1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing Hard Drive In Tivo 658000

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Louie 57, Sep 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Louie 57

Louie 57 New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Hello All,
    My hard drive is failing on my Tivo series 3 658000. Starting to get freeze ups and have to restart then works a few months before it freeze up again. Once in while get pixilated images.

Trying to make some sense and procure information from the FAQ on replacing the hard drive before the original one fails completely, Tivo is working fine at the moment.

Want to upgrade to 2TB drive, it appears the WD20EFRX is the correct drive to purchase?

Have downloaded winMFS.
    Is there a section or thread someone can please point me to that describes the procedure to copy my working drive to a new one? I Have a working windows 10 computer to install the drives in to copy.
    Thanks in advance, Louie

2. drhendrix

drhendrix Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Loveland, OH
    Louie, try reading through this thread. There are some posts with step wise descriptions.

3. Louie 57

Louie 57 New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    The more I read the more I get confused on what to do. I would like to copy my 1gb TiVo drive (including recorded programs and setting) to a new 2 gb drive. Can someone please point me to a step by step procedure and what software to use. Feeling pretty lost right now.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    WinMFS is going to be the easiest route for you to take. You have WinMFS 9.3f?

WinMFS is pretty straight forward to use. Connect both drives to your PC and then right-click on WinMFS and select Run as administrator. It's been a long time since I've actually used it on our older S3 and HD's so I'll have to refer to others for more details.

Try taking a look at this post.

Where is Windows winmfs.exe in 2016? Steps for newbie to replace Series3 HD?

and here as well

A Guide to Upgrading Your Tivo Bolt, Tivo Premiere, Tivo Roamio, Tivo Roamio OTA, Tivo HD, Tivo Series 3 or Tivo Series 2 (Easily upgrade your Tivo Bolt, Roamio or Premiere to 300 Hours+ HD Capacity) - Also includes instructions on how to fix a broken Tivo.

Note that Unitron indicates you should not let WinMFS automatically expand but do the mfsadd as a separate step on the new drive afterwards and you don't have to make a backup copy to your PC as the second link indicates.

Scott

5. Louie 57

Louie 57 New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Wanted to thank both of you for replying to my post and giving me the helpful info that was needed to swap drives.
    Removed the old drive today and installed a WD20EFRX using WinMFS 9.3f.

It booted right up and is working fine! Had the new capacitors on hand but all the ones in the PS looked good. Will keep them for a future time.

The date on the original 1 gig drive was 2009! Amazed it still worked. Have 300 hours of recording space now.

Did find out my fan needs to be replaced. Makes noise during boot up but then quiets down.

HerronScott likes this.