Replacing Humax DVD Burner

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by VoigtRA, Feb 20, 2006.

1. VoigtRA

VoigtRA New Member

Sep 3, 2002

Advertisements

I have a Humax with the Pioneer DVR108-JA burner that appears to be having trouble reading DVDs (significant data loss on playback). Rather than send the unit for repair and go without Tivo for a few weeks, I'd rather simply replace the current DVR with a new one. I see dozens of variations on the Pioneer DVR108 available for purchase (-108D, -108DL, -108B, -108BL, 108BK) with prices ranging from $40 to $75, but none exactly match the JA model number in the unit. I can't compare specs since no one seems to have published specs on the -108JHA. Does anyone know if any Pioneer DVR-108 be installed as a replacement?

2. buddhawood

buddhawood Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Anderson,...
    They have some proprietary unit in the Humax and after market ones will not work. Call Humax and they should replace the entire unit for you.

3. VoigtRA

VoigtRA New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Unfortunately Humax offers 1 year warranty and unit is 13 months old...

4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Call them! Their current unwritten policy is to replace any defective unit for free.

Unfortunately Humax has discontinued this policy and now charges like everybody else for a replacement unit.

5. Mar 6, 2006 #5 of 20
    Ray Hughey

Ray Hughey New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    King George, VA

Advertisements

I have a Toshiba RS-TX60 that also has a DVR 108JA burner in it that doesn't work. I also have been unable to find a replacement. The Toshiba service center wants $50 to look at it. Is there any further word about a replacement, or whether the DVR 108 can be used?

6. YzermanOhio

YzermanOhio New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Ohio
    Help!!! I own a Tivo with a DVD recorder/player feature in the unit. The Humax model is DRT800. I too have had trouble with the player/burner portion of this unit. All I want to do is replace this signle part of my $350 unit that I bought a little over a year ago. The part number is DVR-108JA and I believe Pioneer is the manufacturer. I have exhausted all searches on trying to locate this part and this site seems to be the only place on the web that is of any help or has any information on this part.

Any and all help on finding where I can get the Pioneer 108JA (used or new....or whatever) would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! I am so new to all this and feel a tad overwhelmed. Again, thanks in advance ;-)

7. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Your best bet is to sell off your current unit and buy a replacement - both on eBay. FYI Humax wants $249 for a replacement DRT800.

8. jaybird13

jaybird13 New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    From my understanding, Pioneer made the 108JA specifically for Toshiba to put into these TiVos.

No other burner will work and you can't buy a new 108JA anywhere.

So your only hope is to find a busted Humax DRT800 and pull the drive.

9. Jun 3, 2007 #9 of 20
    Hanjive

Hanjive New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Santa...
    I am aware that no one has posted to this thread for some time... however I wanted to share some info about replacing DVD burner in the Humax DRT800. The "original" models came with the Pioneer DVR-108JA drives. Mine got to the point where none of the fixes (reset, resatrt, etc) worked. I hunted the internet and found a thread on the Weakness site that they offered to replace the drive in a customers HDRT. I contacted WK and ordered (what I thot) was a new DVR-108JA for $149.00 smackers. The repalcement drive arrived and it turned out to be a Pioneer DVR-109JA! I verified with WK that indeed this model drive was compatible with the DRT800. I did a google on the different drive model number and came across a few folks selling BRAND NEW units for $38 to $44 bucks! I again contacted WK asking if there was any reason to think these more affordable (brand new) same-model drives would not work in the Humax... to which WK replied "We have not tested random eBay units; the drive you have is authorized by Humax and came from a new Humax unit. "
    I placed my $149 WK drive to the side and ordered one of the reasonably priced (fair market value) units... it arrived yesterday and I installed it. Works as good as new ~ play and record! I'm actually going to purchase one more "random" unit and test drive it in my DRT800. Frankly, after rereading WK's comment... "the drive you have [DVR-109JA] is authorized by Humax..." I don't have any reason to think another "random" one from eBay WON'T work!
    BTW I purchased my Humax DRT800 in May of 2005. The DVR-108JA inside has a manufacture date of August 2004.

10. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
  11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    This keeps coming up with the DVD burners maybe this should be a sticky, go Here and get all the information about replacement DVD burners for all the Humax TiVos

12. MicahGentry

MicahGentry New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I just purchased the PIONEER DVR-112D to replace the DVR-108JA that was in my Toshiba RS-TX20. Works like a charm.

13. prauch

prauch New Member

Jan 22, 2008

Ditto that for my Humax box. Installation was simple, but make sure you have a torx T10 driver with a long enough handle. A shorter "L" shaped wrench won't reach the screws between the DVD drive and the hard drive.

14. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    And it is going to keep coming up even more as all these TiVo DVD are getting older with no new models being made anymore. I've got a replacement Pioneer drive on order model DVR-115. I'll post in here if this model works with my Humax DRT-800.

15. Alessan

Alessan New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Isn't the original drive an 8x write?
    IF I get a replacement I belive it would write at 18x

They still have DVR-115
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129018

16. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    If you haven't already read this in one of the other threads floating around, the Pioneer DVR-115D I installed in my Humax does work just fine. I don't think it uses the X18 speed as disks take about the same time to burn as the original drive did. Probably a limitation of the Humax software.

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The TiVo software is indeed limited to 4X burning, and single layer DVD-R/RWs.

18. dpecs

dpecs New Member

Sep 29, 2007
  19. Mars

Mars Member

Sep 13, 2001
    Traverse...
    Pioneer DVR-115D is beige.
    Pioneer DVR-115DBK is black.
    Pioneer DVR-115DSV is silver.
    Not sure there is a Pioneer DVR-115 plain. Probably a listing error at New Egg. Any of these will work. Color doesn't matter because it hides behind the Humax front drawer that is attached to the front panel, and stays behind when you change out the drive. Also any of the 112 family will work too.

20. ymeworry

ymeworry New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Just one more data point for you all. All of a sudden my upgraded (300GB) humax 400 that is over 3 years old started to spit out coasters last week (the dreaded burned failed at 0%) After several reboots and more coasters I came to the conclusion, that the dvd drive had died, so I purchased a PIONEER dvr-112d from mwave.com like other folks had suggested in other threads. I had a little trouble getting the bad drive out, bad after lots of wiggling it popped out. My first burn turned out great. Thanks for all the great advice here! BTW I my media of choice is Maxell DVD-Rs 16X from sams club.