1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Requirements for Premiere to Premiere streaming.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by MPSAN, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Hello ALL:
    I have a question about streaming. Of course we all know a neighbor can not stream from your TIVO, but we are downsizing to an apartment. I am not sure what prevents the streaming.

We will have Cable Cards. One Premiere is in the Living Room and the other in the Bedroom. OK, no problem as that is what we had before. The difference is this. We ran network cables and they were linked via switches to our router. However, where they are now going to be, it would take a network cable from the router in the Living Room to the bedroom which would be an ugly run across the wall, etc! Will it work if Comcast installs a 2nd router? I do not want to pay for this but do not know how this would all work.

Thank you for your help.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Networking better than Wifi (though a good wifi connection will work). All Tivo devices involved MUST be on the same Tivo.com account with sharing/transfers enabled under DVR Preferences.
    All involved Tivo devices must connect to Tivo Service to update their permissions.
    Hence, they should have the same Media Access Key (MAK).

The same should apply to Transfers/copying. Copy-protected shows will not transfer, but they can stream.

It also will not work if they are on different routers.

3. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OK, well they are all working now and are on a wired network. I was afraid that it would not work if was on a second router. I COULD try WiFi, but I guess I would need to set my Linksys WRT54GS as an access point as the Premiere does not have built in WiFi.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The only adapters available is the Wireless G USB adapter, and the Wireless N adapter which connects to the ethernet port.

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OH...but can I configure the Linksys Router as a wireless access point? Not sure how much the wireless adapters cost but do they need to be TIVO adapters?

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    For the USB one, yes.

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I guess I prefer not to use USB. Since I have 2 Premieres should I even consider MOCA? I think that the bridge, etc is not needed with the TIVO. I may just run a network cable from the router and hide it the best I can.

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Premiere 4 (4 tuners) has built-in MoCa.
    You would just need a MoCa adapter at the router (Lan port and to the coax before the modem, POE).

9. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I may just see how hard it will be to run the network cable. I should be able to look in the new place tomorrow. MOCA would not help the TV network connection.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This is a simple solution: tivo wireless g usb network adapter | eBay

Since your router only supports 802.11G, there's no advantage to getting something faster.

11. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Joe, since we have the wireless dongle for the remote, will this usb adapter be able to fit in a Premiere USB slot? I do believe there are 2 of them correct? Then would streaming between the 2 Premieres be fast enough with a USB Dongle?

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I only have one Premiere and my wireless G adapter is in an unknown location so I can't try it. Streaming usually never exceeds 20Mbps which is well within the adapter's and USB ability. BTW, I didn't suggest other, more expensive options that I have tested. With any wireless solution, you will never know how well it works until you try it. I would just buy one of the used cheap adapters. I did, but it was a while back.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given what you’ve described, you should be looking at MoCA.

How many tuners do you have in each of your Premieres? (As a means of determining each DVR’s built-in support for MoCA.)

Worst case, you could buy two WCB3000N MoCA adapters for sub-$30 total (w Comcast installing a “PoE” MoCA filter free-of-charge) to establish a coax/MoCA connection for the Bedroom DVR. And it gets cheaper/easier if either or both Premieres are 4-tuner models with built-in MoCA support.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    jcondon likes this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The router is in the Living Room where one Premiere will be located, so the OP would need 0, 1 or up to 2 MoCA adapters depending on how many of the Premieres have built-in MoCA.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  16. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    These are BOTH 4 tuner Premieres. Not sure what I would need and if Comcast would even know what to do. Would this be better than the USB Dongle solution?

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Immensely better, once working.

With both DVRs supporting MoCA, once your coax plant is MoCA-ready*, you’d connect the Premiere in the Living Room to your coax plant and via Ethernet to your router, and then configure it as a MoCA bridge (previously, “use this DVR to create a MoCA network”). The Bedroom Premiere would just be connected via coax and then configured as a MoCA client (previously “connect using MoCA”). Boom, done.

* As for getting your coax plant MoCA-ready, you could call Comcast and tell them that your residence effectively needs to be setup to support the X1 whole home solution (which also uses MoCA), or just that your residence needs to be isolated using a “whole home filter” (aka “PoE MoCA filter”). You would also want to review how the coax runs to your rooms interconnect, to ensure the connecting components are MoCA-compatible** — though the Comcast tech should also do this, at least for the component(s) at the central junction. Apartments can be prohibitive for DIY since the central junctions are locked-up and inaccessible, but a Comcast tech should be able to get your apartment isolated no problem, and for no charge.

** Normal cable splitters rated for 1 GHz can typically support MoCA, but you may want/need to upgrade to known-good MOCA-compatible splitters (e.g.) if MoCA isn’t performing as expected. Amplifiers can also be problematic, but they’re typically only found in the central junction, and the Comcast tech should be aware of and handle that as part of the isolation.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  18. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, we have a lot to consider! I am still going to see how bad it would be for me to just run a Network Cable.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It'll be tough for it to be easier than getting MoCA working (in your case), assuming the Comcast tech does his/her job properly.

20. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Well, I will see if Comcast even knows what I am talking about! This is an apartment with 250 other units!