Rescue Me - Vows - OAD 8/31/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pjenkins, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1 of 32
    pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    wow, didn't see that coming... are they all dead? or just all but Tommy?

the wedding was pretty funny at times, the Gavin jokes were pretty dang funny if not completely offensive :)

given the previews for next week, things look pretty dim... i didn't see that ending coming at all - but should have given it's the last season - but i forgot it was the 2nd to last episode so should have figured something bad was going to happen before the finale!

2. Sep 1, 2011 #2 of 32
    jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Yeah I wonder if Tommy survives and goes back on a bender watching (or being close) when all his buddies die.

He was sent out of there (I assume to take the two kids they found) out. Wonder if he made it a few steps or far enough away from the blast.

I thought one of the best parts was Purple Sean's brother who was as big a drunk as the Gavins and would fit in fine with their family in many aspects.

And at the end when Shelia and Mickey (the 'priest') are making out in the hallway and Sean's mother catches them.

3. Sep 1, 2011 #3 of 32
    pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    that's what i figure happens, he rescues the kids (yet again the person pulling people out when his friends die) and has to re-live the entire 9/11 aftermath in his own unit's demise...

yes, so many good scenes from the wedding, was laughing the entire episode, which is what made the end powerful/more shocking to me.

4. Sep 3, 2011 #4 of 32
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I too had forgotten that the series finale was so close. This was a phenomenal episode all around, and it should be the one Callie Thorne submits for Emmy consideration, because the entire drunk toast sequence was hilarious. There's been so much to like about this season, particularly the latter half, and this episode encapsulated that perfectly. Snappy dialogue, more firehouse interaction than in recent seasons past, beautifully shot fire set pieces. A great episode all around, and I'll be sad to see it go.

5. Sep 4, 2011 #5 of 32
    Ekims

Ekims Don't care anymore

Oct 18, 2002
    Yeah, bout...
    If we are speculating on the finale, then I see it like you guys do and Tommy survives and starts drinking again and we probably see him seeing the dead crew as it fades to black.

6. Sep 4, 2011 #6 of 32
    pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    not sure they make him a drunk again, i see some redemption for Tommy in the finale, perhaps finally straightening his life out (assuming he's not dead, of course :))

7. Sep 4, 2011 #7 of 32
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    My vote is that he survives, they don't, and he doesn't start drinking again, thus lives sober with those memories as opposed to before when he tried to drink them away.

Not discounting a possible alternate of him surviving but in a disabled state ala Damien and being forced to watch those around him.

8. Sep 4, 2011 #8 of 32
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I predicted at the beginning of the season that Tommy dies in the last episode. Well, it could be in the next to last, or, it could be that he dies because he just can't overcome the survivors remorse and kills himself, but to me, that is the only way for the series to end, to put Tommy out of his misery. We'll see. Awesome episode. I knew the wedding would somehow gets screwed up. I didn't see it getting screwed up by drunk Sheila. That was awesome.

9. Sep 5, 2011 #9 of 32
    Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    As soon as it looked like they were trapped I realized that they probably had the finale decided from the beginning of the series. Leary's cousin and 5 other firefighters died in a warehouse fire that appears very similar to the one in this episode (although that one was set by homeless people looking for warmth instead of kids drinking). Watching it it seemed appropriate that everyone die in such a fire, and my guess is that everyone goes. And I don't think it's one of those things where Tommy survives or kills himself from grief. Ludicrous as this sounds, I think he's too committed to his family to actually kill himself, especially when his daughter would (theoretically) be grieving her new husband.

10. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    so you think Tommy dies? like his cousin did?

11. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Unfortunately, the blurb in TV Guide for the last episode gives away too much.

12. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Powerful episode - it reminded me just how great this show could be.

I knew something bad was coming the minute they said "big buildings, big problems". And then when they went up, instead of down (shadows of 9/11).

I think everyone in the building dies, including Tommy. I know Leary wanted to end the show at the 10 year anniversary of 9/11. It think it would be a fitting tribute to show just what firefighters risk every single day on the job.

13. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I tend to think so, or perhaps hope so.

14. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    the blurb was this

Episode Synopsis: Series finale: The guys at 62 Truck struggle to pick up the pieces and move on following a major fire. At the Fire Academy, meanwhile, a new batch of probies hear a familiar speech from a new leader

ok, so my take...

new leader means not Tommy i guess? in the first episode he gave a speech to the probies so it won't be him, which points to him dying... Maybe Franco is the new leader? wasn't he in the fire with them though?

unless Tommy is the "new leader" in the sense that he's the new LT or chief and not fighting fires anymore?

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    When I read that, I thought it was Tommy Gavin and I have not changed my mind. A mature, experienced firefighter committed to his men. Yes, Tommy has that in him.

16. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I was talking about the blurb on the Highlights page of TV Guide for Wednesday. It gives away much more.

17. pjenkins

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    is that an in-print only thing? mind spoilerizing it for me (or PM is fine, either way, i don't mind being spoilered :))

18. kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I haven't been a fan of this season until last night. I knew some type of cliffhanger was going to happen when they showed the building on fire. I never imagined it being that intense, though. The look of terror on the guys when realizing they were trapped was so sad. I'm guessing the whole crew dies. I would have a tough time believing Tommy would've made it past those propane tanks before the explosion.

19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Don't have it in front of me at the moment, but essentially it says:

Tommy and the guys deal with the results of last week's fire

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The one thing that occurred to me watching this and why I think Tommy dies, is that Tommy has always had a soft spot for saving kids. He's done it many times throughout the series and often at a huge risk to his own life. Add in the tragedy he's had with his own kids, and his cousin's son, and I think it's apropos that it would end for him saving a kid.