Replacement remote suggestions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by abellwillring, May 13, 2008.

1. abellwillring

abellwillring New Member

May 13, 2008

Advertisements

I'm on the fence about simply buying a TiVo HD (I don't have the HD service on my Digital Cable, but that's okay), but in the mean time it looks like I might need a new remote. I see some fairly cheap knock-offs on eBay and Amazon, but I'm looking for suggestions from folks on here. An official remote on Amazon costs $40 which I'd rather avoid.

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm not sure what you mean by knock-offs because the ones I've seen on ebay are actual Tivo remotes. Any Tivo peanut remote will control any Tivo except the Sony models. There are silver peanut remotes on ebay that were the OEM remotes for the UK SA Tivos that sell for less than $10. I've bought quite a few of these over the years to replace missing remotes for Tivos I've bought used.

3. Brute

Brute Member

May 14, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    You could always upgrade and get a harmony. :)

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    And except the Toshiba SD-H400.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004

Advertisements

If you want the TiVo Peanut remote but need learning capability to control a TV or receiver, then you should just get the TiVo Glo Remote.

6. keypwds

keypwds New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    While I don't have the HD version, and do not know how it differs from a series 2, the Harmony 670 works very well with TiVo, and after time I even think I like it better than the Peanut. Although I think they retail around $149, I found it for around $99 when I picked mine up a few months ago. After trying many other Universal Remotes, I think the Harmony is well worth the extra money for ease of setup.

Just be aware that they have cheaper models around for well under 100, but they are not all really designed with a DVR in mind. I initially picked up a 659 I believe at Sam's for around $59, but it was almost unusable to me in comparison to the Peanut because the play, FF, RW etc. were off to the bottom. Took it back the next day and researched a little to find the 670.

Here is a good place to start if you decide to spend money on the Harmony. It has updated most of the model reviews, and you may want to check their review sections as well. Also looked at one of the 8xx series, but I didn't like the idea of the rechargeable battery, instead buy the rechargable AA's
    http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-harmony/thread.cgi?4251,1

edit 1 - the 670 is on the second page. BTW, the Peanut retails on the TiVo site for $29
    https://www3.tivo.com/store/merchandise.do

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I have a couple of DirectTiVo remotes that I got from Woot awhile back. Works just the same as a TiVo remote except that the TiVo button has a DirecTV logo. I can let you have one for $5 plus shipping (I think it fits in an Express Mail box). PM if interested.

8. xboard07

xboard07 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Logitech Harmony One - the only remote!

The Tivo remote looks like a child's toy.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    He wants to spend less, not more.

I've been using the URC 6131. It's even got thumbs up/down buttons. At the time I got it, they were going for about $13 at Circuit City. It's much more programmable than most TiVo remotes (though perhaps not than the Glo remote). But the layout is slightly different.

10. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
  11. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Love the URC 6131.
    [​IMG]

Hate the URC 6131n.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, the original 6131 is rather hard to obtain these days. I bought several of them pre-modded with JP1 connections when I heard they were becoming scarce. I'd avoid the 6131n, the button layout didn't work well for TiVo, at least for my household.

12. keypwds

keypwds New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    I initially thought he meant $40 was to expensive for just a Tivo remote.

Thought I would bring up one other option if you have a Media Center PC. I picked one up, and while I doubt I would get it just for Tivo, it is a learning remote, has codes for Tivo, and will control the box fairly well. Has both IR as well as a RF Dongle for the Media Center PC.

From a Media Center standpoint, it is a fantastic RF remote via the RF Dongle that comes with the package and is good to about 100ft through walls (as with most RF remotes). Even has a Gyroscopic mouse control with left and right mouse buttons. It is normally $99, but can be found at Circuit City now for around $35

Again, if you only intendd to use it as a Universal remote for the TiVo, TV and maybe a reciever the cheaper options may be cheaper, better option. However if you Have a Media Center PC it may be a nice option that will still serve a purpose after you get the HD TiVo. For me, and owning a Harmony remote for my home theater, this one is actually a steal at $35 just to control Vista Ultimate or a Media Center, which is all I currently use it for.

http://www.gyration.com/p-68-media-...-control-windows-media-center-compatible.aspx
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gyra...sem/rpsm/oid/178884/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Have to check a little further, but it seems to control media features on other PC's without Media Center (iTunes, WMP, DVD Players etc, etc) with limited functionality. Just to be clear, the RF dongle only works for the PC and not the other options, which are through the IR.

13. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you have more than just a TiVo and a TV to control, then a universal remote is the only way to go.

14. abellwillring

abellwillring New Member

May 13, 2008
    I sent you a PM -- sounds like a great deal.

The idea behind a Harmony is really amazing, but honestly, if I was going to spend that much I'd just go ahead and get a new TiVo as a whole since it would only be another $50-100. As handy as the Harmony seems, I'd always feel like that money could be put to better use elsewhere personally. I can see how it would be easy to love though.

The Gyration remote looks tempting, but I currently already have an Xbox 360 remote (came with my HD DVD player... oops). I guess I'd never even considered whether or not it could be customized to work with a TiVo. Does anyone know if it can?

15. keypwds

keypwds New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    If it is the universal media remote it is only designed to work only with TV's and the 360, is not learning, and only has codes for TV's and states it will not control DVRs, PVRs, etc in the manual.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360universalremote/default.htm
    I actually bought that one, and didn't expect to get the Harmony, but just use it and the TiVo remote for TiVO, and it for the XBOX. However, in setting up my 360 with the system, I still would have needed one to even control the volume of the receiver or use both at the same time. Which after realizing it really wasn't a full universal remote, per se, eventually led to the harmony. At the time even the Gyration remote was $99 (picked it up later when it went to $35), otherwise I may have just bought it for all the functions, but glad now that I have the harmony. Not that the Gyration would not have served all the functions, just not as easily. The Harmony will basically set up the whole system with one button for the TiVo, Receiver, 360, etc. So if a at a latter time, you decide on a Harmony, it will control the 360 as well.

So unless there is some sort of unadvertised codes that I could not find, it will only control the TV and 360.

16. Bsteenson

Bsteenson TiVo is no BS

Jul 30, 2000
    Iowa
    If it matters, the main difference between a remote for the TiVoHD and Series I or II is the TiVoHD remote has a button to change the aspect ratio of the picture that is sent to the TV.

BS

17. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    So does the series 2 remote, but its called a window button.