Replacement for One True Media?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tefler, Sep 6, 2011.

1. tefler

tefler Member

Feb 28, 2003
    MA
    We have been using One True Media for the last two years to post videos of our daughter that get automatically downloaded to all of the grandparent's TiVos. This has been great as they can just go to Now Playing and see the new video.

Now that One True Media has announced they have dropped support for TiVo, we are trying to find an alternative that is as easy for the grandparents.

My hope is to find something that does the following:

- Prefer no PC requirement at receiving end (such as TiVo Desktop)
    - New videos show up in Now Playing
    - Supports Series 2 devices as that is what some of the grandparents have.

I have no problem if it is more difficult to setup from the server end, I just need it easy on the receiving end.

2. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Could you do something with Youtube?

3. tefler

tefler Member

Feb 28, 2003
    MA
    Youtube videos don't show up in Now Playing as far as I know. It requires a lot of menu navigation to get to a youtube video.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It can be done. All you need is to send a "push" request for the remote TiVo to the "mind" server, and have pretty much any web server ready to receive the request from the remote TiVo.

pyTivo has a few mostly-undocumented patches by Keary Griffin (of Streambaby fame) to facilitate this.

Create an entry for the remote TiVo in your pyTivo.conf file:

[_tivo_123456789]
    tivo_username = foo@example.com
    tivo_password = bar
    external = True
    name = Grandma's TiVo

where the username and password are those for the grandparents' account, if different from yours, and the part after "_tivo_" in the section name is the actual TSN. In the "Server" section, add something like this:

[Server]
    externalurl = http://yourserver.dyndns.com

I haven't actually tested this, as I have no one to send to. It used to work for Keary, but may have fallen victim to bit rot. (As I look at the relevant code now, I see what looks like a problem, but again, I have no way to test it.)

5. tefler

tefler Member

Feb 28, 2003
    MA
    Thanks! pyTivo seems to be doing the trick. My only concern is that I need to leave the whole pyTivo service open to the Internet. I removed the settings plugin to at least limit what can be accessed, but I haven't had a chance to review the code to make sure there isn't anything else that someone could get access to. It would be great to have it limit was is available externally but leave the rest available internally.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You don't need to remove the Settings plugin. That's what the "nosettings" setting is for.

Keary was of course ahead of you on the access control thing. :) You can use the keyword "allowedips" in the Server section. This works even if there isn't a fixed IP for the remote TiVo, because it also allows TiVos specified in the config (as above) to connect. So, for instance:

[Server]
    allowedips = 127.0.0.1

would limit access to the localhost interface + specified TiVos.

7. akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    I had heard nothing about OTM phasing out Tivo sharing until I read this. I'm devastated! With far flung family, Tivo sharing through OTM has been a mainstay of sharing family media as our girls grew up. What a bummer!

I have 10 shares left - do you know if I can still use them if it's still all set up?

What a BUMMER!