Requesting advice on Tivo to get & other strange questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jillblevins, Sep 11, 2011.

1. jillblevins

jillblevins New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Trying to make this as short as possible....we now have 2 tivo boxes hooked up with our cable. One early one, and one of the new premieres (just purchased a few months ago), both have lifetime service.

Monkey wrench in the works. We are now moving to an area which does not have cable service and we will wind up with satellite service. I understand that neither of my boxes can be used. (crying---I LOVE my tivos).

I have read about the new DirectTV/Tivo box which does make me happy but I don't know quite what to do. Since both of my boxes have lifetime service I know I can transfer that. Don't know yet if we got one of the DirectTV ones if we could transfer one of the lifetime subscriptions to a new box or not. (Don't think so cause we couldn't with the new one we bought)

If we get a DirectTV/Tivo box is there advice on which is the best? I hate the thought of giving up my Tivo.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    As the new DirecTV-TiVo box has yet to be officially launched, and there will be only one as far as anyone knows, it is not possible to say "which is the best".

The Premiere definitely cannot be used with satellite, most Series 2 standard-def models can, but you'll give up the ability to record two channels at once that you would get with a new integrated box.

What specifically is it that you love about the TiVos? You may find that the current models of DirecTV DVRs provide what you want, or you can wait for the new TiVo box which might be disappointing.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Pretty sure you will not be able to transfer your current Tivo lifetime service to the new DirecTV/Tivo.

4. jillblevins

jillblevins New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Guess I got confused by stuff I was reading. I grabbed a couple of screen shots

hmmmmm since I'm new it won't let me put the screen shots in. well if'n you're interested you can find them on flickr (just search people for jill21811) They will be the first 2 on my photostream. Not really necessary though, just trying to indicate that I did at least have a reason for the question <Grin>

5. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    If your move is a permanent thing and you do not think your Lifetime TiVo's are ever going to be of any use to you again they seem to hold value semi well. You might fetch a break even price on ebay or at least come close.
    Dish DVR's also seem to get very good reviews. DTV Tivo's have been long waited, long rumored and may be right around the corner. Might not too.
    Good luck with your move!

6. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Looking at Image 7 and Image 8, the first 2 in your photostream. Image 7 is dated September 2008, niether image seem relavant to your posting here.