Replacing the internal hard drive in the THR22

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by BOBCAT, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I know that back when the HR20 21,22,23 came out, that all you had to do is replaced the internal hard drive with a larger capacity, fire up the receiver and the receiver formatted the drive and you were up and running.
    I wonder if the THR22 will do the same?
    Anybody have any info on this?
    I know that there is a warranty seal on the back, but not worried about that.
    Don't want to deal with an external drive as the unit draws enough power as it is. Don't want to have another 15 or 20 watts of power spinning the meter 24/7.
    I guess I could just install one and see what happens, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work, and would have to put the original drive back in.

2. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I wonder if I connect a 1TB drive to the external ESATA port and let the box format and set it up, then take the drive and install it internally, it would be good to go?
    Would be a simple process if that works.

3. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Also, does the external drive copy the now playing recordings over from the internal drive so you don't loose any of you programs? Or are they still accessible from the internal drive.

4. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Forbidden subject??

5. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Got my answer.
    Not going to upgrade for now. will just see how much the 500GB drive holds over the next year or so.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Not "forbidden", just off topic, because it is not TiVo hardware which normal TiVo upgrade of procedures would apply.