Rescue Me - Ashes (Series Finale) - OAD 9/7/2011 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Sparty99, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1 of 31
    Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Wow. Words cannot describe how much I loathed that ending. It was awful. I literally watched the entire episode thinking, "This is a joke, right? At some point someone's going to wake up and we're going to realize that we're back where the episode started, right?"

Let's be clear, I was someone who liked the finales of Battlestar Gallactica and Seinfeld. I'm very forgiving. But this ending was just so wrong with how the rest of the show was. This entire episode was comedic fodder, which we got plenty of in the wedding episode. This was just a copout.

To me, the story ended with Lieu's (Lou's?) speech over the five dead men at the beginning of the episode. That's how it should be.

2. Sep 7, 2011 #2 of 31
    Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I was confused at first at the beginning but then realized it was the usual Tommy dream/hallucination. Yeah this wasn't the best finale..

3. Sep 7, 2011 #3 of 31
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I liked it

4. Sep 7, 2011 #4 of 31
    DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Well, put me well in the other camp. I don't think I've liked a finale so much since TNG's "All Good Things...". To me, it struck a perfect balance between comedy and drama, which pretty well describes the show at its best starting with the premiere. Very happy with this last episode.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #5 of 31
    jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    +3

My wife didn't like that Lou was killed off but I thought it was pretty good. Save for Franko being a boss.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #6 of 31
    nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I thought it was perfect.

I cried.

I laughed.

I cried.

I laughed.

And then I cried again.

I am a mess. :eek:

Perfect. :up:

7. Sep 7, 2011 #7 of 31
    VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    For those who didn't like it, what did you expect? Tommy dies? They all die? No one dies? I thought it followed the "norm" very well, a mix of comedy and drama.

8. Sep 8, 2011 #8 of 31
    Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    What did I expect? I don't know, although I'll admit that with the setup from last week's episode and Leary's own life experiences with his cousin dying in the abandoned warehouse, I suppose I'll say that they should have died. It's natural. It's how those things happen in real life (I realize it's not real life). This crew should have died in that fire instead of having some cheap throwaway line about how they rode the stairway down. Tony Soprano should have died instead of having the showrunner smugly telling the fans to figure it out for themselves. Walter White probably should die or get thrown in prison when Breaking Bad ends, but I have no doubt he'll live on with few repercussions for his actions.

And I'll admit I laughed my ass off in this episode, but selfishly speaking that's not what I wanted. I kind if wanted these guys to be brothers forever, going down together after all they'd been thru, and instead we get Franco as the boss and Tommy where he always is and everyone else just moving on. It's just so unsatisfying to me.

9. Sep 8, 2011 #9 of 31
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have to agree with Sparty here. Based on last week's setup, this was immensely disappointing. It was probably as funny an episode as there had been in a while, but here's the thing: I didn't want to laugh at this (the scene with Lou's ashes was amazing and a defining moment of the series, though). It didn't feel anywhere near retrospective enough, nor did they adequately address Janet's lame retirement reversal nonsense. It was antithetical to everything we witnessed this season. And the labor sequence made Anna Faris' delivery in Friends seem like a gripping medical drama.

The ending was telegraphed a mile away, unfortunately, and I didn't want to see a show I've loved and grown up with go out on such a formulaic note. I'm not necessarily saying there had to be more than one death to deliver a better sense of closure, I'm just saying that I expected Leary and Tolan to draw on all they've learned in the past seven years and realize that this couldn't be acceptable. I'm still very, very sorry to see it leave, but I expected so much more.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm with the others, a very disappointing ending considering it really looked like they had gotten a second wind for this last season only to have it go out with a whimper. Ashes hit all the right notes, but had none of the intensity the rest of the season did.

Honestly, after how great Vows was, I expected better, in fact a slightly lengthened cut of Vows might have been a better finale, they hit it out of the park with that episode.

11. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I guess the bottom line is no matter how it ended there would have been people who didn't like it. Some of you "wanted better" but don't know what ending would have made you satisfied. We could list 10 different ways it could have ended and for each one some would like it and some wouldn't.

12. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    overall it was an ok finale, certainly formula as someone else has said, and it didn't need the extra time. my hits/misses..

didn't like the way that only Lou died, given the nature of their situation and the massive explosion.

didn't like the labor/delivery scene.

really didn't like that Franco lived and was a boss now. guy was such a ******.

liked the playground scene - vintage Tommy

liked the speech Tommy gave to the Probies, completing the circle from Ep1 Season1

loved the Lou ashes scene in the truck and the aftermath - laughed a bunch at that one.

glad to see everyone (including Tommy) accept his life calling about being a firefighter and growing out of the dispair that was 9/11 and his alcoholism. i left with the impression that, for all his warts and past, the future was going to be a different life for the Gavins in key areas, and yet the same in most.

13. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Agree about the labor scene. Bad bad bad. Playground scene was great. And agreed, it was nice to tie into the first episode with Tommy addressing the new probies. And I thought it was fitting that Lou replaced Jimmy in Tommy's "visions".

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Loved the playground scene. I am glad they depicted Tommy as staying a firefighter and becoming a leader.

15. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    That's the beauty of opinions though...

I thought it was just OK. I came into this season expecting to not like it (since I hated last season) but was into it again after the first episode. Funny, biting, suspenseful, dramatic, etc... plus they actually had some evolution of characters like Tommy and Sheila instead of the same old crap.

And obviously the finale had this stuff in it but that's the thing--for me, a series finale has to exceed the show itself. I don't understand the camp who think a series finale of a show should be exactly like every other episode. ... It would be like a movie building and building and then ending with no third act.

I get that they book-ended it by having Tommy give the speech to a new group of recruits but to me, that wasn't that inspiring. I imagine he's given the speech to new recruits every year between then and now. The only difference was this time he passed the torch to Franco. And that final scene for me was sort of tarnished by Franco's speech. Daniel Sunjata's done some good work over the years but he was horrendous through that entire scene. Instead of coming across as a no-nonsense "tough as nails" leiutenant, he looked like an idiot with a grossly exaggerated, almost out of nowhere New York accent that sounded ridiculous. I don't know what it was but his entire riff pulled me out of what should have been a good scene. Actually his acting in the entire episode was horrible.

Was the vision of Lieu an indication that Tommy was hitting the bottle again? If so, I thought that was a cool little nod... like they're not showing him drinking but the fact that he's seeing a ghost pretty much spells it out.

For me, as far as the "deaths" go, it's not that I went into this season wanting a **** load of people to die, but I do think they copped out a little bit by showing us the guys completely trapped in a burning warehouse packed to the gills with explosive materials, then a *massive* explosion, but only one guy dies while the five others in there "ride the staircase" down in some kind of unbelievable miracle? It just felt too cliched for me.

The show has tried to highlight realism when it comes to the fire stuff so that was just a weird decision. I guess they had to do something that could kill Kenny and leave everyone else with their own battle scars, but to me the way they set that fire/explosion up wasn't something that would only kill one guy. But whatevs, it's not that serious...

I was surprised that the episode had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11, other than the mention of it at the end. It's been such a big part of the series from the start, and was mentioned through out the season, that I thought whatever story they chose for the last episode would be heavily rooted in that theme, especially since they chose this particular week as the series' end date.

16. Mabes

Mabes Ex-Smoker

Jan 12, 2001
    Warwick RI
    I really liked it except for one thing - the scene right after the first break with Tommy sitting at the table at the station. It's one thing to make us think that everyone died but Lou in the opening scene, but I was never sure that it wasn't a dream sequence, thought it might have been. But then they make us think that everyone but Tommy died.

But it's a minor quibble. I loved everything else.

Although....it would have been one of the most stunning series finales ever if they all died. As stunning as Henry dying on MASH. But then what would they do for the rest of the show? Have a wake scene with flashbacks to their lives?

17. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    same here. All of the above!

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm in the liked it camp. Definitely not perfect, I'd give it an 8 out of 10, but they hit the essence of the series for the most part. Some minor quibbles:

I hated Janet doing a 180 on Tommy going back to being a firefighter. It would have been ok for her to do it, but she turned around so quickly that it just didn't make sense. I think the park scene was supposed to represent that Tommy couldn't live in the "real world", but Janet really wasn't involved in the scene.

Franco being LT. I guess that's ok, but it just didn't like the way they did it. Tommy doesn't seem like the type that could take orders from a tool like Franco.

I think one scene was needed, perhaps done like Return of the Jedi, where all the dead friends and family in Tommy's life make another appearance. It could have happened in his opening dream sequence (and actually, might have been cool, since Lieu was actually dead, they could have been at the funeral for the fallen five)

On the other hand:

I liked the scene where Tommy is sitting at Lieu's desk and gets tempted by the bottle, saw what kind of destruction he would have caused by taking the drink and didn't. And I think at the scene at the end, Tommy was sober. My son asked the same question about Tommy drinking there.

I liked how they made us wait to see if the other crew was dead before letting on it was just lieu.

When the baby was born, I was already guessing that the baby would be either Lieu or Ken....but Shea was really perfect. Good call.

Best scene was the expression on Mikie's an Sean's face when Tommy read the letter and in it Lieu called them "one dumber than the other" and you could TELL they were trying to figure out which was the dumber one :)

For the record, I liked the Soprano's last episode (outside of the very end), I have grown to like Seinfeld's finale over the years, and I didn't like the finale of MASH all that much, as I felt it was WAY too sentimental (but by then I had lost a lot of interest in the show since I was not a fan of Charles and they so screwed up the timeline, that I felt they were just mailing it in by that point). I thought this was somewhere on the high end of finales.

19. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Well, anything beats the last episode of Ally McBeal. This got the job done.

Leaving some characters unresolved seemed appropriate since some things in life are never properly concluded.

20. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I liked it, a fitting end to a really good show. And frankly, if it weren't for the suggestions in this forum's thread re the earlier episode, that everyone probably died, I would not have been surprised at all that most of the firefighters survived the explosion. Things happen, and the one really fat guy with a bad ticker didn't make it. Makes sense to me.

I also really liked the BMW ads that gave little vignettes for many of the characters. Though I couldn't figure out who one of them was, Needles? or something?

It'll be fun to rewatch the series in a couple years.