Replaecment Hard Drive for Huges DTV HDVR2

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wimberle, Jan 24, 2006.

1. wimberle

wimberle New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I have a Huges Directv HDVR2 that has never been modified in any way and is out of warranty. Apparently the hard drive has failed. The drive is a 3.5 Series Maxtor Fireball 3 ATA / 133 HDD 40 GB. I would like to purchase a replacement drive to get this unit working again. I'm not really interested in more capacity or hacking the system in any way. If I can get additional space simply by default of replacing the drive, that's fine by me. Can someone put me on the correct path to doing this as inexpensively as possible? I appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

2. fredload

fredload New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    Arizona
    If you don't want to hack the unit your might go to weaknees.com or PTVupgrade.com and purchase one of the drives that is already formatted and ready to install. You can pick the drive size and just open your TIVO and replace.

3. smithken31100

smithken31100 Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Hockeytown
    I think you're going to get more capacity even if you don't want it. The HDVR2 originally came with a 40 gig drive and I don't think you can find a new 40 gig drive any more. Even if you can it would probably be expensive compared to today's prices for hard drives.

4. wangmaster

wangmaster New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    circuit city has a Seagate 200GB 5yr warranty harddrive for 69.99 after warranty.
    That'll be cheaper than any 40gb drive you can find. Drives in that size are now basically a niche market for embedded/oem use, so if you buy one yourself it'll likely be pricy.

most modern 7200 drives are as cool (if not cooler) than 5400rpm drives, and are usually as quiet, or not much louder.

If you don't already have an install image you'll want to spend 19.99 to get the pvt instant cake 6.2 cd image for your dvr model.

You can get cheaper too. The various brick and mortar stores regularly have 120-160gb drives for under 50 bucks after rebate (i paid 35 bucks for my 160gb seagate).

Any of those drives will work fine for you.

5. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Weaknees.com also have original 40GB pulls for about $37.