Replacing CableCard Roamio with OTA Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by phydeauxman, Jan 29, 2018.

1. phydeauxman

phydeauxman Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...

Advertisements

I have had my Roamio ever since they first came out as well as having a Gen 3. They both have the same interface so I was a little shocked when I got my new Roamio OTA and the interface was quite different. I am ok withe OTA interface but I don't see any Apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) even though the menu has a selection for Apps. When I try to click on it...it is empty. How do I get the Apps on it?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What's a "Gen 3" in the context of this statement? (There isn't any TiVo hardware model that's referred to as a "Gen 3," to the best of my knowledge.)

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That said, you'd probably need to perform a few service connections for the apps list to get updated (hopefully that's all it would take), but it's worth pointing out that you can revert from the new "Hydra/gen4" interface back to the previous "gen3" UI. See the first post in the following thread for details on how to rollback the UI to gen3:

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

4. phydeauxman

phydeauxman Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    I probably used the wrong terminology...I referred to the DVR generation prior to the Roamio as a Gen 3.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

That would be the Series 4 or Premiere. (A Series 3 would be pre-Premiere hardware.)

phydeauxman likes this.
  6. phydeauxman

phydeauxman Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    Sorry for not understanding this the first time I read it. While I have a house full of TiVos and Minis...I don't follow the forums. So I had no idea what Hydra even meant when you made mention of it here. I now know it is the new UI and is what is on my new Roamio OTA. I don't dislike it (love the guide) but I still have no Apps. I don't ever remembering having to wait for Apps to eventually show up on my Roamio with the Gen3 UI. I have forced it to connect like 3 times but still...0 Apps.

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Maybe 'uninstall' the listed Apps in Settings, force a connection, reboot, 'reinstall' the desired ones and force another connection...

-KP

8. phydeauxman

phydeauxman Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    Ran overnight and still have no Apps. Also noticed that Search and "What to Watch" don't do anything either.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just a wild guess, but since you have other working TiVo boxes, the new unit may have an account issue. Perhaps a chat with CS would be best.

krkaufman likes this.
  10. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Did you try uninstalling / re-installing?

-KP

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given it's a new setup, I'd still recommend a rollback to gen3. It's a whole lot easier to upgrade to Hydra after a few weeks than revert.

(And you'd definitely want to rollback to gen3 if you have any Minis in the mix, though I don't recall any being mentioned.)

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Very true. I did rollback my BF OTA since I wanted to see if it would be better with a fresh install. It didn't/doesn't.

BTW: "While I have a house full of TiVos and Minis...I don't follow the forums" post 6.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. phydeauxman

phydeauxman Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    I have 5 minis that are all on the Gen3 UI. Will they not work with the Gen4 UI Roamio? I don't mind rolling back and have seen quite a few topics on here about issues (although I have not seen anyone with the issue I have)...but I really like the guide in the new Gen4 UI.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The gen3 Minis would be able to stream content from the Hydra/gen4 Roamio, but not directly with the Hydra/gen4 configured as the Minis' host DVR.

A Mini will prompt to upgrade or downgrade its software if you select a host DVR running the alternate software branch.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Arguing with myself, I suppose it might also be said that it's wiser to give Hydra a trial on a fresh system with few recordings, since rolling back to the previous gen3 UI entails a factory reset and loss of all recordings and settings.

Good luck...!

kpeters59 likes this.
  16. phydeauxman

phydeauxman Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    I got it fixed. What I had to do is to go into the configuration to add an App to the an unused hotkey (added Netflix to 5) and then all of the Apps showed up and the other 2 menus items became functional.

kpeters59, tim1724 and krkaufman like this.