Rescue Me "High" 08/22/07

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jeff125va, Aug 23, 2007.

1. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    TPS Reports! Somehow that never gets old.

Knew the mother-daughter thing was coming, but I thought she'd be REALLY old and decrepit. But I guess that wouldn't really pose as interesting a dilemma.

I guess Sean feels left out of the group of alcoholics? What did it take, a shot and 1-1/2 beers for him to pass out?

2. analog4

analog4 New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    I liked when Richie walked into the firehouse, and the scene that was.

The ending scene on the building even freaked me out - I couldn't even look down.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't get the whole afraid-of-heights thing. Once you're 5 or so stories up, you're going to die if you fall. At that point, what difference does it make if it's 5 stories or 500 stories?

4. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Amount of pain, perhaps? Whether you die instantaneously or linger on for a few minutes/hours?

I know I'd rather die from a 500-story fall than from a 5-story one.

Greg

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's all about risk.

If you put a 4x4 beam on the ground, most people will be able to walk across it with no hesitation or problem. Put the same beam across 2 buildings 200 feet above ground and those afraid of heights will falter and fall as they try to cross it.

Nobody said the fear was rational. That's why it's fear. :)

6. Chmeeee

Chmeeee New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Did anybody else catch the ridiculously obvious Jetta product placement? They get out of the fire truck, notice the Jetta, and start talking about how incredibly safe it is, after having crashed into another one in the previous episode. It was a bit over the top.

Also, love the TPS reports. :D

7. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I remember the conversation Tommy had about the car in the context of him being overprotective of his daughter and it maybe having been in his head to buy one for her, but don't recall the make/model.

Translated: it didn't seem like product placement all that much to me, and until you mentioned it here, had no idea that was the make/model... I apparently just automatically overlook such things subconsciously. :)

8. Chmeeee

Chmeeee New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Maybe it wasn't, but it was all VERY similar to their "Safe Happens" ads. The car color was even the same as the one in the ads (white).

9. MassD

MassD New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Leominster, Ma
    Of COURSE that was a product placement.. and as subtle as a brick to boot. Producers are just getting better at incorporating them into their shows (remember some of those horrid Smallville PP's?).

10. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I didn't even know what type of car it was. White sedan. Not too effective as a commercial...

11. Joeg180

Joeg180 Burning Daylight

Jun 1, 2003
    Niskayuna
    TPS reports?

At first I said it was a man that Mike was eyeing, then when you heard mother daughter action, I knew it would her Mom.

12. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    That scene with Tommy and his daughter was just painfull to watch. Totally stupid....

13. fireman9302

fireman9302 Nobody listens to me

Jul 1, 2004
    Nowhere...
    Did anybody notice that the two Bobs worked there also!!!!

14. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    You need to see "Office Space." Or maybe it's just a bit obscure if you've seen it but aren't an avid fan.

I just wonder if she just totally assumed that he assumed that she was the daughter.

15. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If I were to pull the mom/daughter combo,
    (that would require having a daughter, but let's not get the facts in the way of a good fora posting)
    I personally would send my daughter out as bait.. ;-)

16. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Hmmm.... not sure I agree that's the best strategy. If the hot 40-something mom like the one in this episode is the bait, it's a pretty safe bet on the daughter being a hottie too (assuming she isn't the daughter herself). If the 20-something daughter is the bait, you really have no idea about the mom regardless of how hot the daughter is.

I mean that entirely in general of course. Just saying a guy like Mike's age might not want to take his chances with a woman he probably perceives as being "old" in the first place.

17. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Mike'll do anything or anyone in any combination. Hasn't that already been established pretty well?

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Apparently she didn't get the memo ... I didn't see a proper cover sheet. :D

Did Tommy and Kenny do any work in the scene where they were just walking through the building talking about the waitress? Or was Kenny just shopping for furniture? ;)

19. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The scene with tommy and kenny was really terrific. It may be that they did cut a few times during crossovers with posts or flashlight shines, but it seemed like one, non-stop, single shot, ala Children of Men or Touch of Evil. I really appreciated that.

20. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Is anyone at FDNY complaining about the portrayal of firefighters in this show? It seems that while the first 3 seasons generally portrayed them well/fairly (though maybe towards the end of season 3 things changed), albeit with personal issues at times, this season is just ragging on them whenever it can. Now with this episode they're all thieves.

Did FDNY stop cooperating with the show and this treatment is now payback? :)