REPLACING ROAMIO OTA WITH SMALLER HARD DRIVE

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bricco, Jan 18, 2021.

1. bricco

bricco Member

Mar 28, 2008

Advertisements

With TiVo since 1999. My Roamio OTA hard drive failed and I put in a working 500 GB I had handy. When I setup, a large pink window came up and advised me to call Tivo because I was downgrading software. Is this because the Roamio OTA can only operate with a 1 TB or larger drive. I thought these Roamio hard drives were interchangeable, in a pinch. I have several larger TiVo’s but use this for news shows that I delete and I like having an empty MY SHOWS folder on this TiVo. Do I need to buy a 1 TB or can TiVo Technical Support help me get the 500 GB to work. Thanks.

2. josim

josim Member

May 21, 2016
    South Carolina
    I don't know but, I have a Roamio basic and OTA. Both came with and still have the original 500 GB hard drives. So, I think the drive should work. Perhaps your attempt to downgrade the software is the reason for the warning? Good luck.

3. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Maybe, if you had TE4 on it, TE4 requires a larger drive maybe than 500 GB? Just an wild guess.

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Sounds like maybe the drive already had data on it from another TiVo? Have you tried wiping the drive and reinstalling it?

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

At one point I put a very small drive, significantly less than 500GB, into a Roamio Pro. It operated without any problems. I would concur with the guess above that this possibly a TE4 thing.