Replacing the internal hard drive in the THR22

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BOBCAT, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I know that back when the HR20 21,22,23 came out, that all you had to do is replaced the internal hard drive with a larger capacity, fire up the receiver and the receiver formatted the drive and you were up and running.
    I wonder if the THR22 will do the same?
    Anybody have any info on this?
    I know that there is a warranty seal on the back, but not worried about that.
    Don't want to deal with an external drive as the unit draws enough power as it is. Don't want to have another 15 or 20 watts of power spinning the meter 24/7.
    I guess I could just install one and see what happens, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work, and would have to put the original drive back in.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I haven't seen any posts where anybody has tried this yet. Just realize that all of these boxes are leased, so you would be violating the lease agreement by modifying the internal hardware.

3. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I'm sure that D* knew when they released these, that people would want a larger hard drive. They should have used a 1TB in the first place if they wanted to avoid having people pop the hood on these. The 500GB drives are becoming less available. Fry's doesn't even have them anymore. 1TB drives are as cheep as the 500GB use to be. Even Weaknees stated that they would have a 2TB drive available for these soon.
    Don't think that D* will bust anyone's chops over installing a larger hard drive.
    All they will really do is void your warranty and if the DVR fails down the road, D* will not replace it without charging for a new unit.
    I hope that down the road when the next production run on these start up, D* has 1TB drives installed.

4. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I wonder if I connect a 1TB drive to the external ESATA port and let the box format and set it up, then take the drive and install it internally, it would be good to go?
    Would be a simple process if that works.
    I know that if you connect the external drive, it takes over from the internal drive.

5. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Also, does the external drive copy the now playing recordings over from the internal drive so you don't loose any of you programs? Or are they still accessible from the internal drive.

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No copies.

7. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    So you loose any recordings that you have on the internal drive when the external drive is plugged in?

8. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I guess I should have said that you have no access to the recorded programs on the internal drive when the external drive is plugged in?

9. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Is info on replacing the internal drive with a larger one a forbidden subject?
    There was a lot of info on this when the HR20 was out back in 2008, but that was the D* DVR software, not the TiVo GUI.

10. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If it's like the DirecTV Plus DVRs, it is as if the internal disk was replaced by the external. You don't lose what's on the internal but you can't see it either.

I don't know that discussion of upgrading the drive is "forbidden" - after all, Weaknees is selling boxes with upgraded drives - but you do violate your lease agreement if you do so. I expect we'll see discussion of it down the road.

11. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Ok, Thanks Steve.
    Guess I'll just run with the 500GB drive and see if the hard drive gets close to being filled before I go for a larger hard drive. No use in jumping right in and hack it up before the real hackers around here start playing with it.
    The only thing that I ever did with the HR10-250 was install a 1TB drive, otherwise it is completely stock.
    Hopefully, down the road, the drive can be copied over to the larger drive with the recorded programs.

12. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    If you own the unit, yes. It works exactly the same. If you lease it, you violate TOS.

13. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Wonder how weaknees gets away with selling these with a 2TB drive installed?

14. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    They own the units. They bought them. Wehn you get a DVR from D*, you don't buy it. No matter what it is, if you own it, you decide what can or cannot be done with the device. If you do not own it, it is not legal to do anything to that device without the consent of the owner. This is not a difficult concept, and it matters not in the least what you or anyone else would like to do with a device you or they do not own.

15. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    I think that in about 6 months to a year, I'll try to get D* to change my THR status from leased to owned. Don't think that I will need more recording space until then. I have heard of people being successful in doing this.
    Has anyone seen a posting with a view of the inside of these?

16. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    Its the same as a stock HR22-100, with the exception of a microchip that is stamped THR22-100 on it with a date.

17. GovGeek

GovGeek New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I can confirm the above statement. I had an external 2TB eSATA HDD attached to my HR22-700 that I chose to reassign to my new THR22-100. I left everything intact (recordings, scheduling, etc.) just to see how the new THR would deal with a HDD being attached with HR22 data. But first I set-up the THR without the eSATA and configured a few season passes, suggestions, ect.. I then let it marinate for 24 hours and it did it's job just fine. I then removed power and plugged in the eSATA HDD previously used by the HR22-700. When it powered on, it acted like a factory reset and I had to re-create the entire set-up every step of the way. It also wiped the entire contents of the HDD as well, which I expected to happen.

When it was done, I let it marinate for another 24hours with the eSATA HDD and it also worked normally. For kicks and giggles, I then removed power and unplugged the eSATA HDD. It booted from the internal drive and functioned per the original setup. It was simply began where it left off 48 hours previously configured.

FYI, the HR22-700 which was previously using the 2TB eSATA drive for over 1.5 years, it also started where it last left off 1.5 years ago. The shows, scheduling, etc. was tombstoned and preserved as though it was never used since 1.5 years ago. Interesting.

18. amseven11

amseven11 New Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Just upgraded my internal drive to a 2TB Samsung 5400 drive, works fine

[​IMG]

19. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    How did you do it? If you just put a new drive in and it formatted it, then that answers why the THR doesn't have the Premiere UI and features--the software is stored in ROM on the box itself and not on the hard drive.

20. amseven11

amseven11 New Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Yes put new drive it, it formatted itself.