Replacment OEM DVD burners for Humax DT800 and DT400's

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Humax_Magician, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jan 2, 2007 #1 of 41
    Humax_Magician

Humax_Magician New Member

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

I have 2 of these machines and both DVD burner's wore out or failed.

Humax was no help

I got alot of advice from on here about what to do and all I wound up doing was buying alot of DVD burners that DID NOT WORK.

I finally got a CASE of 24 OEM DVD burners for Humax Units from a wholesaler in china. ?I had to buy a case to get even one.

I replaced both of mine (plug and play/burn in 5 min) and they work like NEW !

Im keeping 2 spares each, but still have 18-20 or so brand new ones.

Let me know if your looking to get a spare or replace a bad one.

The Humax Magician

2. Jan 2, 2007 #2 of 41
    tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    So you're saying if I were to try replacing the burner in my drt-400 with a dual-layer burner I couldn't?

3. Jan 2, 2007 #3 of 41
    TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
  4. Jan 2, 2007 #4 of 41
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I don't know why you had to buy 24 units as I posted a $40 solution per unit Here

5. Jan 3, 2007 #5 of 41
    Awalt

Awalt New Member

Dec 1, 2006

Advertisements

How much did you pay for the case and how much are you asking for the rest?

6. Jan 8, 2007 #6 of 41
    Total1

Total1 New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Do you know if this drive will work in a Pioneer Elite DVR-57H?

Is it simply a question of if the drive is supported by the Tivo software, or does the hardware between various Tivo models affect what drives are supported in each model?

I also read the post about the replacement Pioneer DVR-111D drive working but don't want to get what another person reffered to as a "flakey drive" that might not work for some unknown reason... and Pioneer wants $347 for a replacement drive direct from them (not a chance).

7. Jan 9, 2007 #7 of 41
    TigerTony

TigerTony New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    I just put a PIONEER DVR-111D in my DRT800 with no problems. $32.49 from newegg.

8. Jan 9, 2007 #8 of 41
    Humax_Magician

Dec 22, 2006
    As ussual people on here post all these inexpensive solutions that "DO NOT WORK"

The wholesaler who gets me other things that I sell for my home buisness required a case (24). Everything I buy from him is bulk.

E-mail me if you want one I have about a dozen left they are going fast.

If you own this DRT800 or DRT400 you burner WILL STOP WORKING . . . . Be proactrive and get a OEM unit now !

Don't buy burners not ment for your tivo only to find out they don't work of screw up your tivo.

Humax Magician

9. Jan 9, 2007 #9 of 41
    tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    How long did it take to stop working?

10. Total1

Total1 New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    I know its not the same model your asking about... but... my Pioneer Elite DVR-57H was purchased new around 3 years ago. I use the DVR frequently and have probobly burned 300+ DVD's before the DVR drive died.

When it died, I went to burn a DVD and everything looked normal so I went back to live TV as usual. A minute or so later my Tivo's video became choppy. When I accessed Tivo Cental I noticed that the DVD was no longer burning and it said there was still a blank one in the drive. When I tried to burn the same video it acted odd and ignored the request. At this point I decided to reset the Tivo and it never came back online and simply said "Powering On" on the unit itself and "Just a few minutes longer" on the screen freezing there, never actually finishing the boot process or getting back to Tivo Cental. Once I unplugged the DVR drive the Tivo would boot normally. Plugging the DVR back in it would not boot again.

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That is better price than I payed and I have had no problems with that model in the Humax DRT400 or DRT800.

12. Total1

Total1 New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    I recieved a Pioneer DRV-111D today and at first it seemed to work in my Pioneer Elite DVR-57H Tivo, but I jumped the gun....

It works where it now lets the Tivo compleate the boot process, the Tivo seems to detect the drive, and it can be ejected by the front button or within the menu system.

I does not actually work though... it can not detect the media type of any DVD in the drive.... either a blank DVD, a burned DVD or an original DVD.... none work.

:(

13. Total1

Total1 New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    I am also curious.....

14. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    It works great in the Humax units as I tried all the functions

15. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    I don't know why a Pioneer drive won't work in a Pioneer TiVo, but it does work in a Humax TiVo. I also just installed a DVR-111D in my DRT-800, worked fine. Thanks to the person who discovered this first, Les Daniels I think.

16. Humax_Magician

Dec 22, 2006
    see new thread or e-mail me LOL

hope everyones new year is as good as mine !!!!!!

HUMAX MAGICIAN

17. Humax_Magician

Dec 22, 2006
    hmmmmm . . seems Tydal has issue with me

I have been able to help about a dozen people

Still have a few

Have a great day

Humax Magician

18. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Me too. I think you could be a little less conspicuous. Perhaps rather than posting several times a week that you have the best/only option for Humax DVD burner repair, maybe you could just hang around answer other DVD TiVo related questions and make mention that you have replacement burners in you signature?

U cud also tri using corrected up grammar and speeling :rolleyes:

Later,
    Roger

19. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Ah and then jabbing at me in another thread.

You're not gonna make many friends around here like that

Thanks, Chester, for backing me up

20. tai-pan

tai-pan New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    semi-rural GA
    my search on newegg came up empty