Replacing HDVR2 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Alandra, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Alandra

Alandra New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Bloomington, IN

Advertisements

Since the 6.3e problem, I think it's time to replace my Hughes HDVR2 hard drive - especially considering that it's an extremely small hard drive (40 GB I think). I have an extra 80 GB hard drive that only has a SATA connection, and my understanding is that I need IDE.

Two questions:

1) Can I get the 80 GB SATA hard drive to work?

2) If not, can you recommend any good bargains on large sized drives that would work as an upgrade?

Thanks!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    If you can wait a month I used to work for an PC distributer and can tell you the lowest prices of the year occur at the end of January. When dealers have to return Items that were fronted for Christmas.

4. Alandra

Alandra New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I should have specified - I'm planning to go the Instantcake route. As soon as I get a hard drive lined up, that is...

Thanks for the hard drive info. I'll have to buy a drive with IDE.

5. Alandra

Alandra New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Bloomington, IN

Advertisements

Hmmm... unfortunately I don't want to wait. If I was really willing to wait, I'd just hope that DirecTV would send out an update to fix this damn problem around the beginning of the year. This is as good an excuse as any to upgrade to a larger drive, and I need to do it while I have free time over the holidays.

Now, is there a way to extract my recorded programs off the old drive? I have a TV appearance on there that it would be a shame to lose. I tried transferring it to VHS (yuck), but the Tivo keeps stuttering so the recording sucks. I'm not hopeful, but I figured I would ask...

6. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    www.MFSlive.org download MFSlive-1.3b.iso, burn it to CD,boot from it follow full instructions. be prepare to pay $50.00 to $100.00 more for the disk. Most dealers are out of the DVR 500 GB drives now.