Rescan causes guide problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mhjohnson, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Dec 9, 2018 #1 of 26
    mhjohnson

mhjohnson New Member

Dec 9, 2018

Advertisements

For the last week one of my local stations announced a change in frequency assignments that required a rescan of available channels. The guide is still mapped to the old frequencies and the new frequencies all appear as "To be announced". For example channel 20-1 changed frequencies and I can view the new the video on the new frequency but the guide is still assigned to the old one.

I probably spent about 1/2 hour talking to a Tivo customer service person rattling off the old and new frequency assignments by channel (five that I cared about - I ignored the spanish ones). I've also missed a few recordings because the guide is still obsolete. Is there some way to fix this ahead of time (and what data do I need) or am I stuck with a week of a broken guide?

2. Dec 9, 2018 #2 of 26
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    If you search on the forum here you should find a link to post these channel change requests, eg mapping 20.1 to 10.1.

3. Dec 9, 2018 #3 of 26
    mhjohnson

mhjohnson New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    That’s not the problem. As an example, the channel before and after was 20-1. The frequency changed (per the signal strength part of the Roamio) and none of the announcements from the local stations said that information.

4. Dec 9, 2018 #4 of 26
    unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    What stations are we talking about? (call sign)

Best thing is to not go through customer no service and instead fill out a lineup change

tivo.com/lineup

Just put in the comments the station call sign and what channel they were on and what they went to. So something like this example
    "On December 8th (station call sign) moved from RF24 to RF15" The following stations are now on RF15
    69-1 (what it shows EXACTLY in the channel guide on the Tiv...so WFZZHD as example)
    69-2 WFZZDT2
    69-3 WFZZDT3"

Untitled2.jpg

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. Dec 9, 2018 #5 of 26
    mhjohnson

mhjohnson New Member

Dec 9, 2018

Advertisements

I can did that with my call to customer support, but I want to know what I can do ahead of time so I don’t have to wait a week for them to fix it after it was changed.

6. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    We just had the same thing happen. At one point we had two 9-1, -2, -3, -4's and the only fix was doing the guided setup from the channel scan window all over again.

7. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You have to wait, TiVo doesn't fox this these thing on the spot. Some folks do get their stuff fixed fast and others wait a long time.

8. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    You'll have better luck submitting the issue on the website than calling customer support.

Report a Lineup Issue

Fill it in as unclehonkey indicated above and include an explanation in the comments. Unless they need more information, you likely won't receive more than an automated email in response. Call letters and city are the most important information.

I've only needed to report an issue a handful of times in the past 2 years. They only needed more info once. Issues were resolved within a couple of days.

Good luck.

9. mhjohnson

mhjohnson New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    A status update (two days later):
    Four of the channels are "fixed" by removing the "new" channels and fixing the frequencies of the old channels. I had to re-add the old channels to get them to appear again.
    Two of the channels still have "old" (with the guide) and "new" (without the guide) so I can't record anything from them unless I do a start & end time. I went ahead and added the old channels in case they do the same fix as they did for the first four.
    The last one I reported is called "Stadium" (50.3 in Denver) and doesn't have a guide (yet).

10. mhjohnson

mhjohnson New Member

Dec 9, 2018
    By the way, my last question hasn't been answered - let me repeat it:
    Is there some way to fix this ahead of time (and what data do I need) or am I stuck with a week of a broken guide?

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i'm only guessing, but i would imagine tivo isn't supposed to make any guide updates until the station notifies them the changes have already taken place (theoretically), as anything can happen, such as delays or technical glitches - the tivo updates can happen in as little as 2-3 days, best case scenario.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Unless you are 10000% certain a station is moving on a specific date so that a few days earlier you can submit your tivo lineup change the answer would be no

Mikeguy and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  13. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    NO

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  14. lman

lman Member

Nov 14, 2006
    I had the same problem and I reported this to Tivo several times. The guide was finally fixed after two months.

15. davefred99

davefred99 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Lassen...
    I can tell you from my perspective TIVO is horrible about channel updates. If you live in a big city perhaps where the have lots of OTA customers it will get done in a reasonable time frame. If Like me you live in a Rural Low population area it may never happen. Where I live we are served by a local non profit low power repeater group. I submitted channel remap information 6 weeks ago and the only response I get is it takes time and they will notify me when they get to it.
    Yet I have a Tablo as a back up and they have all the proper channel guide data the very next day. TIVO used to be a great product but not anymore. If they can not even keep up with guide data so I can record my favorite OTA shows what good are they.
    I think its a numbers game and if you are living in a big city you may get better service but us rural folks who really rely on our OTA TV there are not enough TIVO customers to help there bottom line so we get no help.

16. spittoon

spittoon New Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Raleigh...
    Raleigh just had all OTAchannels shift last night, except for channel 11 ABC, for some reason

17. 53richart

53richart Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Acworth, GA
    Thanks for mentioning this. After the repack in Atlanta, I reported the stations that had changed and it was fixed within 2 days.

18. krick

krick Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Almost all of the channels in Raleigh changed frequencies due to the FCC repack phase 5...
    RabbitEars.Info

11 ABC is moving in phase 9...
    RabbitEars.Info

I can't believe that TiVo wasn't prepared for this ahead of time. Talk about dropping the ball.

wizzle likes this.
  19. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    They are. Changes are made from the repack within days of channels moving. Not even the channel knows for sure when the move will be made, I can tell you WEDU made changes weeks after they were supposed to. So TIVO can only react when the move actually happens and it just isn't going to be instant. We have had the new channels added before hand here in Tampa and in fact have some right now waiting for the move to be made or new sub channels to added. But in each case it does take a couple of days maybe more to make the change.

53richart likes this.
  20. wizzle

wizzle HD Happiness

Jul 9, 2007
    Raleigh/Durh...
    So hopefully a question not asked in regards to this...

I'm not thrilled but can deal with a few days until the lineup reflects. My question is, will the channel change in the lineup from their end require me to go through changing the guide again?

Or will the 'old' channels on the slightly different frequencies just go away and the 'new' ones have program info at that point?

One observation I made was/is the 'new' channels that DO NOT yet have program info (hence not in the channel lineup for my zip code) have an asterisk next to them in the channel lineup menu.