Replacing Comcast (finally) now that XOD is going away - but with what?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by funchefchick, May 23, 2019.

1. funchefchick

funchefchick FunChefChick

Feb 15, 2014

Advertisements

I have been a Tivo customer since … maybe the first version. A long time. I've been using exclusively Comcast for internet and cable this whole time even though they are expensive and terrible. I have as many terrible support stories as anyone and yet: when it works, it just works and I don't have to think about it (except when paying the bill). Lately however my wifi is glitchy as heck (bought my own router and when I complained about signal strength they assured me that I needed THEIR router - now I have theirs and it's still glitchy and terrible) and I can't believe what I am paying per month for cable service. The thing is I find the idea of cutting the cord overwhelming. Can anyone tell me what I can replace Comcast with?

Here's what I need:
    - Premium movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore, etc. the rest of them too just because)
    - Major broadcast networks
    - USA, Bravo, E, History Channel, Smithsonian, Food network, HGTV, etc. etc. The cultural/social stuff.

I don't need: sports stuff. The non-English speaking channels. Probably other stuff.

I have Netflix and Hulu and multiple Tivo devices each with a cable card. I almost exclusively watch things on my Tivos/tvs. Rarely on my iPad.

What can I use instead of Comcast for my cable needs? I might be stuck with them for internet service .. . but I'd be happier if I could use any decent/affordable alternative for cable. !

Someone just suggested Hulu Live but I don't know anything about it other than no Tivos are listed on its 'supported devices' page.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get away from Comcast? Today was just the last straw.

I'm in the PNW near Seattle if that matters. thanks!

2. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I keep evaluating this same question and so far I can't beat the bundles. I don't really care about Cinemax or Starz but to get HBO and Showtime with my bundle discount is not yet competitive buying them as separate stream packages.
    Also if I downsize my triple play premier I would go to a lower speed tier as well.

I will be interested to see what others say!

3. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If you stay with Comcast for internet, see about getting a Double Play package of internet and Limited Basic. This will give you local channels, in my case I get more locals than I can easily tune with a rooftop antenna. The cost should be within about $5 of just internet. When I had it I had 25 Mbps internet which was typical speed at the time.

Then look into any of the streaming TV options,, although you may run afoul of monthly bandwidth caps. When 5G finally comes out you'll be able to get TV over that signal. T-Mobile has TV service now but for the time being it requires a separate internet connection - but they should be able to move it to their 5G service within a couple of years.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you watch things via Tivo recordings, then why do you care ***THAT*** much that VOD is going away? Don't get me wrong, it bummed me too to read the message.. (Though supposedly they're working to bring it back -- I wonder which Tivos that means though if they do..)

Is it streaming-based? if so, bummer, since that'd probably mean as slow a startup as amazon on Tivo.. ( so slow I basically never use it, and switch to AppleTV)

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001

Advertisements

For me, On Demand is especially useful when you hear about a new show and want to marathon past seasons. It's also helpful when your Tivo guide data messes up and cuts off a show short, or the cable acts up and digitally goes on the fritz (rare but happens) or doesn't record a show altogether due to a foul up in the guide data. I use On Demand as a backup to view something that was missed, etc. Also, all TV viewing via On Demand on the TiVo doesn’t affect network usage and does count against Internet data caps.

Those are some reasons why I use On Demand and not having it as an option sucks.

fenwic likes this.
  6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yeah, these are the cases I use it too.. but again, it's fairly rare for me. Except for the expanded VOD thing they have (is that StreamPix?), most shows to me don't seem to have many back seasons, unless you mean paying for episodes.

7. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Can’t you just stream xfinity on demand stuff to Apple TV? I don’t think I have used the Tivo app in a long time and as they say it’s kind of clunky.

8. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Nope.

This seems to be a duplicate thread of the other, but here's what I posted in the other thread when I tried to stream stuff from the Xfinity Stream app on my iPad, and send it to the AppleTV:

I just picked a random show to stream on the Xfinity Stream app on my iPad.
    It plays fine on my iPad/iPhone.

When I try to send the program over to my AppleTV, I see the following message:

[​IMG]

And of course, Xfinity doesn't make a version of the Xfinity Stream app available for the Apple TV.

This sucks.

9. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If you have a Roku box or Roku TV, the Xfinity app is free while in Beta and allows watching live and on-demand programming.

The UI on the Roku has lots of pictures but otherwise isn't really an improvement on the TiVo's OnDemand UI at first glance, if you can believe that.

PSU_Sudzi and inaka like this.
  10. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    What a mess. And it sounds like after the beta is up they’ll be extra costs for this.

Doesn’t (mostly?) every Comcast TV account come with a free cable box? (Not a DVR but just a dumb cable box?) I have the double play with all premium channels so I think it should come with it.

If so, and if that is still free, I’d likely just get that for when I want to view On Demand content on Comcast. Still a headache.

11. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    If you currently have a TiVo your bill should have a small discount on it to reflect that they're renting you the CableCARD and not the whole set-top box. Adding a set-top box would cause a small increase in your monthly cable bill (maybe $5-10, depending on whether you can convince them that it's all on the same TV).

12. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    I think it's included with my package. I just checked and I guess I get an "AnyRoom DVR"?

[​IMG]

I've never used it since I have two lifetime TiVos.

13. Agrajag

Agrajag Member

Sep 8, 2001
    Sewell, NJ, USA
    What this most likely means for me is that it's time to consider dumping both Comcast and my TiVo. I have a Roamio OTA and it was really great at first, but now I'm just not at all sure what the point of it is any longer. It's nowhere near as snappy as my Shield and now it's only going to provide a limited experience for cable.

14. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I have a Comcast X1 dvr with 500GB. I use it for recording sports and watching On Demand. X1 dvr is included with my Xfinity package.

I use a Bolt Vox 3TB with cablecard for everything else including Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. The cablecard is $7.50 a month.

15. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You can get all of that through streaming alternatives, but you'll probably wind up paying as much or more than what you'd be paying for a Comcast bundle. And with the streaming alternatives, you won't be able to skip commercials.

16. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Normally the $134.99 includes renting a set-top box, but since you have a TiVo, does your detailed bill have a line for "Customer owned equipment?"

You should see a discount of about $2.50 on the main outlet and the second outlet fee should be ~$7.50 instead of $10. Or you could be like me and the equipment section of your bill could be screwed up.

Essentially, the FCC regulations require Comcast to break the equipment fee into a portion for the tuner and a portion for the cable card, and charge you less if you're only renting the cable card.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  17. giomania

giomania Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Your Wi-Fi issues should be addressed, as they are not going away. If you are not technically inclined to install multiple AP’s to cover your house, I recommend checking out www.smallnetbuilder.com reviews of Wi-Fi mesh routers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    In response to your message to me last night, today I sent a (very) long message to your Inbox to help you sort through your options. Boils down to these:
    • stick with Comcast TV and continue using your TiVo
    • switch to satellite TV
    • switch to streaming cable TV (either YouTube TV/PS Vue/DirecTV Now + Philo)
    Your message to me didn't mention premium channels, so I didn't include those. But you can get all them now as standalone streaming services through their own apps if you go the streaming route. HBO Now is $15, Showtime is $11, Starz/Encore is $9, and Epix Now is $6.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  19. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Ahhh yes, thank you. I do have a Customer owned equipment line item discount of $5.00, but I always thought that was because I owned my own Internet modem and didn't rent one from them. Shows generically as:

Customer-Owned Equipment - May 08 -$5.00

I have two Tivos. Thus, I have an additional cable card rental listed as:

Digital Add'l Outlet Svc $9.95 Includes CableCARD

I guess if I rent one of those AnyRoom DVRs from Comcast, I lose the $5 discount above, but I don't pay the $9.95 additional Cable Card, making it a $4.95 savings?

Ill call them. I want to keep On Demand as an option.

20. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    I just called Comcast and got a very knowledgable Rep who told me they literally just had a meeting on this about On Demand and Tivos about 10 mins prior to my call. Thought I'd share my results if this assists anyone.

When I called 1-800-COMCAST, I got a recorded message that said, "On Demand will no longer work with your Tivo device starting in June. If you'd like to learn more, please press 1." So I did and got connected to the "Loyalty Department" and not the frontline CSR.

On my bill "Customer-Owned Equipment" is -$2.50 for every qualifying device. Since I have two of my own Tivos (-$2.50 each), I get -$5 off a month.

I currently don't use a Comcast Brand DVR, and have 2 lifetime Tivo's only. (That's why I have the additional Cable Card fee of $9.95 for the second Tivo)

So if I want On Demand (which I do) I can dump just one of my lifetime'd TiVos, (sell it on eBay) and keep my main Lifetime'd Tivo Premiere XL (which also has a Tivo mini connected in another room). And after dumping one of my TiVo's off my account, I can get a free X1 6-Tuner DVR from Comcast which includes On Demand.

There's no extra fee for this since it's already included with double play package.

I would lose the "Customer-Owned Equipment" credit of $5.00 and instead get a "Customer-Owned Equipment" of -$2.50.
    However, I would no longer be charged for the additional CableCARD, so that -$9.95 fee would go away.

End result is that my bill would go down by $7.45/mo, I still have one main Tivo, a connected Tivo Mini in another room, and a new 6-tuner X1 AnyRoom DVR from Comcast with On Demand.

I had the rep mock up the order and put notes on my account, and he read back the exact costs.

I guess it sucks that I lose one of my Tivo's, but I still have two main tivos, and the ability of On Demand, and playing with the new X1 DVR is kind of a fun option I guess. Plus, 6-tuners are nice. One step back, and one step forward, I guess, but the nice thing is that I pay less.

That works for me.

fenwic and mschnebly like this.