Request help with Premier issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BTDFXD, Mar 6, 2020.

1. BTDFXD

BTDFXD Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I have 2 PLS Premiers that we’re used in a vacation home. The home was damaged by a hurricane so I brought the boxes home-the boxes weren’t damaged by the storm. The boxes were not used for about 2 years. I just reconnected the boxes using OTA antenna and am having problems. I have antenna and in to antenna and coax from TiVo cable port to coax on tv. Neither box will connect with the tv. One box has all lights stuck on-not flashing. The other just has a green light on. I have tried all the input options and can’t seem to get the TiVo home screen on the tv. Appreciate any suggestions

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The coax is not to the Tv. There would be 2 inputs, antenna and cable. The output is Hdmi.

3. BTDFXD

BTDFXD Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Not sure I understand but I did try hdmi also with no luck. The setup I tried was ota antenna in to antenna port on TiVo and then coax from cable port on TiVo to coax in on tv. OTA signal would flow through TiVo to tv but can’t get TiVo screen on tv. Also TiVo box with all lights stuck on seems very unusual...

4. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    As ThAbtO pointed out, the port labeled "Cable" is NOT an output, but rather it is an input. Note that both the "Antenna" and the "Cable" ports are inside a single white boundary line labelled "In". As such, you won't get a signal out of the "Cable" port.

One likelihood after two years without use is that the coin cell batteries on the motherboards are dead. Their main function is to power the real-time clock, so I don't know if that would prevent the units from booting, but it's something you can fairly easily replace to see if it makes a difference. Those batteries are 2032 style coin cells.

5. BTDFXD

BTDFXD Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Great suggestion with the batteries, will definitely replace. Thanks for that suggestion! Any thoughts on why I couldn’t get menu screens when I had hdmi hooked up?

6. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    It seems that your units did not boot. As I said, I don't know if a dead battery is enough to do that. Since the Premiere boots from the hard drive, I would say that is the most likely culprit. If the house was damaged by a hurricane, is it possible that there was damage due to lightning, high humidity, salt, vibration during the trip to your house, etc? You might want to disconnect and reconnect that hard drive cable from the drive while you are replacing the battery. It's possible the connector has some corrosion and that action wipes the contacts.

One other note: The electrolytic capacitors in the power supply are odd in that they have a shorter life when discharged than when they are charged. This is because of a healing mechanism that exists when they are charged. As such, you might want to look for any signs of swelling on the ends of those capacitors.

The bottom line is that electronic devices have wearout mechanisms that are the result of operation, but they ALSO have wearout mechanisms that are simply the result of time. That is known as "calendar aging". In other words, electronics can and do fail simply because some amount of time has passed.

7. BTDFXD

BTDFXD Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Great information; I will do the things you suggest. Thanks so much!

8. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Unfortunately, based on the other recent Premiere discussions in this section, it seems that even if you get your Premiere to boot it will not be able to successfully update its firmware. The bottom line is that you will likely need to re-image the drives at the very least.

Thanks, TiVo!