Replacing Pioneer DVD Burner

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by tivofanatic, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1 of 26
    tivofanatic

tivofanatic New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Orange...

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out how to replace my DVD burner in my Pioneer 810H. It seems the drive is connected to the front panel and I don't see any clips or screws to disconnect. Help!!

2. Feb 8, 2007 #2 of 26
    robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    You have to eject the tray and then remove the silver bezel. Apply some upward pressure on the bezel near the edges of the tray. The bezel is attached by two clips and will slide upwards away from the tray. Be careful not to break the clips on the bottom of the bezel, because then it won't stay on your replacement drive. One suggestion, try removing the front bezel from your replacement drive, to get the idea on how to do it. You'll have to eject the tray first, of course.

BTW, do you have a source for replacement DVD drives? What model DVD writer are you going to try? I've tried to replace the drive myself, with little success. Every DVD writer I try will work great when reading discs, but won't write discs. My theory is there is a special version of the firmware in the DVD writer.

Good luck.

3. Feb 8, 2007 #3 of 26
    tivofanatic

tivofanatic New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Orange...
    Thanks for the great info. Haven't thought about a DVD burner, but I did think there may an issue with the firmware. Have you tried using either an external DVD burner or a DVD burner instead of a VCR? I really like having the capability to burn to a DVD and I'm hoping not to lose that function.

4. Feb 8, 2007 #4 of 26
    robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Regarding using an external DVD writer. No, never considered that. The whole point of having the DVD writer in the TiVo was to avoid extra components. I just wish there was a way to replace the DVD writer with a similar/same model unit and to have it just work. But that might be asking too much.

robomeister

5. Feb 8, 2007 #5 of 26
    tivofanatic

tivofanatic New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Orange...

Advertisements

I know what you mean about wanting to have the burner in the TIVO. The dvd burner on this TIVO actually quit working more than a year ago. I bought the Toshiba TIVO with burner and I think the hard drive is going on that one. Next week I'm going to change out the hard drive and hopefully the burner will keep working on this one.

6. Feb 9, 2007 #6 of 26
    tivofanatic

tivofanatic New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Orange...
    I emailed Pioneer to see if it was possible to get a DVD burner replacement. If I send my unit to a repair center in Long Beach, I can get it repaired for a flat $200. I'm thinking it might be worth getting repaired. I live fairly close to Long Beach, so I could drop the unit off and not worry about shipping. Before I do that, I'm going set it up again and see if a miracle happened and the burner works again.

7. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    $200? :eek:Just buy a new Humax DRT400 for 99 refurbed from tivo.com instead! 3 month warranty!
    Yeah, you'll lose the free Basic service, but if (like me) you plan to subscribe it anyway, that's moot!

Ask/look around - you may even find a pre-upgraded system. I bet there are people that want to get rid of theirs and buy additional S3 units :)

8. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    That's a Humax. The Pioneer is far superior. Keeping it alive is worth big bucks.

9. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Riiiggghhhttttt. :rolleyes:

10. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    there was a thread about replacing the dvd recorder drives in the humax boxes, so maybe you can find one online or ebay as they were for the humax.

11. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Yeah, I have a Humax box as well as the Pioneer. The Pioneer is absolutely superior. The most remarkable impact is with regard to TTG playback, something which has little to do with the burner itself.

12. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    TTG 'playback'?

'Far' superior?

Rrrriiiiggghhhttttt!

The Pio's use the same chipset for USB etc as the 240 Series 2, and the Humax is based on the 'newer' but slower 540 series units. So (on the Humax, as on the 540 units) transfers are a smidgen slower, menu population is (slightly more than a smidgen) slower. Viewing TV or Recording it isn't. Only those two are worth 'big bucks to keep alive'. YOMV (Opinion).

13. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    It's amazing how well you can see through my eyes. Thanks for telling me what I see. :rolleyes:

Get over yourself, eh?

14. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Look up 'Opinion' in your favorite dictionary and quitcher bickering :p

15. Awalt

Awalt New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    According to Chester the same DVD Burner's that work in the Humax will work for the Pioneer and Toshiba units as well. Check the Humax DVD Burner Replacement threads.

16. robomeister

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Are you referring to the Pioneer DVR-108BK burner or the DVR-111D burner as being a successful replacement in a Pioneer TiVo? These burners might work in the Humax and Toshiba TiVos, but I know for a fact that the DVR-108 will NOT work in a Pioneer TiVo. Believe me, I've tried. It will read all DVDs fine (pressed, DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs), but will not burn discs. Successfully burning a disc is my condition of success. In fact, I've tried the following DVD burner units: DVR-105, DVR-A05, DVR-106, DVR-A06, DVR-107, DVR-108, and DVR-109. All will read DVDs, but none will write/burn discs. So, for me, they fail as replacements in the Pioneer TiVos.

I haven't tried a Pioneer DVR-111D yet, but I read on this forum somewhere that this burner does NOT work in the Pioneer either.

My theory is that there is something special in the firmware in the burner itself. If the new burner doesn't contain the right firmware, any burn/write attempt will fail. But that is just my theory.

robomeister (still looking for a DVD burner replacement for Pioneer TiVos)

17. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Nope I never said that the Pioneer units used the same DVD unit. I did say that the Humax and Toshiba units are identical, and use the same PIONEER DVD drive.

The Pioneer models are much different. They were probably actually built by Pioneer. Very unique, they even have Philips screws! Plus they are true series 2 units (not 2.5), they don't need a PROM replacement to hack AFAIK.

I don't know the specific model of drive used in the Pioneer TiVos or where to source them.

Sorry,
    Roger

18. DuPeD

DuPeD New Member

Jan 13, 2006

I tried the 111D on a 57h. The system did not like the drive at all. One thing I did not try is loading it in a computer first and setting the region code, and THAN install it. I loaded it right out of the box. I might try that later .... but if you try it let me know. :rolleyes:

19. DuPeD

DuPeD New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    I think Bicker may be referring to the video processing, not the transport layers (USB, Processor and the like). Pioneer incorporates more 3D noise filtering and chroma compensation than the others.

20. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    True - I've always heard the Pioneers don't have quite the black crush and slight green tint some Humax units (luckily not mine) seem to exhibit.