my dock and its label is obscured by the old Green drive in Bay 1.

12. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    They sold you the wrong drive, you ordered a CMR EFRX, looks like they sent you an SMR EFAX? 2-6TB EFAX no good for Tivo.

Many sellers at Amazon have no idea what they are selling. If they have a 3TB red they search for 3TB red. And list it. But there are different 3TB Reds. Now a 3TB Red is EFAX, SMR. The 3TB Red Plus is EFRX, CMR. But there are some EFRX that say Red, not Red Plus, manufactured before the naming changes at WD. Look at the label on your drive, if it says EFAX return it. Your diagnostic says EFAX?

13. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I just searched for 3TB Red. What's different?

14. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Everything, especially if using in a Tivo. I edited my last post (#12), check it out.

15. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Looking on Amazon again ... looks like the EFAX just has a bigger cache. Why is that bad?

16. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Yes, and I can see that part of the label. Will Amazon take it back without argument? They sent what I ordered and I've installed and used it.

17. Finalrinse

Finalrinse Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes, Amazon is very good, send it back, get WD30EFRX. The cache isn't the problem. SMR is the problem, TiVo needs CMR. For more explanation do a search TiVo SMR vs CMR.

tommage1 likes this.
  18. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I have a WD30EFRX in my cart.

Can you point me to an explanation of why the EFAX is bad. I believe what you're saying, and I've found one of your other posts. But I'm still curious why the larger cache is bad or if there's some other difference.

19. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Correct. The larger cache is BECAUSE it's SMR, SMR drives need a larger cache.

20. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    In the "older days" all WD Reds worked in Tivos. They were all CMR drives. So there are MANY blanket recommendations for WD Reds in Tivo Community. But that is no longer true. WD slipped SMR drives into the Red line without informing the public. And cost a lot of people a lot of time and a lot of money. There are lawsuits. Can find story on net. Bottom line, send back the EFAX, get EFRX if you want it to work in a Tivo. Or better yet a Purple, all the Purples are still CMR (for now, who knows what WD will do in the future.)

Purples have AV firmware. Reds have NAS firmware. Which is specialized for multi drive NAS setups. A Tivo is an AV device. While it will not take full advantage of the Purple AV firmware (since designed for camera surveillance systems) it's still better than NAS firmware for an AV device. IMO.