Request a new 'Cable Provider'?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by missingwings, May 29, 2019.

1. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    When I initially set up my Roamio Pro, for the ‘Cable Provider’ selection, I simply picked the standard Spectrum residential choice for our zip and city (NNNNN, MyCity). We are in an HOA that is served by a bulk package via Spectrum Community Solutions, a separate branch of Spectrum Communications. I recently upgraded from the free HOA-supplied ‘Select’ package to the extra-cost ‘Silver’ package, but not all of the additional expected 98 channels are coming through (yes, I checked them off in the Channel List).

Some of the premium channels (HBO and Showtime) and some of the non-premium channels are working (a total of 38 of the 98 extra channels) – e.g. HBO 501 is, but 502 is not. But other channels from within the two groups are NOT working (the remaining 60 of the 98 extra channels) - i.e. error message: “There is a problem with the signal on this channel (V99).”

I am wondering if this is due to the fact that because our HOA is being serviced with a custom-configured, so-called BULK MASTER package, that the “NNNNN, MyCity” choice for ‘Cable Provider’ is not the correct choice for the channels being provided to us. And if so, do I need to ask TiVo to add our specific bulk master package to their list of providers for our zip code?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo does not control the channels you receive. That's done by your cable feed. TiVo controls the guide, and by extension the frequency used when displaying a channel. I would get a second opinion by checking the online guide providers. There are four I use: zap2it.com is most accurate. Next is titantv.com, which is a guide provider. Next is tvguide.com, fed by CBS Interactive. Last is tv.com, fed by TiVo and usually has the same problems as your Roamio.

The V99 indicates a dead channel. You have a lot of work ahead to get things right. The form to ask TiVo to make a change: Report a Lineup Issue

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Any chance that the change in package now requires a TA?

Scott

Teeps likes this.
  4. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

5. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Or a CableCARD release/repair?

6. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Q1. Any chance that the change in package now requires a TA? A1. According to the Spectrum Community Solutions tech, none of my channels are SDV.
    Q2. Or a CableCARD release/repair? The Spectrum tech didn't indicate any CC issues, but as a last resort, what is the process to do this - call Spectrum and request or ??
    Per JoeKustra's input, I found my HOA-specific channel package (i.e. Charter Spectrum Pajaro Dunes (95076)) on zap2it. I also found various references to linking my zap2it account with my tivo account (I assume this might help). However, I could not find any specific instructions on exactly how to do this linking (i.e. there don't seem to be any clickable options on zap2it.com that would enable linking it with tivo.com). Any help/ideas?

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There is no longer any direct or indirect ability to interface with zap2it (TMS/Gracenote). At one time our guide data was provided by Gracenote. Since tv.com does not have your provider, this will be harder. Please don't follow this road.

Is your cable card paired? Do you know how to check? As for the TA, you will need to call Spectrum. That would be the first thing to do since it's the easiest to correct. They are free.

Sorry, you can tell if your cable card is paired by going to Settings/Remote,CableCARD & Devices, CableCARD Decoder, CableCARD Options, CableCARD Menu, Conditional Access. There is an item "Val:" which should have a "V" 0x0n after it. The "n" is the number of times the card has been paired. If there is no "V", like blank or "?", your card is not paired. See diagram:
    ccCA.JPG

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  8. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Thank you.
    Bad news about the zap2it link.
    As for the CC, mine shows Val: V 0x0B (I assume 'B' has an equivalent numeric value).
    I will contact Spectrum Community Solutions again, to see if some of their channels (i.e. the ones I can't see) are now SDV (maybe the first tech was mistaken). Hopefully, I won't need a TA, as my current cabling setup is fairly clean. But if I do, I know how to install via previous help from others.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Good work. Yes, 0x0B is 11. If you want to check one more thing, find Diagnostics. It's in the Help, System Information list. Scroll past the tuners and you will see an entry for Channel List Received. That should be Yes. Note the VCT ID. That is your headend identifier. Most of the other items are not to be trusted.

10. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Mine says: Channel list received: Yes
    VCT ID: 6

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Looking like a TA. We can hope.

12. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Joe, Thanks for all of your help. If/when I get some resolution, I'll post again.

Teeps and JoeKustra like this.
  13. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Today I installed and paired a TA. I now have (at least some of) the "missing" channels. I suspect they will all be there, I just haven't gone through to check each one. The TA seems a little unstable - it took a good 20+ minutes to pair and even then the tech had to end the call because the pairing didn't succeed (i.e. the light never went solid). That is, not until she had just hung up and then within a minute, the blinking light went solid and it appeared to be a success. However, a few minutes later, TiVo reported no TA present. I disconnected the USB cable and rebooted the TA and it came back. We'll see how long it stays (so far it's been a good hour). I already had the TA plugged into a switched adapter (Leviton 1470) and I just ordered an in-line USB switch on Amazon that switches data and power. This forum rocks!

HerronScott likes this.